Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Comprehensive Claim=Increased Rates?

Old Dec 6, 2008, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comprehensive Claim=Increased Rates?

Well, wouldn't you know it....I've been driving for almost 30 years now and have never run into the dreaded "truck tire carcass" laying in the road until now, and it happens with my new X .

The damage is minor, but it will require more than my $100 deductible to fix.

For those of you that have filed a Comprehensive Claim (car keyed, egged, road debris. etc.) how did it effect your rates?

If you did get a rate increase, was it just on the comprehensive portion, or all around?

My insurance company (Nationwide) has been of no help, saying they can't determine if or what a potential rate increase would be until they have an estimate and match it against the "threshold" for the car (whatever that is)

Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife made a comprehensive claim, which was followed by a rate increase. I don't bother making claims for anything unless it's significantly more than the cost of the deductible now.

On the other hand, you asked your insurance company about it already. You probably weren't aware, but simply making such an inquiry can be counted as a claim. The rationale being that they now know that something happened, which means you're at higher risk for something happening in the future. I fell into this trap once. I decided it wasn't worth a rate increase after talking with the insurance company and getting an answer the same as yours. I paid out of pocket, but my rates increased anyway. The event also showed up on my CLUE insurance report.

Since you already talked to your insurance company, my advice to you is to pay your deductible and let them cover the rest. At this point, the damage may already be done.

I know that's not the news you wanted, and maybe your insurance company doesn't do it, but my reading online after the incident showed it was a pretty widespread practice. Maybe someone who's made a comprehensive claim with Nationwide can chime in on what their policy is. Good luck with your repair.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Dec 6, 2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

I would pay the claim if it is under 1000 or 500
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:27 AM

I have a $ 500 deductable, but i pretty much pay for any damage up to $1000, because its not worth the rate increase. My rule of thumb is i want it to be atleast double of my deductable so i feel like i am getting a good deal and its a worthy cause.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

In my line of work i advise people not to make accident reports if the damage is minor.sometimes people want them anyway.once report is done its in the system and when your renewal comes around your insurance company looks for unreported accidents in dmv systems.yes you will get one w/o vaseline and youll be screwed for the next 3 years or so.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Insurance will raise rates for any reason they want. Each state has different rules as governed by the state insurance board.

As gizmotoy stated, almost every inquiry you make to your insurance company ends up on your CLUE report. It's a sad fact, but true.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

I'm a claim adjuster with one of the big auto ins companies...I won't say who though. Anyways, if you look at your policy doc it'll definitely fall under comp (missle, projected obj). With your ins history (no claims within the last few years) it shouldn't affect your premium at all. Especially for something that was at "no-fault". In this particular case, it would be a no brainer to make a claim under comprehensive. Comp is good.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

As a Regional Claims Manager, I am looking at this a little differently. Technically, if the item/tire was sitting in the road and you struck it, its a collision since you collided with a stationary object. If the item/tire was coming at you from the air or the the vehicle, then it is a comprehensive loss.

Second, there are numerous reasons why your rates can be raised and it depends not only on your carrier, but also how their actuaries/underwriting department determine types of discounts. Many carriers have a non accident discount that has nothing to do with fault. As such, while you may not be at fault, you will lose a discount, which will increase your rates.

Finally of course, it depends on the state as each has different regulatory requirements when it comes to coding/charging.

Good luck
Old Dec 6, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, i should've read the OP a little more carefully. I didn't see that the carcass was lying in the road...not projected at the car. Yes, it would certainly be covered under collision. My mistake. In this particular case sspaladin28 is quite right.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 03:35 PM

wow looking over this thread I had no clue about some of the things insurance companies do..sheesh car insurance is a joke imo. Anything short of a total loss is pointless it seems
Old Dec 6, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

ive been in several accidents and even withdrew claims in which they STILL tried to increase my rates. dude, stay away from insurance and pay out of pocket or they will grab you by the hips and make you feel very uncomfortable in da butt

<---- you see my expression in the avatar pic, thats what you will feel like.

insurance =
Old Dec 6, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the informative responses!

I ended up filing a claim with Nationwide, given the nature of the damage. As the tire debris was thrown into my car by the car in front of me, Nationwide is deeming it as comprehensive damage.

From talking to Nationwide today (found someone was helpful "kind of off-the -record") the lower the total dollars toward the claim, the less effect it will have on my rate going forward.

With that said, I put the car up on jacks to see if ther was any damage not visible from a normal view (everything checked out OK). Some of the damage I was able to repair on my own (the fog light assemby was broken, but I was able to fix this, as well as the re-adjusting the bracket so the front bumper was back in alignment).

Overall, the insurance company will have to pay to repaint the passenger side skirt and replace the clear-bra on the front bumper, plus a few broken clips from the undertray and oil cooler.

I'll post up the results of any rate increase for something that will well under $700 in damages..
Old Dec 6, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

You can get an Appearance allowance from the Insurance company that will reduce your deductible by the items they do not fix...in this case the items you fixed yourself. You pay for coverage, so you should be compensated for losses that you claim. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me and I will assist you.

And insurance companies are hardly the Devil :-)

Ask anyone who has lost a home, a car, or worse yet a loved one. Insurance can and does help provide some sense of sanity to your life in these most horrible of conditions. Nothing is ever the same, but try recovering from these types of losses without insurance. One loss of tghe magnitude discussed above will typically cost more for the insurer than all the premiums that you will ever pay for the rest of your life.

Like anything else though, you should take the time to read your insurance policy (most people never take the time until they have a claim, then they complain about what isn't covered because they failed to add appropriate endorsements)

Good luck OP