Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.
View Poll Results: What shall i do, Trade or stick with current MR
Stick with current MR
40.94%
Trade for GSR
59.06%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Shall i trade for a GSR

Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shall i trade for a GSR

OK, so here is the story, i have been the proud owner of an Evo X MR for the last 18 months, and love it. (Kinda) I had paid for a new white GSR and Mitsu being the amazing set of drivers they are, lowered it from the back of the truck into another car, so the offered me an MR at same rate. I thought what a steal. So i now have a PB MR.

When i got the MR i didn't expect the tuning to infect me so much and become my hobby. I love every aspect of tuning the car, (except the money lol) Living so close to AMS doesn't help either. My MR was starting to make some decent power, and started on the look of the car. I had blown one transmission already and now want to beef up the next trans for more power.

My question is, shall i trade the MR for a GSR? I think i have to as i miss the true shifting and want a lot more power. I set out to have one of the fastest MR's but now i just want the fun of a stick again. My worry is that if i trade up my MR i will loose all the nice MR touches. Do you think it will be a fairly close swap as far as price for a GSR? Shall i take all my current parts off and go back to stock, and put the parts i had on the MR on the GSR? I'm so confussed as to what to do!

I think more than anything i want everyones opinion on this. I'm looking for honest opinions on people with MR's and GSR's.

Thanks guys.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Really depends on your power goals. I think the SST can only handle around 330 torque.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

after speaking with SSP the car can hold a little more, but my goal is 450-500 i think the capacity realistically will be around 400
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
if you are not a show tuner , then you better off with the manual. As it stands today.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

I think it will be able to handle it once the TCU tuning is figured out.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

do what u like
u yourself already know the answer actually
^_^
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
oh but i voted for stick with the MR. It is a ncie option the SST. And who knows what he future will bring for the SST.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:35 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I think it depends on your patience. It's only a matter of time before you start seeing more and more torque. There isn't an actual official number on the torque reading. It's kind of a general rule of thumb. Same goes for the upgrade transmission. SSP says 430wtq, but they really don't know the limits yet of their clutch pack. On top of that some are claiming some success with an oil cooler. That is the route I'm going to go down.

But really, if you REALLY need more than 450wtq. Just get the GSR. As of now, I don't know if I would want to go back to a stick. I love the paddles too much (I never use auto modes). But this is me. The only reason I'd recommend going back to the GSR, is for a ton of power.

And keep in mind, people have success putting FP reds on the MR and getting hp well into the 400's and keep the torque low.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Take the parts off of your MR, sell it, buy a GSR and put the parts back on a GSR. That is if you plan on having more then 450wtq.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

I'll trade your MR for my stock GSR... but I don't have any money :-)
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:46 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
He wants a GSR.... he still might trade
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by philamthebest
OK, so here is the story, i have been the proud owner of an Evo X MR for the last 18 months, and love it. (Kinda) I had paid for a new white GSR and Mitsu being the amazing set of drivers they are, lowered it from the back of the truck into another car, so the offered me an MR at same rate. I thought what a steal. So i now have a PB MR.
When i got the MR i didn't expect the tuning to infect me so much and become my hobby. I love every aspect of tuning the car, (except the money lol) Living so close to AMS doesn't help either. My MR was starting to make some decent power, and started on the look of the car. I had blown one transmission already and now want to beef up the next trans for more power. My question is, shall i trade the MR for a GSR? I think i have to as i miss the true shifting and want a lot more power. I set out to have one of the fastest MR's but now i just want the fun of a stick again. My worry is that if i trade up my MR i will loose all the nice MR touches. Do you think it will be a fairly close swap as far as price for a GSR? Shall i take all my current parts off and go back to stock, and put the parts i had on the MR on the GSR? I'm so confussed as to what to do!
I think more than anything i want everyones opinion on this. I'm looking for honest opinions on people with MR's and GSR's.
Thanks guys.

The bottom line is the SST is still an evolving transmission. Companies out there are still learning and its only a matter of time before you see MR's making gobs of power just like the GSR's are. Now keep in mind if you go with a stock GSR you will still be putting in lots of money between a new clutch and supporting clutch parts, money on beefing up the manual trans, etc. The MR is already a more expensive car so trading someone straight up is just plain stupid. Once the SST is figured out and tuned it will be a far superior car than the GSR. I laugh at all the people that say they can shift faster then an automatic. Most of those people never really had a really fast car. I came from an 04 cobra. I put a great amount of $$$$ in that car including swapping out the manual for a Lentech auto. It was the best mod I ever did because I could actually harness the power of the car. I will probably never go back to a manual because I to have hopes of making one of the fastest MR's in Florida. I have a long way to go but this time i'm taking my time and doing alot of reading and watching what other people are doing and seeing their success and failures. It ends up saving alot of money and aggravation!!!!!! Good luck and if you have patients then the MR is your best bet!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:21 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
If you _wanted_ a GSR, and settled for an MR, you need to trade.
If you really wanted an MR, you wouldn't even be asking this question. Swap!
Or, is it possible to do a manual swap in the MR to have the best of both worlds? I really have no idea.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:45 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I understand your frustration. I have a GSR, and i really, really like the stick. I also have a skyline, and that thing is automatic. I didn't even know they made auto skylines! It's more convenient that the stick, sure, but still, I like to DRIVE. I like to be a part of the car, feel every bit of that-and you can't get that with an auto.
As far as power goes-if you are heading for tons of power, might as well go GSR. Plus, who knows what that SST tranny is going to look like in 5 years? Who's going to really support it?
If you are really, really going for power, like 10's or better, neither tranny will do.

If it were me, I would strip that thing back to stock. Mods are pretty much worthless on a trade, or even a sale usually. Put to stock, get what you really want, rebuild.

My .02
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5spd ftw

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shall i trade for a GSR