Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mishimoto Racing Thermostat Problem

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evo 1768
I installed the Mishimoto thermostat,,, OEM Stock EVO thermostat opens at 82 Celsius and the Mishimoto opens at 63 Celsius but since I put it the light from the "check engine" turns on even if I disconect the battery and reset the computer, two or three hours later the "check engine" light turns back on again. But the Evo X has no mechanical failure. Can anyone tell me what this is about?
1. Why would you want to install a 63*C thermostat in the first place
2. Did you bother to pull the codes?

Pull the codes, could be unrelated. Either way unless there is a very specific reason you went to a colder thermostat just go back to OEM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
OK so I just got off the phone with Mishimoto and from what the tech told me these thermostats are used on a case by case basis. They are for vehicles that are overheating too quickly.

With that being said on my personal car I use an OEM thermostat after trying a lower temp thermostat and finding my car could not get up to operating temps. I do not use radiator fans, just distilled water and water wetter. The car is a road race car only. I do 99% of my races in the South West. There are not a whole lot of applications I could reccomend these for. I am a vendor for these products as well and if you do find yourself in need of one please feel free to contact me for pricing!
Thanks, can you give me (us) an idea in which you would recommend the thermostat? What are the circumstances in which a car is overheating too quickly? High ambient heat maybe? Or a drag car? I'm road racing only as well and using water and WW, while oil gets pretty darn hot (240 +/-) water temp stays pretty stable. oh, and why no fans? Not really a weight thing...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnr352
Thanks, can you give me (us) an idea in which you would recommend the thermostat? What are the circumstances in which a car is overheating too quickly? High ambient heat maybe? Or a drag car? I'm road racing only as well and using water and WW, while oil gets pretty darn hot (240 +/-) water temp stays pretty stable. oh, and why no fans? Not really a weight thing...
So far Im sticking with stock. The only application I could see using a race thermostat (or for that matter no thermostat at all) would be on some big drag queen with a 1/2 radiator.

And with the fans weighing in at ~8 ish lbs thats plenty of reasnon for me to get rid of them. They also were never coming on so when I built my own wire harness I just left them out. My race water temps are aboout 180, and my oil is about 235.

240 is not that high, Evo's routinely run hotter than other cars, I was seeing 290'ish for a while till I rebuilt my engine and put on a monster oil cooler.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I should also note that My car is a 2.3 4G63
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Helpful, thanks.

I was seeing 260+ at shorter tracks and then Moroso built me a racing oil pan and Accumulator system. Lots of oil and temps are better. A bigger cooler would certainley help too.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know this is a old thread, but what is the general consensus on running without a thermostat on Evo okay?. I mean really I don't think anybody here just turns their car on in the morning and start driving immediately after 15-20 seconds. Operating temperature is very operating when discussing about engine longetivity, bearings life, fuel economy. I don't think a part that cost $10 is not worth a new head or block replacement.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
umm the thread appears to be about running either a mishimoto one or a stock one. And it looks like sticking with the stock one was the way to go. Im pretty sure not running one would cause the car to always be cooling and never reaching the correct operating temp...and im not sure how or why you would bypass it.