Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Boost gauge installation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2010, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost gauge installation

I have read 1 or 2 threads on installing a boost gauge on our Evo X. The problem I see, is that those members routed the vacuum line down into the drivers kick panel, and up into the wheel well. That type of routing is WAY too long and is prone to kinks/leaks. The only other option that I see, is to create a new hole in the firewall like they do on the Evo 8/9s. Can anyone shed some light??
Old Feb 7, 2010, 02:26 PM

I installed mine going through the wheel well but I did not go though the kick panel. When you have your inner wheel well out you will see a black rubber groumet in the top left that goes directly behind the inside fuse box. Thats how I routed mine and have not had a problem with it at all. Wish I would have taken some pics but once you see it you will figure it out. Very very easy install. Only took about 30 mins
Old Feb 8, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I routed mine through the firewall. No drilling or cutting required!!!!

There is a small rubber plug about 3/4 inch behind the glove box. If you open the hood, look all the way down to the left side. You will see a small plug that you can pry out. You need to get to it from the glovebox. Take it out, and reach behind the padding behind the glovebox.

You should then be able to feel the plug, and pull it out. I believe I drilled a hole in the plug to run the wires through, then replaced the plug in the firewall. Very clean install!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

look directly behind your motor, almost in the middle of the firewall. there should be a main wire harness going through the fire wall here through a huge rubber grommet piece. if you drill a hole about 2" to the left of that (towards driver), and 1" down, you will not hit any wires or anything on the inside of the firewall, and have a new hole for your hoses/wires or w/e. at least thats how it is on Lancers lol or you can just poke through the exisintg rubber grommet and route the hose/wires along with the OEM wires going through there, just be careful not to accidentally cut any wires while poking through the grommet if you do it that way
Old Feb 8, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by steinvb12
I routed mine through the firewall. No drilling or cutting required!!!!

There is a small rubber plug about 3/4 inch behind the glove box. If you open the hood, look all the way down to the left side. You will see a small plug that you can pry out. You need to get to it from the glovebox. Take it out, and reach behind the padding behind the glovebox.

You should then be able to feel the plug, and pull it out. I believe I drilled a hole in the plug to run the wires through, then replaced the plug in the firewall. Very clean install!
This is how I'm getting into the engine bay for gauges. It's behind the sirius unit behind the glove box.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cut a hole in the existing rubber grommet and routed the tube right along with the factory wiring! This worked great for me and has not been a problem at all since!!! If I remember right the grommet is closer to the drivers side of the vehicle, but is pretty easy to point out. It comes into the interior just to the left of the center radio section and can be reached from under the wheel by the gas pedal area.

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
look directly behind your motor, almost in the middle of the firewall. there should be a main wire harness going through the fire wall here through a huge rubber grommet piece. if you drill a hole about 2" to the left of that (towards driver), and 1" down, you will not hit any wires or anything on the inside of the firewall, and have a new hole for your hoses/wires or w/e. at least thats how it is on Lancers lol or you can just poke through the exisintg rubber grommet and route the hose/wires along with the OEM wires going through there, just be careful not to accidentally cut any wires while poking through the grommet if you do it that way
Old Feb 13, 2010, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Im a little weary of:
-drilling holes through the fire wall (im afraid of hitting something behind it)
-poking/cutting into the grommet/main harness (if I f*** that up, im screwed)

Going with the rubber plug behind the glove box seems the least invasive. Can anyone post a pic of that rubber plug from the engine bay? (please)
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:28 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
There's one under the passenger carpet too, where it slopes down to the floor by where they put their feet. Pull the carpet back, there's a foam pad there, and behind that is the pass thgouh. The only thing running through it is the 02 sensor wire, i went right through there, then ran the vacuum line up behind the stereo and to my gauge mounted on the steering column. It was really easy there, just poked the hole with a screwdriver then pushed the line through. There are no wires or anything on either side of the hole, no drilling, you just push it through the same rubber as the 02 wire.

I actually used fuel line for RC cars because the overall diameter of the tubing was much smaller and easier to run.

Last edited by ikt; Feb 13, 2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

The lines that we tap into for vacuum is right behind the gauge cluster behind the fire wall. The BEST route is the SHORTEST route. Trying to route down into the kick panel and then back up into the engine bay is too long to route the vacuum line.

Can someone that drilled a new hole in the fore wall, please post pics..
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by cpunlamd
The lines that we tap into for vacuum is right behind the gauge cluster behind the fire wall. The BEST route is the SHORTEST route. Trying to route down into the kick panel and then back up into the engine bay is too long to route the vacuum line.

Can someone that drilled a new hole in the fore wall, please post pics..

Please someone post pics of where you tap into with the T fitting to. Thanks for any pics.