Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

widening of stock leather seat...?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a 36-38 and i just about pulled the trigger on a x, the back fit fine but i also found the thighs were really tight and i had to keep my legs together. I also have some pretty muscular thighs though not the Asian stick legs they were designed around, lol.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Great thread.
While I'm a 36-38 waist the torso bolsters don't bother even though I have a pretty muscular back. For me the thigh bolsters are a concern, due to the fact that I have sciatic nerve pain down my outer left leg from a parachuting injury.
I love the bolsters but for someone with a sensitive injury, I wonder if this will become torture on longer or normal driving as this will be a daily for me.
I will be buying one as soon as I get back from Iraq, and though I love manuals my injury has steered me directly into the MR which keeps my left foot less busy, even though I drive two pedal cars with both feet. Left for brake right for gas.

Is it possible to take the seats to an upholsterer and have the bolsters relaxed.

On another note, I think all you turds talking about weight reduction are ignorant. Not knowing the op personally...making the assumption that he's over weight is pretty gay. I am by no means over weight but I have thick muscular legs from walking up mountains with heavy loads and hitting the gym instead of hanging at starbucks typing on forums about other men loosing weight. He didn't ask for health info....sheesh.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Much respect to you military guys. I see what you have to go through living on a FOB.

I'm sure you can modify the seat's side bolstering to be a little less narrow in the thigh area. As with any mod, just takes a little cash.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kendogg
No. I found it funny how MattACK called the people telling him to loose weight (very helpful response by the way)

"I guess all you boys are built like a Thai 12 year old ladyboy."

The seats are not funny. I don't like them. But others do. Its just opinions
ok response police! There's nothing wrong with a little humor, and you misunderstood the joke in which you set yourself up for. You said: Ladyboys, they widen as you break them in. I know you meant the seats. Whatever. Screw it. Moving along.

ok, i guess i'll get to the topic. I'm 160 lbs, it fits me well, and i STILL think it's a bit uncomfortable. Anyone a little bit bigger than me that sits shotgun always complains about how they don't fit. However, i've seen x owners of all shapes and sizes, they seem to make it work somehow...
Old Jul 9, 2012, 05:42 PM

For those still inquiring I'm 6'1" and 205 pounds with a 44 inch chest. The seats have 6400 miles on them.

The pure lack of intellect here astounds me. I asked about widening the seats and if anyone has done it, then all we get are people who do either two things: Give their height and weight and say they fit just fine, or the tools that say you're fat for not fitting in them. Neither of which was the topic of discussion.

Some have mentioned positioning in the seat and I have tried to do that. But the damn non-telescoping wheel is a pain. It is very difficult to get the wheel tilt and seat set while trying to keep the legs together and my size 13 feet on the pedals the right way. If I am able to splay my legs out like I could in my STi I'd be good. Damn the STi for not having bolsters and damn the Evo for having too much bolster! I can't win!!! Some say their cloth or alcantra seats break in but these leather MR-T seats aren't! It seems to be a testament to their quality though.

I'm going to look locally to find some interior shops and see what they can do. Even if it can be widened only half an inch to an inch on both sides I'd be good. A few people here have the same issue I do, and I'll report back with what I find out.

Last edited by MattACK; Jul 9, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MattACK
Oh you MF'er! Lol. I guess all you boys are built like a Thai 12 year old ladyboy.

It is the bolsters at the front of the seat that push into my mid thighs. Bolsters on the seatback are fine, and the ones where my *** goes are fine too. Just the forward ones.

Regardless I didn't ask everyone's opinion of their waist size and how well they fit in the seat.
Haha Mr sensative.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:17 AM

Matt - I have the same issue with the bolsters. I found that midway up my thigh it would kill. For a lack of a better way of articulating it; if I keep my legs tight together so I fit in the bolsters...my ***** are squished. It feels like there is a metal rod in the bolsters to provide the structure...I put my hands on the bolsters and sit on my hands...pushing them out. Seems to work pretty good and my seats fit much better now.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:33 AM

Has anyone had any luck getting the bolster cushions adjusted???
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by japps
Matt - I have the same issue with the bolsters. I found that midway up my thigh it would kill. For a lack of a better way of articulating it; if I keep my legs tight together so I fit in the bolsters...my ***** are squished. It feels like there is a metal rod in the bolsters to provide the structure...I put my hands on the bolsters and sit on my hands...pushing them out. Seems to work pretty good and my seats fit much better now.
I will give that a look. Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffo24
ok response police! There's nothing wrong with a little humor, and you misunderstood the joke in which you set yourself up for. You said: Ladyboys, they widen as you break them in. I know you meant the seats. Whatever. Screw it. Moving along.

ok, i guess i'll get to the topic. I'm 160 lbs, it fits me well, and i STILL think it's a bit uncomfortable. Anyone a little bit bigger than me that sits shotgun always complains about how they don't fit. However, i've seen x owners of all shapes and sizes, they seem to make it work somehow...
There is nothing wrong with a little humor when it doesn't involve you right?

160lbs??? I may need "to loose weight" as some will say. But it sounds like some people need to hit the weights. Unless some of ya'll are like 5 foot flat
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:55 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a little humor when it doesn't involve you right?
Ummm...might want to keep a sense of perspective after posting something like this:

I'm 6'0" and 400lb's and drive an Evo. I kid you not, 400. I actually sit on some foam pillows like an old man would sit on a doughnut pillow for his hemroids. I figured I hope to loose weight. If I wait to buy an Evo after I shrink down to a 26" waist then I will never own one. [...]

Unless some of ya'll are like 5 foot flat
FWIW, I'm ~6'/ ~190lbs.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:25 AM
Evolving Member

Everyone here (for the most part) is misunderstanding his issue. Im only 170, 31" waist 5'8" and the bolsters near the end of the seat annoy me as well. Your only options for reshaping the seat without damaging your leather/fabric would be to remove the padding and modify the structure giving the seat its shape. seems like too big of a headache for me, and dont expect the seats to break in too too much.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
Ummm...might want to keep a sense of perspective after posting something like this:

FWIW, I'm ~6'/ ~190lbs.
Not sure what that really means....but ok

Anyways...yeah...I'm a chunky butt. I use to really be into body building. I was injured when I was in the Army and then put on meds (side effects caused weight gain amongst many other things). I'm sure this is something you understand. O weight (pun intended)...how many years did you spend serving your country? Thats right....

I also really packed on some pounds when I started my gov't job and when I quit smoking. Yeah I should loose weight. I have actually dropped 20lb's as of late but got many more to go.

My point is the seats do bother many people and not all of those people are "fat". The seats being tight have been threads over and over. All I'm saying is people should keep their helpful comments of "loose weight" to yourself. It is really not needed, not helpful, and in a way off topic. Not to mention it makes you look like a dick. Especially considering that I'm sure the people saying "loose weight" are far from perfect themselves. Some may be fat. Some may be ugly. Some may be bald. Some may be sick looking lady boy thin. And some are simply dicks to others cause deep down they are unhappy with themselves.

Also going out of your way to make a comment as you did is really taking it a step further past that. Especially going out of your way to copy something from a different thread. On that note I really only have one more thing to say to you:

Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:23 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure what that really means....but ok
It means that you might want to maintain a more lighthearted attitude. You'd kinda have to in order to drive an Evo while sitting on a bunch of pillows.

Smile a little.

Quick Reply: widening of stock leather seat...?