Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Service Engine Soon flashing under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Engine Soon flashing under acceleration

I noticed my engine light flash a couple times under acceleration today but did not stay on or do it again after I noticed it. I've seen it do this once before but didn't think anything of it.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Mods: turbo XS TBE, o2 dump, fujita intake, AMS FMI, hard pipes, crushed BOV, Pro Tune (Mike Botti)
Old Apr 29, 2014, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tephra knock sensor mod don't worry.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did Mike tune your car? Just call him at EFI.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
That is usually a shift light from pro tuners if you don't have one.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 06:25 AM

What is a tephra knock sensor? Same as a normal knock sensor?

Also, if it's a shift light wouldn't I see it more often? I take it up towards 7k often enough... He he he
Old Apr 30, 2014, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Your tune has a patch called TephraMod and one of the features is the check engine light flashes depending on how much knock the engine is experiencing. A slow flash is usually set for a small (1-2) amount of knock, and a fast flash is set for a larger amount of knock.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I knock is not a good thing. Not sure exactly how it affects the engine but is there something specific that may be causing this? Bad gas? Weather? I haven't changed anything since the day it was tuned so I'm wondering why it would do that.

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

If it's not consistent then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe let your tuner know and see if they want you to do anything.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

How long ago were you tuned?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking
Knocking (also called knock, detonation, spark knock, pinging or pinking) in spark-ignition internal combustion engines occurs when combustion of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder starts off correctly in response to ignition by the spark plug, but one or more pockets of air/fuel mixture explode outside the envelope of the normal combustion front.

The fuel-air charge is meant to be ignited by the spark plug only, and at a precise point in the piston's stroke. Knock occurs when the peak of the combustion process no longer occurs at the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The shock wave creates the characteristic metallic "pinging" sound, and cylinder pressure increases dramatically. Effects of engine knocking range from inconsequential to completely destructive.

----------------

If it is happening regularly and in a consistent manner through a gear, i would call and have your tuner re-evaluate it. If it is random, i wouldnt worry.
Does it happen more when cold? More when warmed up and youve been driving 20+ miles?
only under WOT?

Mine has the TephraV7 Mod as well, I have the same light, Usually will show under cold conditions (cold motor, =more knock)
I wont drive my car unless warming it up anymore. If im driving in COLD weather, i pick up a couple knocks through the gears as well, if WOT if i haven't been driving the car that long, but it is warmed up to operating temp. After driving 10+ miles, I usually never see the light for the rest of the night. Now as this is random, and not a everyday occurrence, like i said, if you see it everyday and happening in a pattern i would want to have that looked at. I have a Slow flash, for 1-2 knocks, and fast flash for 3-6 knocks. ALSO, i do have 272 Jun cams, which are quite aggressive, which i think might be attributing some phantom knock to this, and tricking the knock sensor. None the less, If you dont have evoscan, and dont know what to look for, call your tuner, and have a professional look at it.

/rantover

Last edited by VanduzerWilliam; Apr 30, 2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the thorough explanation. Seems like I shouldn't be too worried. It happened on a fairly cold day with only 3-4 miles on a fairly cold engine. I'll let it warm up good from here out and get some more run time before matting it.
Thanks again guys
Old May 1, 2014, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pudge23
Thanks for the thorough explanation. Seems like I shouldn't be too worried. It happened on a fairly cold day with only 3-4 miles on a fairly cold engine. I'll let it warm up good from here out and get some more run time before matting it.
Thanks again guys

That should be just fine, Warming it up makes it happy, Happy evos last longer!
Old May 2, 2014, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
That is usually a shift light from pro tuners if you don't have one.
Lol wat? Never heard of this
Old May 3, 2014, 07:05 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mrwickd123
Lol wat? Never heard of this
waaaay back in the day it was an option, I think Cobb might still have it too
Old May 3, 2014, 07:07 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Pudge23
What is a tephra knock sensor?
"tephra" is the screen name of the dude that wrote the code to make it do that. Think of it like an add on to ECU Flash. So we all call it "tephra mod" because it's a software modification that a guy named tephra (he's on here) did to ECUFlash that is awesome.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon flashing under acceleration