Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Chkmgnt59's 2.1L FP Black Build - new numbers soon!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chkmgnt59's 2.1L FP Black Build - new numbers soon!

I have this thread up on the other forum, but I figured that evoM might want to see the love as well...

I started down the modding path simply enough with UR turbo-back exhaust, ETS fmic, Cobb AP, Cobb SF intake, and a protune. I should have seen the mod bug coming that I did all this within a month of buying the car, but hey, the car is slow stock, and I needed to keep up with the dumb *** mustangs of the world.

I dont want to play the dyno pissing games, but thankfully Hollywood compiled every dyno on earth and can tell you that Cobb's mustang reads halfway between buschur's mustang and a DJ. Stock evo is ~235whp.

Here is where we ended up, stout 345/356 on Cobb's mustang.

Now like any addict, I wanted more within a few months. Track time had convinced me that power was the solution to the ever-present problem, the Porsche 911 Turbo. They **** me off, with their smug smiles and cappuccino.

I lasted 9 months, and then I did what any sane person would do - I called Robert at FP, and told him a red wasn't big enough. Lucky me, he was working on a little something called the FP Black.

I got unit #5 or 6 or something. Whatever, Murlo was first, because apparently I'm a ***** b/c I wasn't building my block, so Robert made me wait. Oh well, it gave me time to order some Kelford B's and springs.

So Cobb got them installed, and we kept boost right at 26psi to keep the weak *** rods happy. Oh, also DW 1300s and wally 255 pump.

So 450/390, happy times. The Porsches? Well, they're still fakking fast. And they have a new nemesis, and he's a butt doctor. Yep, a proctologist with a freaking R8 V10 starting coming to the track days.

Naturally, I now need more power. I was terrified, rightly to turn up the boost on my car due to a problem I've seen a few times related to ventilation (ahem murlo), so I figure the best thing to do is build up the block.

So I get w/ Adam from MAP, and then packages start showing up at my door. Here's what we got:
ARP main/head studs.

Hooray, a plain *** white box!!!!

Ahh, MAP aluminum (9 freaking pounds, holy ****) Flywheel

And that goes with....

Going to max out stock MAF housing, so, let's solve that problem once and for all...

Last edited by chkmgnt59; Feb 13, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Now the fun parts...

Now, you might be saying those pistons look a little weird. Like, they're too big.... well, they are.
88MM pistons to make a 2.1L. Darton sleeves are with the machinist, so no pics of them, but they're sexy too

Now what to hold those sexy big pistons to the crank?

What have we here?

Yep, we have x-beam action

MAP X-Beam rods, with their special 7/16 arp rod bolts... or something like that.

So.... the engine is all pretty, but as murlo found out, that stock exhaust manifold sucks. So, ETS sent me a present too..

MMM pretty porthole

Note my amazing wrapping job

All this power will be sure to break something, and I dont want it to be my center diff, so Buschur supplied me with some pins. Not sure how to make these look good in a picture, so here you go.

And a gasket set. Sorry, it's not all interesting items

Car is going into Cobb's Plano shop on Friday 2/11. We have lined it all up so the machine shop will have the sleeves, and will also pick up the bearings (something about wanting to hand pick out perfect ones from several sets)

I've been told they can get it in and out in 2-3 weeks. I don't believe that for a second, so I'm hoping to have numbers by mid-march.
Goals:
93 pump - 520+ @32ish psi
MS109 - 600+ @LOL psi

We might try some corn juice in there too, but I don't want to change my lines, or have to get bigger injectors. Plus, while I have 8 good tracks within a few hours of Dallas, exactly zero of them have a supply of e85 reasonably close, and I don't have a truck to trailer the car to the track. MS109 will have to do, and really should get us the same power as e85 anyway, and it's at pumps at almost all the tracks.
My fuel pump might run out of fun during tuning as well. If the 255 doesn't do it, we might add a 044 in line, or change to a DW300 in tank. Hell, I might get a surge tank and run a 044 off that, it depends on what happens during tuning.

I should finally be able to blow past those damn Porsche and R8 V10 drivers now.....

once I get suspension and wider wheels....

Damn mod bug

Last edited by chkmgnt59; Feb 13, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

keep us all posted. ill be building my motor soon along with an fp black (all my parts just sitting patiently in my closet). your 2.1 should be an absolute beast
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

^^ thats the best way to do it. I read too many horror stories of a critical part being on backorder, so I sat w/ Cobb and we made a detailed list, and we got everything in my hands before I dropped off the car. No 6 month wait to get my baby back
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

suscribed
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:58 PM

Awesome build man.

Cobb should do you right.

Can't wait to see the results!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Stupid Porsche owners, I feel your pain! I also have the 600whp Corvette guys to deal with as well. Good luck on the build!!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:30 PM
Former Sponsor

crazy build for a track car you should head out there with us some time. id be interested to see how you are able to tame that much power. running 475whp in my car was frightning (and even the porsche race cars couldn't even come close to keeping up). granted its about a 600lbs less then your typical evo...

600whp is going to require much more fuel pump then a single walbro so you should get that taken care of before they even try tuning it. a single walbro cant even supply enough fuel for 1000cc injectors on pump, so your 1300cc injectors are going to be begging for more pressure
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

mother of god it all looks so delicious. your x will be a destroyer.
sub'd
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:16 PM

Nice man Keep us posted with pics of your progress
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
crazy build for a track car you should head out there with us some time. id be interested to see how you are able to tame that much power. running 475whp in my car was frightning (and even the porsche race cars couldn't even come close to keeping up). granted its about a 600lbs less then your typical evo...

600whp is going to require much more fuel pump then a single walbro so you should get that taken care of before they even try tuning it. a single walbro cant even supply enough fuel for 1000cc injectors on pump, so your 1300cc injectors are going to be begging for more pressure
Yep we're thinking over a few options. They have fabbed up a way to get an 040 in-tank working, which would do it. But that still leaves the stupid starvation in sweeping lefts there. So Chris suggested we might put fuel cell foam in the tank to keep the fuel from sloshing away from the pickup during turns, and I suggested a surge tank. He's kinda uncomfortable w/ a surge tank due to exposed fuel lines and two pumps. I know he wants to KISS and having two pumps is just doubling possible points of failure.

I think we'll start with the 040 in the tank and go from there.

I'll def come out with you guys as much as I can. Tracking it w/ the 450 was fun and it was manageable for sure. The turbo and that R8 v10 were still a bit faster in the straights though. Mostly b/c my car is/was a pig (I stripped the trunk and backseats out since then, so saved 200lbs or so)
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
Yep we're thinking over a few options. They have fabbed up a way to get an 040 in-tank working, which would do it. But that still leaves the stupid starvation in sweeping lefts there. So Chris suggested we might put fuel cell foam in the tank to keep the fuel from sloshing away from the pickup during turns, and I suggested a surge tank. He's kinda uncomfortable w/ a surge tank due to exposed fuel lines and two pumps. I know he wants to KISS and having two pumps is just doubling possible points of failure.

I think we'll start with the 040 in the tank and go from there.

I'll def come out with you guys as much as I can. Tracking it w/ the 450 was fun and it was manageable for sure. The turbo and that R8 v10 were still a bit faster in the straights though. Mostly b/c my car is/was a pig (I stripped the trunk and backseats out since then, so saved 200lbs or so)
at 600whp on the track, everything on the car becomes a failure point so KISS goes out the window the fuel cell foam can work but isn't alcohol compatible if your ever considering E85 as was mentioned (at least fuel safe said it wasn't when they sold me their FIA certified fuel cell).

the nice thing about the surge tank, if one of the pumps fails, its not catastrophic like it would be running dual pumps feeding the engine. all that would happen is the engine will shut off (similiar to what happens when you starve the current single in tank pump). if both pumps are running, you have fuel, if either of them stop working, you get no fuel.

with a double pumper, if one of them goes out, the car still has fuel from the remaining pump, and will run, but more then likely extremely lean which is dangerous.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
at 600whp on the track, everything on the car becomes a failure point so KISS goes out the window the fuel cell foam can work but isn't alcohol compatible if your ever considering E85 as was mentioned (at least fuel safe said it wasn't when they sold me their FIA certified fuel cell).

the nice thing about the surge tank, if one of the pumps fails, its not catastrophic like it would be running dual pumps feeding the engine. all that would happen is the engine will shut off (similiar to what happens when you starve the current single in tank pump). if both pumps are running, you have fuel, if either of them stop working, you get no fuel.

with a double pumper, if one of them goes out, the car still has fuel from the remaining pump, and will run, but more then likely extremely lean which is dangerous.
Yep that's why double pumper isn't even on the table. I don't trust them, I don't trust a hobbs switch, etc.
Decided against e85 after much thinking, ms109 is expensive, but to me its simpler, and I don't have to worry about finding fuel.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

SICK build. Can't wait to see final numbers after tuning. Keep us posted!
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Few updates:

Magnus CMC adapter and the CMC came in and were dropped off at Cobb on tuesday.
Big news of the day is the engine is out of the car, getting stripped down and going to machine shop today.

Quick Reply: Chkmgnt59's 2.1L FP Black Build - new numbers soon!