Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Which car would you get - Evo X, Lexus GS350 FSport, BMW 535, or Audi S4?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which car would you get - Evo X, Lexus GS350 FSport, BMW 535, or Audi S4?

I know people usually don't cross-shop these cars together. But I happen to be in this situation. Let me explain.

I started out looking for performance-oriented luxury sedans. Then I realize my commute takes only 10 minute one way. What I do does not leave me with a lot of spare time to drive around after I get off work. Even over the weekends, since I live in a small town, I get to most places I need to go in short amount of time.

All of the above makes me somewhat reluctant to spend $55K to $65K on a car. This was when I started considering Evo. I may be a bit old for the car (I'm 38), but I know I will be thoroughly euphoric over Evo's performance. The only thing that Evo is lacking is refinement, which is also the one negative trait about Evo I cannot completely overlook. I briefly considered Mini Cooper JCW hardtop, but has decided that car is just not for me.

I still have several more weeks to think about this. I appreciate any input/thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 7, 2012, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Def do not get an evo if refinement is what you seek. You'll regret the purchase for sure. Have you test drove an evo?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Evo x doesnt seem to be in that class at all completely different kind of car imo.
Out of the other 3 i would go with the 535
Old Oct 7, 2012, 04:57 PM

What are your requirements?

Apologies in advance for the length.

I wanted a awd (great in the snow, not just good), seats five (3 kids), manual, fast, decent gas mileage, around 30k, to make sure the wife hates to drive it, and a not-like-everyone-else look.

The evox refinements are in the engine and super all wheel control system derived from its rally experience.

What I have realized is that if you are over 40 or close to it, which I am, you are in the 10 percent group of owners of the Evo. That means your son's friends know more about your car that you do and their fathers do, initially. Tracking the X is so much fun that you will consider taking vacation days to drive it with SCDA or NASA, etc. You may get pull over in every town on the way to work and get asked if this car is street legal.'

If your requirements include impressing your friends with a quiet car that is like driving around town in your living room, like the merc, bmw, lexus, audi, and other premium cars (all good cars that I own or have owned), never really want to go "that fast", then the evo is not the car. The evo x has some points that you should consider: Interior noise is loud but can be managed down with modifications, the paint comes off when the wind blows too hard, cultish owner community, stealership (countered with easy to do most of the work yourself if you have the time and tools), room to grow power and torque (where money spent and power are positively correlated), and amazing to drive (to really max it out take to the track with some instruction).

After watching Jackie Stewart whip a car a around a track at some age over 70, I decided that I am not old enough to drive a Volvo yet. EvoX became the daily driver.

Best of luck in your search.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

38 to old for an evo..

dam I know guys in there 60's with evo's and they enjoy it as much as everyone else here.

hey if you don't mine used and want something within the realm of performance a used GTR could be have for in the 60's
its luxury + performance

and you will definetely impress your boss lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...item564d33fca0

Last edited by FastAttack; Oct 7, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TopKnife
I know people usually don't cross-shop these cars together. But I happen to be in this situation. Let me explain.

I started out looking for performance-oriented luxury sedans. Then I realize my commute takes only 10 minute one way. What I do does not leave me with a lot of spare time to drive around after I get off work. Even over the weekends, since I live in a small town, I get to most places I need to go in short amount of time.

All of the above makes me somewhat reluctant to spend $55K to $65K on a car. This was when I started considering Evo. I may be a bit old for the car (I'm 38), but I know I will be thoroughly euphoric over Evo's performance. The only thing that Evo is lacking is refinement, which is also the one negative trait about Evo I cannot completely overlook. I briefly considered Mini Cooper JCW hardtop, but has decided that car is just not for me.

I still have several more weeks to think about this. I appreciate any input/thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!
Get an S4...Evo doesn't not have refinement, you'll be completely beat up.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by dtfrost5
What are your requirements?

Apologies in advance for the length.

I wanted a awd (great in the snow, not just good), seats five (3 kids), manual, fast, decent gas mileage, around 30k, to make sure the wife hates to drive it, and a not-like-everyone-else look.

The evox refinements are in the engine and super all wheel control system derived from its rally experience.

What I have realized is that if you are over 40 or close to it, which I am, you are in the 10 percent group of owners of the Evo. That means your son's friends know more about your car that you do and their fathers do, initially. Tracking the X is so much fun that you will consider taking vacation days to drive it with SCDA or NASA, etc. You may get pull over in every town on the way to work and get asked if this car is street legal.'

If your requirements include impressing your friends with a quiet car that is like driving around town in your living room, like the merc, bmw, lexus, audi, and other premium cars (all good cars that I own or have owned), never really want to go "that fast", then the evo is not the car. The evo x has some points that you should consider: Interior noise is loud but can be managed down with modifications, the paint comes off when the wind blows too hard, cultish owner community, stealership (countered with easy to do most of the work yourself if you have the time and tools), room to grow power and torque (where money spent and power are positively correlated), and amazing to drive (to really max it out take to the track with some instruction).

After watching Jackie Stewart whip a car a around a track at some age over 70, I decided that I am not old enough to drive a Volvo yet. EvoX became the daily driver.

Best of luck in your search.
Btw, thanks for all of your inputs!

My requirement is simple - getting a car that I'll be happy with factoring in the cost.

All of my friends are already impressed with me and would remain equally impressed even if I drive a Prius (J/K). Therefore, the prestige associated with the make is irrelevant. At the same time, I don't need an all-out race car. This car will be my daily driver so some creature comfort would be nice. Ideally, the amount of enjoyment one gets out of a car should be proportional to the cost paid. I just haven't quite figured out which of the ones listed provides the best enjoyment to cost ratio.

As of now, Evo remains on the top of my list. S4 provides similar performance with more luxury. However, it does so with a significantly bigger price tag.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:15 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TopKnife
At the same time, I don't need an all-out race car. This car will be my daily driver so some creature comfort would be nice.
The X doesn't sound like the right car for you. Other than reaping the street cred aspects of ownership - which don't seem to interest you at all - there's only one reason to buy this car. Good luck.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 09:00 PM

S4 most definitely, I have had a few German cars and Audi is the one I most adore, especially the S4. If you want refinement, fit and finish in a all-around great package I suggest the S4.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 09:17 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have driven cars from aston martin(vantage), ferrari(scaglietti), porsche(all), bmw(all), MB(all), maserati(quattroporte) and with it comes a price tag that doesn't explain the worth of driving it. I have owned and driven the evo from the IX to the X and it is the driving experience that separates it from the other cars I mentioned. I tried the X MR which is your interest but it has been numbed with similar tactile driving experience like the rest of the cars I mentioned. Try driving the evo X GSR last after driving the "others" and you will be able to make your choice. I was 44 when I owned the IX
Old Oct 7, 2012, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

forget the 535 get an m3 or m5. both faster then any of these cars and obviously the luxury of bmw.. and bmw is one of the few car makers that still produce manual.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I drive an evo x, my dad drives the gs350 f-sport awd and my second cousin drives an audi s4. I have driven all these cars including the bmw 535 (test drive). I love the evo, its an extremely fun car to drive and it responds well to bolt ons. Since I'm young, I don't mind the interior at all. The gs350 f-sport is a nice car, very comparable to the bmw 535. Power wise, they feel the exact same. If I was choosing between the lexus and bmw, I would choose the lexus. The interior is extremely nice, a huge upgrade from my old is350; the handling is amazing, pretty comparable to the evo actually. The s4 is extremely smooth and easy to drive, it is a fun car but I find the torque is lacking. It doesn't have that throw you back in your seat effect like the evo does. In your predicament, I would choose the gs350 f-sport if your looking for a luxurious slightly larger vehicle. If your looking for a sportier car that you can toss around, I would choose the s4 since its smaller, faster and still has the luxury that you're looking for. Good luck with your decision man; They're all great cars, I'm sure you will enjoy what ever you decide to get
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:45 PM

I have an 2012 Evo X MR and an 2012 Audi S4. While on paper, these cars are similar with the Audi being significantly more, I prefer the MR if nothing but one major reason... reliability (yeah, you read that right ). My wife and I thought the S4 would be the perfect blend for us, my modded 2003 Evo 8 and her 2008 Altima, so we got rid of both and got the S4... and we regret doing it because neither really got what we wanted in the compromise.

The S4 is the worst car I have ever owned in the reliability department. My car just made a year old and has been in the shop for almost 3 months. Audi dealer network in my area is incompetent and not trained to work on these cars. The car is bone stock (purposefully) and has every bell and whistle from the factory. Audi corporate isn't much better. Funny, I've owned 2 Evos now and specifically thought I would be stepping up in the reliability/service department with the Audi but it has been a MAJOR mistake. My Audi warranty, while I get to keep it and use it unlike a Mitsu (my experience), is almost useless because they can't diagnose and fix any problem. I had my 2003 Evo for 8 years and traded it for the S4, and it was so much more reliable and I had just about every bolt-on all installed by me and never needed a warranty. And with forums like this, you have a nice support group of information. The Audi community, you have a community of people (mostly but not all) that just want to rice the car out, slam it and throw on 20s.

The S4 is a better looking car imo, and my wife and I get lots of compliments from the ley person who knows nothing about cars. The interior quality is way above the MRs and the power delivery with the supercharged 3.0 v6 is smoother. I have the DSG in the S4, and its amazing how much different the MR and S4 are in character even though they share a similar transmission technology. The S4's "sportiest" Dynamic mode (I have Audi Drive Select too) isn't as aggressive as the MR's normal mode with shift points, throttle and the sport diff is more artificial feeling than the MR's AWD system. In the S4, it feels like a normal torque converter automatic transmission, very smooth and 7 gears. The MR feels like a real manual, you feel the clutches and the engagement.

I very well could have a lemon, and live in the wrong area to have an Audi due to the poor dealer network so YMMV if you decide to go S4. But if you like driving and handling, the MR will run circles around the S4 stock for stock and is a much more rewarding drive. The S4 is faster in a straight line stock, and has torque everywhere but the Evo is connected (even in MR trim) where the S4 is numb with a very odd steering feel that I can't get used to. I am not a fan of Quattro, and while the MR is only 2 to 300 pounds lighter than the S4, the S4 can't manage the weight like the MR does, and you really feel it.

If you want the more luxury, upmarket car where everyone that knows nothing about cars will pay you a compliment, the S4 is the winner . But that's nothing anyone doesn't already know, but if you like value a connected driving experience, reliability (ha!), and ultimately a much better performing car with any mods in the equation, don't be fooled to think the S4 will be a match for the Evo like I was.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

To add, ill be 30 in a couple months and cruise with the car seat in the back. Don't let age be a factor. I will add that if you opt for a gsr, look into leather. Gives the car a bit more upscale feeling. It was a must for me.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Evo X MR Touring...you'll love it. Leather, sunroof, no big wing, more compliant suspension, extra sound deadening, etc.

Quick Reply: Which car would you get - Evo X, Lexus GS350 FSport, BMW 535, or Audi S4?