Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Looking at buying another evo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at buying another evo

I bought a brand new 2005 WW lancer evolution off the show room floor back in 2005, I sold it in 2007, biggest mistake, I have missed the car ever since, and haven't owned anything I liked as much since(my viper is pretty close though). I am looking at buying another evo now, but not sure what I want. I would like to find a clean 05 or newer evo 8 or 9, because I know the car. But I am really thinking would I like a evo x, what are the pros and cons of owning one over the other.Im not familiar with the Evo x so maybe if someone could give me a quick rundown of whats better with these cars, what trans is better the stick or paddle shift, wich is better to modd and what does it take to get some good power out of these car. thanks for you help
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have a IX MR and now have a X GSR. I have almost the same bolt ons but I felt like the IX was faster. I think there is a several hundred pound weight difference.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

What year Viper do you have?

I sold my 05 SRT-10 Ram for my Evo-X...no regrets at all. Yea sure i miss the V-10 but this car is amazing.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:55 AM

I've heard many people say that the IX's were faster but I still like my X better.

Stick vs paddle- I like the feeling of pushing the clutch and actually shifting so my alliance lies with stick, however I think the only thing the SST did was shave like 10ths off the times compared to the SST (stock)

I love mine, so all I can say is go reclaim your love for the EVO's you won't be disappointed at all. I know others that are way more in depth with these cars can contribute technical facts to you. Good luck in your search
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by jordan19852
I bought a brand new 2005 WW lancer evolution off the show room floor back in 2005, I sold it in 2007, biggest mistake, I have missed the car ever since, and haven't owned anything I liked as much since(my viper is pretty close though). I am looking at buying another evo now, but not sure what I want. I would like to find a clean 05 or newer evo 8 or 9, because I know the car. But I am really thinking would I like a evo x, what are the pros and cons of owning one over the other.Im not familiar with the Evo x so maybe if someone could give me a quick rundown of whats better with these cars, what trans is better the stick or paddle shift, wich is better to modd and what does it take to get some good power out of these car. thanks for you help
pics of the Viper and I'll believe you.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

I have driven a IX (granted I suck at driving a stick), but I MUCH preferred the comfort of the X and the power felt the similar or better in the X. I don't think you could possibly regret going with the newer model
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Daily drove an Evo VIII for 6 years. Took it on 4 road trips that were 3000+ miles in length.

I just got to where I could not live with it anymore. The civility of the X I currently have is the only reason I'm still in an Evo.

But IMHO the major flaw of the X is ergonomic. My VIII fit like a glove, but the seats bottoms in the X are uncomfortably tight (and I am not a big guy) and because of the higher beltline I cannot see out of the thing (I am not a big guy). And the 'leather-wrapped' steering wheel feels like plastic to me. I'd rather have the old Momo wheel from my VIII.

I still love the car, but I need to tweak it. I actually logged in today to research putting in aftermarket seats. I was playing with raising the existing seats, but then I'll still be uncomfortable.

Edit: I think the VIII and IX had a special something that the X lacks. Mitsu rounded off the sharp edges of the old car when making the X. A lot of the edges needed rounding. But a few are what made the car special.

Last edited by Berserker; Jul 25, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

I did the same thing my friend!! Bought a brand new WW 05 MR, and sold it two yrs later I bought a Tacoma due to hauling around my dirt bike, but just couldnt handle driving a truck as my daily driver! I had a couple of STI's, 07 and 08 but always missed my EVO. I bought my 2010 GSR last April, and just love it!
I think u will find it is a better daily driver then the 8 or 9, however, I do miss the 6 speed man tranny! The X handles better with the AYC, but does lack the rawness and the steering feedback of previous gen's. Really the X is a big upgrade from the 8 or 9. Seats are better, interior is much nicer, and doesn't look so boy racer. I would go for a test drive in GSR and a MR to see if the SST is for you. Whatever ur choice, welcome back!! Once you get the EVO bug it sure is hard to live without one.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:21 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I've owned a 03 VIII, 08 MR, and now a 11 GSR.

I loved all of them. I absolutely loved the 08 MR transmission, but the risk of a $10k transmission replacement was too much to risk. Sold it to buy a house, ended up getting another Evo ;p. I'm glad to be in my 11 GSR, especially after the SRP pedal upgrade. I actually prefer the X seats over the VIII (had both VIII seats and IX seats in my VIII). My VIII had a TON of suspension, drivetrain, chassis upgrades. I still prefer the handling of both the Xs (though the GSR needs some better struts).

The VIII was a great car, stout engine, great power delivery. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either cars, they are very similar imo, especially after a few small upgrades to both cars.

Just go test drive the MR and GSR and figure it out yourself. When I bought my MR I went in for a GSR and the transmission completely blew me away. I tracked my MR multiple times and that transmission just LOVES to be pushed on the track (always went on cool days). Good luck with your testing
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sell the Viper and get the EVO you know better, go and get that 05 WW that you regret selling so much. I couldn't live with myself.
I love my 05 GG MR, also love my X MR :P.
X MR's are best for DD.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:44 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
^--- Only problem with that is trying to find a CLEAN VIII and IX now days that doesn't cost a fortune is about impossible. I looked for 6 months, everything was modded, WAY over what the bank would loan, or just straight trashed on. I was even willing to make exceptions since it was a track car. I had to give up.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:41 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ lol in about ten years from now I'm selling my pristine EVO 8 for a million bucks.
2 seat cars are nice but not practical most of the time, my family guy opinion.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Lol can one person own too many evos in their lifetime?