Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is it a bad idea to Redline the Evo X Constantly?

Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornerstrike
Word. I thought you were a straight noob if you really believed that the K20 was the stock S2K engine. Well, at least you realized your mistake. Or did you?

Regardless, my point was not to start a flame war or for you guys to argue who knows what, who raced what, etc. But I guess in this mess of opinions there are a lot of good points. Thanks.
yeah I did. Simple brain slip...
I don't think you started anything... some people are just a bit... troubled. My point was, different engines behave differently - as I'm sure you're already well aware of considering your car history.

Originally Posted by heavyD
Yes the K20 has space age materials inside and the srongest engine internals ever put into a production car lol. This thread is quickly becoming one of the most embaressing thread I've seen so far on these boards. The 4b11 has a square bore & stroke and the rev limiter is at a pretty high 7500 RPM. Really considering how rich they tune these cars to err on the side of caution do you really think they would put the limiter that high if they didn't think that the engine would handle pulls to 7000 RPM reliably? Do you really think they would overlook that minor detail?

End of thread.
This is just straight false. The K20 is not made of space age materials and the 4B11 has nothing new or space age either. I'm not sure why you're trying to jump at people when the OP asked a simple question. There is nothing 'embaressing' about this thread (other than your spelling).
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lords3t
This is just straight false. The K20 is not made of space age materials and the 4B11 has nothing new or space age either. I'm not sure why you're trying to jump at people when the OP asked a simple question. There is nothing 'embaressing' about this thread (other than your spelling).

I answered the OP's question accurately in my first post in this thread. That's where this thread should have ended. Also sarcasm owns you as your failure to interpret my post about the K20 is another reason this thread is 'embaressing'.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

^ at yet somehow, the same sarcasm screams right over your head....
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lords3t
^ at yet somehow, the same sarcasm screams right over your head....
^at yet zoom................
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:16 PM

I had a type R. Those engines are made for high revs. Not to mention, they are NA. Different game, take it easier and enjoy the TQ.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:45 PM

LOL @ Robevo RS.

That made my day, hahahaha.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

there's really no point if your x is untuned. from the times i've redlined it, after 5500 it just kinda feels the same, like the car just flatlined. plus...the factory tune will probably put more carbon and crap in your engine and exhaust the more you push it, thus making things worse.

i personally only redlined two times so far at 1600 miles...don't really care about doing it because it's not like i'll be going any faster up there anyhow.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

I think people are getting ahead of things just a bit, though some of the posts are a good laugh .

Firstly what did you mean by constantly? I'm sure you are not driving like that ALL the time right? If you pull the car to redline a few times a week on the street for some spirited driving and track it a few times a year then it's no big deal so long as you stay on top of the maintenance.

The full floating pistons in the 4B11 help out a lot in terms of engine wear at high revs but it isn't safe to just go crazy and run it like a race engine, if you do (as previously has been stated), be ready to be doing rebuilds it like a race engine.

Also if you are stock on the factory tune you're going to feel the motor choke when you reach 6000-6500 and at that point you might as well grab the next gear, with a tune however the top end of the power band is very useful and a few people have raised their rev limiter to 8000rpms without issues.

I hope that helps.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Man, people sure seem to be scared to play with their evo. I sure hope it's not that weak (only time will tell) in terms of reliability with driving it spirited frequently.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

I take my evo to redline everyday. Just make sure you always have your oils and fluids changed.

I offroad my evo sometimes and i bounce off the rev limiter like crazy when Im drifting through the dirt. No problems so far.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Isnt this why we have rev limiters
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by arbo651
Isnt this why we have rev limiters

That makes sense.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

This thread is becoming a joke already due to stubborness of the OP itself....

/CLOSED
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

When I read this thread, I imagined someone driving normally around town, riding each gear to 7k RPM before shifting. Now that would be something to see.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by stockgts09
This thread is becoming a joke already due to stubborness of the OP itself....

/CLOSED
Stubbornness for asking a question and replying to comments? Oh well. I dont really mind if it gets closed. I asked a question that I wanted replies on and I received them. Thanks to those who replied seriously.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it a bad idea to Redline the Evo X Constantly?