Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Help needed! removing metal shavings from sst drain plug that had to be tapped

Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed! removing metal shavings from sst drain plug that had to be tapped

Ok so this was my intial thread about the wrung out drain plug bolt :

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...threading.html

So problem fixed there but now i'm left with the problem of how to remove all the metal shavings that would be present in the reservoir of the drain hole that needed to be tapped for an oversized bolt.

Been reading through these forums and found that mineral oil is used to do a complete tranny flush with no problem
this is the thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...t-trans-7.html

But was thinking instead of doing a full tranny flush as outlined in that thread(don't want to start the engine with metal shaving present) I just use the mineral oil and fill while having all 3 drain plugs out(or should i plug the other 2 and just leave the one that was tapped open?) and drain out hopefully taking with it all the metal shavings as it drains.

Would this remove all or atleast most of the shavings?(gonna do a proper flush and another transmission oil change after a day or 2 hoping that any remaining filings will be caught by the filter)
any other advice/proper way of removing these filings will be greatly appreciated!
cheers!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 02:59 AM
Evolving Member

You can probably use a extendable magnet to get most of the loose shavings. Then I would do the tranny flush to get the more fine shavings.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use some very strong neodymium magnets from K&J Magnetics or similar, then flush.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Is the TC-SST case aluminum or steel?

If it is steel - use the magnet AFTER you fill with some mineral oil to simply wash the particles out (not running). Add the magnet to the bottom of the pan and then flush/running with mineral oil. Remove magnet and drain. Replace the filter. Refill with Diaqueen.

If the case is aluminum - the magnet won't work. So I would fill with some mineral oil to simply wash the particles out (not running). Then flush/running with mineral oil and drain. Replace the filter. Refill with Diaqueen.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 09:10 AM

Was now about to reply about using the magnets and as vernoica stated it is aluminium so magnets are of no help unfortunately...

Just finished using about 5 litres of mineral oil to fill without the drain plugs in and was surprised at the amount of shavings that came out

Checked to feel if there were any filings left by passing a cloth and finger but there doesn't seem to be....still don't wanna take any chances so gonna use another gallon again and check the fluid to see if any is present... but afterwards tho

should i plug the drain holes and fill with about 2 or 3 litres of mineral oil and after about 5 mins drain and flush with a next 5 litres of mineral oil with all 3 drain plugs out?

then should i still do a proper flush afterwards outlined in the link i posted?
or fill with the diaqueen and run the car for a day or 2 then do another fluid and filter change?

A bit skeptical about running the car with mineral oil in it but seems like a lot of people have done it but just exactly how safe is this method?

thanks for any more advice/thoughts guys
Old Aug 21, 2015, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Now just follow the Mitsu maintenance procedure for a flush with mineral oil and change the filter.

I would not waste $$diaqueen for flushing and draining.

You have already removed probably 90% of the metal and the rest will be caught in the filter before being pumped through the tranny.

You'll be ok!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 01:42 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! just finished using the mineral oil to drain and do a flush (probably ended up using 6 gallon in total lol) but definitely sure that 99% off the shavings are out and any remainder should be picked up by the filter(gonna change the filter in about a week or so i'll see if there were any leftovers)

Cheers guys!
P.S. best evo site/forum