Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Edmunds: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR vs. 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had considered one before I bought my evo. I still like the car.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't understand this? how is it that in this article from the same website:

[URL="http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=124209[/URL]

places the evo X 0-60 time at 4.9 seconds and in this article it places the evo X 0-60 time at 5.4 seconds. i know this test was done in an MR but can the MR really be .5 seconds slower than the GSR? sounds like they did some number fiddlin just to have an article to write. Otherwise it would have been:

"Not only does the Evo X go ***** out with the G8 in a straight line boasting a 0-60 of just 4.9 seconds, but it also outperforms in the slalom and on any road track ever conceived by man. There really isn't a comparison to do here, making my writing this and your reading this a complete waste of time."

damn, i should be a writer for edmunds....

Last edited by MR_Lance; Dec 8, 2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

I've admired, from afar, the G8 GXP for a few months now. When I saw it at the LA Auto Show a little more than a week ago, I kinda fell in love with it. I really enjoy the aggressive styling and interior appointments. I would only consider one with the 6-speed manual, though. And then I made the mistake of getting up close and personal with an Evo X a few minutes later. I had never sat in one prior to the car show. Now I seem to have forgotten the G8 whatchamacallit. I don't even have to drive the X to know that it's more of a driver's car than the Pontiac. Just the way the seat grabs you is telling enough. And any straightline advantage of the GXP can be overcome with a minimal investment in the X. Then you'd have the best of both worlds.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR_Lance
places the evo X 0-60 time at 4.9 seconds and in this article it places the evo X 0-60 time at 5.4 seconds. i know this test was done in an MR but can the MR really be .5 seconds slower than the GSR?
Yes.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

so you would buy an MR why exactly?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its ok GM and most "american" car companies is about to go broke! you don't see mitsu or honda asking for 43 billion! F - that!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

^Status?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chin0
its ok GM and most "american" car companies is about to go broke! you don't see mitsu or honda asking for 43 billion! F - that!
Sorry to post so soon but this one and mine were done almost simultaneously. Trying my hradest not to threadjack but I am in complete agreeance these companies should get what is coming to them. At the same time do you realize the ripple effect this will have on our economy. You think its bad now? The bottom will fall out for sure if Ford/GM go under.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Only reason the X didn't wipe out the G8 in ALL tests was cause the GXP is got 124 extra ponnies... but he stated "At the word "go," the heavy-lidded gaze of the G8's front fascia suddenly swells up in the Evo's rearview mirror." All Hail AWD and Evo;

Although the Shelby only had 5 more horses than the STI. But as soon as I saw the article I assumed it was all good and remembered somewhere in Japan, the X new main contender is the almighty GT-R (Subbie's STI considered no match seeing how this time around, the Evo won hands down [source: car-mags articles & comparos])
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

The way I see the GXP is basically a 4 door GTO, I didn't realize it stopped so good for a 2 ton car..........
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
they half a** the launch on the mr.if done right they would have launched around 5k.plus the evo running pig rich stock does not help.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by MR_Lance
so you would buy an MR why exactly?
The tranny excels on any track that doesn't require a start from 0
Old Dec 8, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
what looks more interesting is the article edmunds has on the gsr - since they already bought a base lancer and mr for long term tests they decided to get a gsr and mod it! they are going to be reporting periodically on their long term modded gsr - sounds pretty cool!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, what a time for this post to come out. I haven't seen the article, but...

I recently sold my EVO, and bought the G8-GT.. I was tired of stick, and the rawness of the car. Note: I've had the EVO since day 1, and many DSM's prior to that. Haven't owned a V8 since highschool days. I wanted a more refined car that still retained the "fun factor". The G8 gives you the fun and refinement.. I had my heart set on buying an MR, but the price was killing me. I needed a larger family car (I know I'm getting old). The G8 has the room, ammenities, and style. I know the X has changed a lot towards that category, but the price tag wasn't playin around. I got an incredible price on my trade 15k, and the actual sale price of the G8.. You can sit in the backseat and go for a swim if you want. You can put 3 dead bodies in the trunk. (haha) The styling is still aggressive, and looks great.

Do I miss the handling of the EVO? Hell yes.. But the G8 handles pretty damn good for it's weight. Nothing a coilover couldn't fix. I don't plan to go too crazy with the car, but a supercharger is definately in the near future. An instant 470RWHP just by slapping it on, with the stock exhaust. I was impressed with that.

Anyways, just wanted to give my point of view since I've owned both now. But my heart will always be with the EVO.. Peace out you lucky bastards!!!

John..
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Its fun.

Quick Reply: Edmunds: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR vs. 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP