Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Come on now Mitsubishi... Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f1seb
I've been lurking around here for quite some time reading and searching. I've had an eye on a X for the last year and now finally the time is right and I'd bee looking to buy in the next 3 months.

But......
Reading this post, start to finish. Now I'm in the same boat as you. It's not just the OP's post that has me concerned it's the number of replies that concerns me the most. Looks like quite a lot of people are finding things wrong, others have learned to live with it, others just have replies that make no sense...like repaint the car....(Really repaint a brand new car?)

Looks like I'm gonna lurk into the 2010 series model and see if those problems are still existent.
honestly dude, these problems are over exaggerated.
the people complaining remind of Apple owners. where they whine about
everything and demand a replacement for the smallest stuff.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To each his own. My car took some used to getting to, but i t has been the most rewarding car i have ever driven. The problems I have i see as minor, which have gone away over time.

All cars rattle, even my M3 had some nasty ones. E46 coupes are notorious for having their interior window trim fall off, even after having it fixed by the dealer. No car is perfect, just decide with what you can deal with and understand why somethings are the way they are on the car.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I've been lurking around here for quite some time reading and searching. I've had an eye on a X for the last year and now finally the time is right and I'd bee looking to buy in the next 3 months.

But......
Reading this post, start to finish. Now I'm in the same boat as you. It's not just the OP's post that has me concerned it's the number of replies that concerns me the most. Looks like quite a lot of people are finding things wrong, others have learned to live with it, others just have replies that make no sense...like repaint the car....(Really repaint a brand new car?)

Looks like I'm gonna lurk into the 2010 series model and see if those problems are still existent.
All cars have problems. There is NO perfect car, unless you buy a custom built exotic, and even then there may be problems.

All cars get stone chips. Yes, the rear doors take a pounding. Put on the RA mudflaps and the extra film and you are done. All cars have rattles. The seats falling apart are annoying, many cars have interior issues. Knobs and switches break etc.

Most don't reply with good stuff, just problems.

The X is plenty fast on the street for a DD. If you want to race you will probably want more. Is it the fastest car ever made, no! IF you like the RA and its inferior suspension, brakes, steering, wheels, turbo, and AWD system, because it is close on a dyno, then get your X tuned and blow it away. The next edition is not going to fix the paint, they appear to have added side aero to help the issue and probably will add more film from the factory.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:25 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by empirepb210
honestly dude, these problems are over exaggerated.
the people complaining remind of Apple owners. where they whine about
everything and demand a replacement for the smallest stuff.
You're right, I'm over exaggerating. The 6 or so times it has been to the dealer they have never, ever, fixed anything. They've stitched the seats, repainted the rear bumper (I forgot about the paint peeling off of that), replaced the MAF, replaced the hood latch assembly, and some other ****. They still haven't reflashed it though.

You may not have the problems others suffer from, but to suggest we're just a bunch of whiners and should live with Mitsubishi's bull**** is just downright immature.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Im sorry for you. Hope everything works out. Maybe Im just lucky but I haven't had a single issue with my Evo 9 or X. No engine or tranny issues. Seats and interior are perfectly fine. I got a clear bra installe right after i bought the car so paint still looks new.

Hope I don't jinx myself.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

But......

I, too, have read countless threads before I jumped on the X 3-weeks ago.

Paint chips:
I've had 1996 Integra GSR, 03 WRX, 04 Civic, 05 Mazda3, 06 Civic which all had front bumper chips under normal driving conditions. The rear side panel didnt have chips since the fender wasnt wide anyway.

Notchy tranny:
I figured the X tranny cant be worst than my 03 WRX and I was right. Also, if someone has been driving a honda with manual tranny, everything else will seem notchy or inferior. This is based on owning a few Honda cars before.

Engine hesitation:
Got it flashed after two weeks. although, the car didnt stall on me, I just told the dealership that it was stalling, so they can flash it.

Interior pieces quality:
I was well prepared for this, cheap quality compared to my 06 Civic. [Somehow, my X interior piece quality is comparable to my then 03 WRX]

Main reason why I overlooked those characteristics [or lack thereof] is because of its power and handling....and the incentives from the dealership.

I really hope that UFO gets his issues resolved. I'll be going back to the dealership tomorrow to have them fix my c-pillar plastics.

One last thing. As far as dealer service department customer service is concerned, not one compares to Acura [based on my experience]. And no, you dont have to drive an NSX, TL or MDX to be treated very well
Old Jul 15, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

^I feel the same way about Acura. Always confirmed any work that was necessary and did it with a smile. Since I've owned my Evo, I've learned that you need to be friendly with the guys behind both counters to get what you want done. Everytime I've gone to the dealership to have work done on the Evo, they've been just as courtieous as any Acura dealer I had brought my RSX to. Maybe service departments here for Mitsu are different than across the country. I've even asked the owner if it's ok to do mods and he replied "well it could void your warranty IF IT DIRECTLY EFFECTS what you modify, but I don't see why not". This to me is perfectly fair.

In other words, do what you want to your car and don't worry about it. I feel the same way about the quality of the interior/paint that it could certainly be better. But complaining about the little things just takes away from the experience the car brings. Also, people will shy way from buying one if they see too many people complain about the same thing. If you want a trailer princess, than buy a Lambo or a Ferrari. Oh and BTW those cars squeak and rattle like a **** too.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

One of my complain is I can't find a dang oil filter wrench for this car.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dboz
All cars have problems. There is NO perfect car, unless you buy a custom built exotic, and even then there may be problems.

All cars get stone chips. Yes, the rear doors take a pounding. Put on the RA mudflaps and the extra film and you are done. All cars have rattles. The seats falling apart are annoying, many cars have interior issues. Knobs and switches break etc.

Most don't reply with good stuff, just problems.

The X is plenty fast on the street for a DD. If you want to race you will probably want more. Is it the fastest car ever made, no! IF you like the RA and its inferior suspension, brakes, steering, wheels, turbo, and AWD system, because it is close on a dyno, then get your X tuned and blow it away. The next edition is not going to fix the paint, they appear to have added side aero to help the issue and probably will add more film from the factory.
UFO has legitimet complaints due to his repeated trips to the dealership but I have noticed not only here that it appears that consumers expect near perfection these days which just isn't realistic. Even the best cars still have a ratio of problems/100 vehicles that isn't miles better than the worst. There was a guy on the other EVO forums that made a thread complaining that after 6 months the battery on his Fast Key fob died and he had to get it replaced. I mean people are making threads complaining about a $9 battery like Mitsubishi made it themselves and since the battery was bad Mitsubishi was crap. My fast key batteries are still working should I make a thread proclaiming Mitsubishi greatness? People use the internet as a complaint forum. We have a dedicated paint thread, a notchy transmission thread, a bad tune thread, etc. yet everyone likes to create their own ***** thread when things don't go their way. It sucks but it's the internet.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:06 PM

The problem with a thread like this is that one person's issues, valid as they are, might come across as the norm. I'm very happy with my car and I'm just going to take care of it and hope for the best. For what I wanted in a car, there really was no competition out there to the EVO. And in the almost one month I've owned it I've gotten many admiring glances and not seen another one on the road. I like that kind of exclusivity.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

About the A-pillars 'falling off'...

I got my new X and had this issue literally on the way home from the dealership! For me, it was the driver-side pillar. One thing that stuck out me when trying to put it back on was that at the top of the pillar, where it meets the ceiling felt, ther wasa small indentation in the felt liner and a little black scuff on the pillar where the indentation lines up. It looks like someone used a screw driver or something to pry it off.

Given this and so many people having this problem, I have to ask: do the dealers have to take the pillars off to prep the new X's when they arrive? Maybe to remove plastic coverings that the cars get shipped with, or to engage some airbag wiring that's disable during transport. If the clips are junk or just difficult to reattach, that might explain why so many of us have this problem.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

I own nothing but apple products, (iphone, macbook, imac) and I've had zero problems! Their some of the best people to work with. I know if I ever had an issue with any of my apple products they'd treat me right! Both my dealership were great to me, other than the bounced check from Medina they were good by me... They even bought me breakfast for buying the car! Ron Marhofer is the best dealership I've ever been to, it was Mitsubishi's own rep which gave me the problems! When you have a rocker molding with gaps the size of Texas, it's legitimate!

I guess I should bow down to Mitsubishi because they blessed us with the EVO? I DON"T THINK SO! When you drive off the lot and your rocker molding looks like this??? Come on guys, I simply do not think so! He denied my recaro claim, a reflash and said the EVO shifts rough by nature and tried denying this! I'll even go so far to say I can cope with the cheap paint and a jerky transmission; I just want treated like a customer, not some piece of trash that just blew in off the street!

http://www.geocities.com/wellrandry/IMG_0158.JPG
Old Jul 15, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

^did those dents and scratches come with the hole or are they from trying to be JDM tight around corners?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Unless you're being sarcastic, my rear rocker/rear fender has zero scratches and dents... My car was rather dirty when I took that pick, Ohio weather=not so clean car esp. if it's a DD.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Xtremist
I own nothing but apple products, (iphone, macbook, imac) and I've had zero problems! Their some of the best people to work with. I know if I ever had an issue with any of my apple products they'd treat me right! Both my dealership were great to me, other than the bounced check from Medina they were good by me... They even bought me breakfast for buying the car! Ron Marhofer is the best dealership I've ever been to, it was Mitsubishi's own rep which gave me the problems! When you have a rocker molding with gaps the size of Texas, it's legitimate!

I guess I should bow down to Mitsubishi because they blessed us with the EVO? I DON"T THINK SO! When you drive off the lot and your rocker molding looks like this??? Come on guys, I simply do not think so! He denied my recaro claim, a reflash and said the EVO shifts rough by nature and tried denying this! I'll even go so far to say I can cope with the cheap paint and a jerky transmission; I just want treated like a customer, not some piece of trash that just blew in off the street!

http://www.geocities.com/wellrandry/IMG_0158.JPG
There is a TSB for that problem with your rocker, BTW Don't get me wrong. I have been back to the dealer countless times to fix the optional ground effects, and Mitsubishi relies on DOUBLE STICK FREAKING TAPE to hold the front spoiler lip on, which in colder climes like Michigan, or Ohio where you live, is a joke really. And my front bumper keeps popping off where it meets the fender, from day one also!

The Venture Shield, not that cheezy 3M crap, is a must with any Subaru/Honda/Mitsu product. My 2006 Acura RL had the full treatment and had nary a mark on it when I traded it after 3 years.

They reflashed my EVO and it runs just fine, rich as hell, but fine.

The rattles and materials for the interior...well... it's no RL, that's for sure. Considering that my MR listed for almost $45,000 that is a joke also, but you basically have the interior of a $15,000 car that's been factory tuned. It's not like the Z-06 or ZR-1 have a nicer cockpit than a run of the mill Corvette either that half to 1/3 the price, eh?

It is what it is, you just have to make the most of it and deal with compromise, unless the balance of that compromise is no longer acceptable and you start shopping again.

Quick Reply: Come on now Mitsubishi... Seriously?