Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hi, I'm new here. Talk me in or out of an MR Touring.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These threads are ridiculous. If it will be your second, how do you not know by now?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
These threads are ridiculous. If it will be your second, how do you not know by now?
I have yet to drive an SST-equipped car. I was interested in feedback.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
kyoo, they don't make an SE anymore. Only MR, MR Touring and GSR.

So as many of you have noticed I went from a MR to a GSR.

If I had the choice, I'd take the MR over the GSR every day of the week, including track day weekends. My MR with less power obliterates the GSR on a course / daily driving.

I got rid of my MR for 1.5 reasons. I was planning on buying a house, which didn't pan out, and the transmission is still $8k to buy if something small goes wrong with it. With that being said I never had one issue with my transmission, but wasn't going to attempt to pay $10k to replace it when my warranty ran out and something did go wrong.

That last point is all that kept me from getting another MR.

If you do get an SST, make sure you get '10 or newer. They have software updates that makes shifting better.

Also there are a few people that have MANY unreleased options for this transmission. When they finally get released, the MR is just going to be untouched, possibly in the 1/4 as well.

HOPEFULLY the SST will be rebuildable in the next year or so. If it is, cost will significantly go down and it will be a great option. If you can get over the fact that it's $10k to replace, go for it. If you aren't going to mod and want to bank on it going down in price before your 60k miles is up, go for it.
ah my bad.. i saw it out for 2010, didn't know they already ended that run
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kakashi
Just a heads up, the MR also has the half second lag you described earlier..

With some practice, you can get it down to maybe a quarter second, along with some tuning..

But it's also got the same problem. Bugged the ever living hell out of me at first, but you get used to it.
Thanks and good to know. I've read this elsewhere. I can live with a bit of lag as long as the shifts are intuitive, crisp, and fast (unlike my BMW).
kyoo, they don't make an SE anymore. Only MR, MR Touring and GSR.

So as many of you have noticed I went from a MR to a GSR.

If I had the choice, I'd take the MR over the GSR every day of the week, including track day weekends. My MR with less power obliterates the GSR on a course / daily driving.

I got rid of my MR for 1.5 reasons. I was planning on buying a house, which didn't pan out, and the transmission is still $8k to buy if something small goes wrong with it. With that being said I never had one issue with my transmission, but wasn't going to attempt to pay $10k to replace it when my warranty ran out and something did go wrong.

That last point is all that kept me from getting another MR.

If you do get an SST, make sure you get '10 or newer. They have software updates that makes shifting better.

Also there are a few people that have MANY unreleased options for this transmission. When they finally get released, the MR is just going to be untouched, possibly in the 1/4 as well.

HOPEFULLY the SST will be rebuildable in the next year or so. If it is, cost will significantly go down and it will be a great option. If you can get over the fact that it's $10k to replace, go for it. If you aren't going to mod and want to bank on it going down in price before your 60k miles is up, go for it.
Lots of good information here. My last two Evos were modified. My last one was a track ****. This car will be neither. I just want a fun daily driver, covered under warranty, that will also be functional. After two Evos, there aren't many options out there that are less than $50,000.
I spent 5 months looking for a clean IX that wasn't almost as much as a X for a track car. No luck, and getting financed for the ones that were as much as a X wasn't going to be possible since most financial institutions go off of NADA, and these cars were $5-$7k over NADA.

IX's are cool, but the OP wants to DD it. You miss out on things like cruise control, climate control, 9 airbags, hands free, more comfy seats (imo).

The one thing I definitely miss from my CT9A days, rear wiper.
I miss my VIII dearly but I don't want another rough, simple car. They're raw, driver-oriented machines but I already have all of that in the 993 and I don't want two cars that will wear me down over distances or when I'm already exhausted.

Plus, Evo owners tend to be hard on their cars and finding an unmolested VIII or IX is a difficult prospect, especially when so many modified cars are returned to stock and presented as unmodified.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 03:07 PM

Guess you sold the mini?
Hope you didn't hurt your back in it while at the track
Old Jun 8, 2011, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Go test drive one... /end thread. Seriously though go take one for a spin... I used to be bad about buying cars b/c of what magazines said, but now if I have an interest in buying a new car I test drive anything that fits the bill. Sometimes a test drive talks me out of a car(or into it).
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:39 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Test drives aren't always easy to get with Mitsubishi. But I think his questions were more longterm than anything.

With that being said, a test drive is what talked me into my MR.