Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How do I know dealer is putting synthetic oil in my car?

Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I know dealer is putting synthetic oil in my car?

I just bought Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil and took it to the dealer to get the oil changed. During the oil change they didn't allow me to stay by my car and make sure they are putting the oil I bought. Is there anyway to tell what kind of oil they put in my car?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

If you brought the oil with you which is what I understood from your post, then is some of it missing? I highly doubt that they'd dump it out. Where did you go? Was it a chain place or a mom and pop shop? The only way you can be sure is to do it yourself.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xTiCkxMYxLaInTx
If you brought the oil with you which is what I understood from your post, then is some of it missing? I highly doubt that they'd dump it out. Where did you go? Was it a chain place or a mom and pop shop? The only way you can be sure is to do it yourself.
He said he took it to the dealer. But, I agree, was there any oil left? Or did they use it all? Ultimately you'll never know for sure, but if you don't trust a dealer to use the provided oil to change your oil...you probably should not be using that dealer.

I'm saying you're acting a little paranoid, but not like this :

Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Not unless you have visual proof. Unless their waiting area has a window you can see the work being done you probably won't be allowed in the service bay because of liability issues.

What you can do is check on the oil level and look to see if the fluid is nice and golden in color which indicates they put the right amount and that it is fresh oil.

That's just about as much as you can do other then as stated do it yourself. You could ask to see the empty bottles but at that point you're starting to bumping into the trust issue which is not a good thing. That said if you don't have a good vibe about the staff there I'd take my business elsewhere.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

I just wanted to make sure because asking if there was some left seemed like a retarded question to ask... but it had to be asked.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBlade

I'm saying you're acting a little paranoid, but not like this :

Come on, leave Giorgio Tsoukalos alone...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by acm_evo
Come on, leave Giorgio Tsoukalos alone...
This better?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
All i can say is that when i was a mechanic- if the customer brought their oil in - i used it.

But yeah, if you can't trust 'em - do it yourself!

Get the race ramps, pan, set of metric wrenchs, funnel, drain pan. These parts pay for themselves in ~4 changes (at a dealer).
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
You're being a bit paranoid here. Using anything but what you brought in would cost them money.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
You're being a bit paranoid here. Using anything but what you brought in would cost them money.
I agree because you're dealing with a dealer.

However, if you're dealing with some random shop, I don't think it would be far fetched for some shady mechanic to keep the mobil1 for himself, and then load your car up with some other synthetic oil.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly. I guess you could get a sample from the dipstick and send it in to Mobil 1 HQ lol
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:06 PM

OK so I have a stupid question, why are you taking in the oil with you in the first place? also how much does an oil change cost these days on the evo x through the dealer?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
It's generally cheaper to buy the Mobil 1 at Walmart and pay only for a filter and labor. You're looking about about $50 vs. $80.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's generally cheaper to buy the Mobil 1 at Walmart and pay only for a filter and labor. You're looking about about $50 vs. $80.
Hmm well I just called the mechanic I use, and he said they do not allow customers to bring their own oil... He says it's going to be $80+tax.

I guess it's time to buy a jack & some jack stands!

Last edited by Kreeker; Sep 12, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:45 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I do this all the time except in the mitsu dealer they let me drive my evo to the service bay because I don't want anybody touching it.

going back to mobil 1 oil, I know they put it in because if you try to smell the new mobil 1 oil, it has a distinct burnt odor to it compared to other generic/synthetic oils. if I try to smell the dipstick and smell the same oil, then I know they used my oil. try it! lmk! proof positive!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I know dealer is putting synthetic oil in my car?