Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Clunking sound from passenger side rear

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, this one's my fault. I installed an aftermarket swaybar. Guess, I'm fired.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidiii
Picture of where your talking about?!?

Here's a pic of a Perrin swaybar. Just follow the red bar to the end. There's a nut that holds the bar to the endlink. Tighten that one.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GSXR
Actually, this one's my fault. I installed an aftermarket swaybar. Guess, I'm fired.
I quite literally laughed out loud. Glad you tracked it down
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i wish you could fine the cause of this problem i allready treid with mine and no luck please keep us updated...
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

An update, and a question:

This has been driving me nuts. I've gone around the entire car, inside, outside, top, and bottom, and I can't find the source of the clunking.

It really only happens when there is some kind of side load, especially when turning left. Going down a bumpy road in a straight line does NOT make the clunk. Which leads me to believe something is "shifting" from side loads.

Question: I made sure that the spring spacers were removed, and they are. However, there is a piece of very flimsy black plastic tube around the shock/strut pistons in the front (yes, the front), maybe 1.5 inches long. Is this supposed to be there, or should that have been removed? Might that be the cause of the noise?

--michael
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

From your description, it doesn't sound likely. If the tube is flimsy, how would it make a clunking sound? Clunking almost explicitly describes a metal-on-metal contact... you'd probably even describe metal-on-rubber as a thud. It doesn't seem to me that metal-on-flimsy plastic would make any discernible sound audible from the cabin.

If you take a picture of what you're talking about we can verify with our cars. I do seem to recall there was sensor wiring along that route, which may be what you're seeing.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Another update:

Noise is still there. I've taken apart the entire trunk, nothing.

If I had to describe the noise, it may not be a metal-on-metal noise... maybe more of a "snapping". But, it's really hard to tell. I can reproduce it by doing any kind of turning, either left or right. And, now, it's starting to come from the driver side rear as well, and it's getting worse every day.

I have some new ideas:

1. Side skirts. I do NOT have the aero kit, just the stock sills. They snap onto the wheelwell in the rear with a little plastic clip. This clip comes loose with very little pressure. Could it be that side-to-side flex of the body is causing this skirt clip to snap off and then snap back?

2. Window bolt TSB. I read about that (need a higher-torque bolt somewhere in the door), but the TSB states that this only applies to cars built (edit: before!) January 2008. My Evo is a May 2008 build. I tried rolling the windows down, all the way, halfway, but that didn't change the sound.

Any other ideas? I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and take it into the dealer, and exercise my warranty. (I'm bone stock, no mods, so nothing to deny warranty)

--michael

Last edited by weneversleep; Aug 20, 2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by weneversleep
Another update:

If I had to describe the noise, it may not be a metal-on-metal noise... maybe more of a "snapping". But, it's really hard to tell. I can reproduce it by doing any kind of turning, either left or right. And, now, it's starting to come from the driver side rear as well, and it's getting worse every day.

I have some new ideas:

1. Side skirts. I do NOT have the aero kit, just the stock sills. They snap onto the wheelwell in the rear with a little plastic clip. This clip comes loose with very little pressure. Could it be that side-to-side flex of the body is causing this skirt clip to snap off and then snap back?

2. Window bolt TSB. I read about that (need a higher-torque bolt somewhere in the door), but the TSB states that this only applies to cars built after January 2008. My Evo is a May 2008 build. I tried rolling the windows down, all the way, halfway, but that didn't change the sound.

Any other ideas? I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and take it into the dealer, and exercise my warranty. (I'm bone stock, no mods, so nothing to deny warranty)

--michael

man i hope you find what it is cause iam on the same boat as you....
Old Aug 19, 2009, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

2. Window bolt TSB. I read about that (need a higher-torque bolt somewhere in the door), but the TSB states that this only applies to cars built after January 2008. My Evo is a May 2008 build.
May comes after January...
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

I think he meant it only happens on cars built BEFORE jan 08.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

I plan on crawling under the car tomorrow. The noise is really beginning to bother me. Had my suspension been stock I would have taken it to the stealership long ago. I'll post an update as well if I discover anything new or remedy the situation.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Another update:

I have some new ideas:

2. Window bolt TSB. I read about that (need a higher-torque bolt somewhere in the door), but the TSB states that this only applies to cars built after January 2008. My Evo is a May 2008 build. I tried rolling the windows down, all the way, halfway, but that didn't change the sound.

--michael

I think you are looking wayy to deep into it.... I just bought my X two days ago and it had this very same clunking noise. I just crawled underneath the car and checked the endlink bolt and sure enough, it was almost completely backed off.

You have to check the bolt when the suspension is loaded and the wheels are on the ground. The bolt will be tight when the car is jacked up.

Originally Posted by GSXR

Here's a pic of a Perrin swaybar. Just follow the red bar to the end. There's a nut that holds the bar to the endlink. Tighten that one.
Thanks for the help! I went and checked mine just minutes ago and found the bolt almost completely off. I just tightened it with a 14mm wrench....
Old Aug 20, 2009, 01:12 AM
Evolving Member

I had a same problem and my car has 1800 miles.
Just came back from dealer this mourning and found linkage on sway bar loose.
It's ok now but we'll see.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
May comes after January...
Durrr, yes, I meant to say:

Cars built before January 2008.

Thanks for the catch.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:43 PM

Another update:

I have some new ideas:

2. Window bolt TSB. I read about that (need a higher-torque bolt somewhere in the door), but the TSB states that this only applies to cars built (edit: before!) January 2008. My Evo is a May 2008 build. I tried rolling the windows down, all the way, halfway, but that didn't change the sound.

--michael

Bro, you are very determine to find the problem, really you can find the root cause of it... Becos, I am also hearing this strange nosie too.. I cannot really re-produce it.. i check the swaybar end link bolt... nothing, it is very tight!! So i rule out the swaybar end link... but i suspected it could be a brake pad issue... soemtime brake pad might be vibrating and touching the rotor... so it might be a good idea for you to clean your brake pad... and monitor for the noise...

Quick Reply: Clunking sound from passenger side rear