Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Automatic? (Questions & Questions)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Evo X Automatic? (Questions & Questions)

Simple quick question that google seems too play around with me.

My girl looking for a new car. Her options is Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS, Lancer Evo X (My idea). Well, the girl cant drive manual until i teach her. But she is in love with the cars. Anyway, Does the Evo X come in automatic? The only one i had seen for sale over here was a Evo MR Automatic and it was not equipped with a spoiler and im not sure why.

Random question i would like too know.. Why does some Evo X come with a painted bottom bumper under the intercooler when others have a black painted lip under the intercooler stock? The price amazingly varies from 32k - 49k in all different evo's over here. It's nuts to know which one has the better qualities. Their is a red one for 32k. Their is a silver one for 36k. Their is a black one for 49k. WTF? lol.

Thanks guys.

Main question: Are a lot of evo X's automatic? Looking for one and only seen a MR.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah the EVO MR doesn't come with a spoiler but is perfect for a woman in a lot of ways. It revs for you, which makes sport and super sport very fun for someone not good at shifting for themselves. Then it is incredibly fun for a stickshift person to work the paddles or the shifter. Win / Win in my opinion. Just be aware these cars cost a lot for maintenance. Around 500 to get the transmission fluid changed for instance.

Read up on the SST transmission (MR) it's awesome. It has two clutches so it shifts incredibly fast like 8 miliseconds. Great feeling transmission to drive. Car prices vary based on options. Fully loaded with leather etc. mid 40's easy for this car. You should be able to get a fully fully loaded MR out of the showroom for around 42-43. That's maxed out with leather etc.. (totally worth it I love it)

Awesome car / suggestion. Another fun car she might try is the 2015 WRX CVT it would take care of her as well and be fun to drive.

The BRZ and FRS are so slow she would get bored with them quick. Wife wanted one, we hated the test drive, no longer interested.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Yeah the EVO MR doesn't come with a spoiler but is perfect for a woman in a lot of ways. It revs for you, which makes sport and super sport very fun for someone not good at shifting for themselves. Then it is incredibly fun for a stickshift person to work the paddles or the shifter. Win / Win in my opinion. Just be aware these cars cost a lot for maintenance. Around 500 to get the transmission fluid changed for instance.

Read up on the SST transmission (MR) it's awesome. It has two clutches so it shifts incredibly fast like 8 miliseconds. Great feeling transmission to drive. Car prices vary based on options. Fully loaded with leather etc. mid 40's easy for this car. You should be able to get a fully fully loaded MR out of the showroom for around 42-43. That's maxed out with leather etc.. (totally worth it I love it)

Awesome car / suggestion. Another fun car she might try is the 2015 WRX CVT it would take care of her as well and be fun to drive.

The BRZ and FRS are so slow she would get bored with them quick. Wife wanted one, we hated the test drive, no longer interested.

Thank You. When does the 15 models arrive? maybe a wrx is a good idea considering it should be awd and we will live MN. thanks. yes i was very surprised someone would pay that kind of money and not get a 3 series instead. I'm sure a lot did.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
Thank You. When does the 15 models arrive? maybe a wrx is a good idea considering it should be awd and we will live MN. thanks. yes i was very surprised someone would pay that kind of money and not get a 3 series instead. I'm sure a lot did.

If you're gonna go with the Subaru.. Get the Impreza and not the STI.. The 2.5L boxer engine is still sh*t ever since 2003.. Burning oil and blowing piston rings out the a** like no ones business..

Why not just have her get a nice 09-10 X GSR and have her learn standard? Only takes 2-3 hours to get the full hang of it. Definitely cheaper to maintain and makes a sexier woman.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 05:52 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Prices will vary with mods. The only thing rarer than a Fiero with its original body is an unmodified EVO.

The EVO X MR has a twin clutch paddle shift transmission with an "automatic" mode, not a slush box.
A lot of manufacturers are going with "auto-only" twin clutch manuals, to avoid the drivetrain losses from a "torque converter", to improve mileage.

I love the Getrag twin clutch. But I've only ever used it in "automatic" on the freeway, where it didn't have much to do.
In "manual" mode, you still pick the shift points, but you only need to flick a paddle (or push-pull the stick).
It'll also let you override it, even in "automatic" mode.

Scooby doesn't have a twin clutch. Instead, they have a CVT.
But the CVT is still "immature" tech. What looks good "on paper" might not look so good a few years on.

The 2015 STi doesn't currently come with a CVT option, only a stick.
And, as mentioned, a lot of people on the Scooby side are disappointed that they improved almost everything on the STi, but left that same old engine.

Mercedes and BMW are building cars to compete with the rally machines, but the C45AMG and M135i aren't as crisp as the EVO.
The interiors are better, but they cost a lot more, too.

You might also want to compare the Volvo S60R.

Oh, yes: the reason the MR doesn't have a big wing is that it doesn't need it.
The EVO VIII had the same body shell as the FWD Lancer, with the nearly vertical rear window.
That split the air coming off the roof and left a low pressure area over the big boot.
For the FWD, since the rear wheels are just an afterthought , it wasn't as important.
But for the AWD, it needed the big wing to nail down the back tires.
At 80 mph, the VIII had up to 400 lbs of lift on the rear deck that the spoiler had to counter.
With 5 mph of wind from the rear (when parked) the airflow over the wing would lift the trunk open if I popped the latch.

The EVO X has a smaller rear deck and a much more sloped ("fast back") rear window, so there's far less "lift" in the back. The tiny lip spoiler is enough to handle it.
And it doesn't yell "arrest me" to every cop in town.

I've always said that an Italian car in red comes factory equipped with a police car in the rear-view mirror.
The ricers with big wings are similarly equipped.

Last edited by DGS; Jun 15, 2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 06:25 AM
Account Disabled

We test drove the MR and the Tobaru twins and went with a 2012 MR. My girl loves the car it is comfortable, quick, and has all the toys we like. The tobaru was alright but it was the power that sold us on the MR.

The only precautions I'd throw out is in my initial research, if its an 3 to 4 year old car, have the awc/ayc controller checked for corrosion as its expensive to replace, and make sure you do your scheduled maintenance.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by DGS
Scooby doesn't have a twin clutch. Instead, they have a CVT.
But the CVT is still "immature" tech. What looks good "on paper" might not look so good a few years on.
Well... I have a 1999 Nissan Primera and it has a CVT gearbox in it. So it has been there for some time already
My car is one of the first to ever have a CVT gearbox on it's not very efficient compared to the new ones I think. But I tell you something: it's very different from any other gearbox you may have ever driven. In "normal" mode, it takes some time before full engine power goes to the wheels but I find it very funny when you accelerate because it directly goes FULL REV and makes lot's of noise for no real purpose lol. Before overtaking somebody or doing anything that requires better reaction, I put it on "sport mode" and it works pretty well. Other than that it is very smooth and keeps the engine at very low revs when you're just "riding". My car has only 140hp and the engine runs at around 2'200-2'600 RPMs when at 120k/ph in the highway.
Either you love it or hate it!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
Because it has an amazing AWD and infinite modification potential? I've never regretted my purchase and i could have easily gotten a 3 series or better. This car isn't about the other guy, it's about the driver and handling that feels almost supernatural. You're paying for the tech and engine/drivetrain, however with the full leather recaro package I am not lacking amenities either and can have my cake and eat it too.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you very much everyone for the input. Learned a few things i needed to know. btw she is getting it new so i don't think their is a need to check the wear and tear.

She recently just found out the BRZ does not come in automatic and the FRS does. She likes all 3 of these cars. Women don't know about potential powers. Her decision is between the FRS & 2014 Evo because they have Auto. Picking it up tomorrow whatever she chooses. I'll Post pics if its the Evo
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Gods man talk her into the EVO. The FRS is boring slow!!

You have your mission, make us proud!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 01:57 PM
DGS
Evolving Member

Gods man talk her into the EVO. The FRS is boring slow!!
I gathered that the Toyota 86 derivatives were "exciting slow".

With the nannies off, the car gets a bit tail happy trying to put down what little power it has. (The FRS more than the BRZ, I hear.)
If your girl is Michelle Mouton, she might like a "tail happy" car.

But for someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick, she'd probably be better off with the MR that sticks to the road like glue.

Especially in an MN winter.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 02:15 PM
DGS
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mutorcs
Well... I have a 1999 Nissan Primera and it has a CVT gearbox in it. So it has been there for some time already
I know that several companies have been playing with CVTs for a while.
Often for garden tractors.

But there's still no consensus on design. There are all sorts of systems still trying to fit into the marketplace.
Kinda like the days when steam, four-cycle, and opposing piston engines were all used in early cars.

Subaru put a CVT in the Justy back in '89-'94, but it proved so unreliable that they dropped shipping CVTs to the US until 2010, when they put a new design in the fifth generation Legacy/Outback.
So I'd still rate Scooby's CVT as "unproven".

Most of the car writers hate the CVT as a transmission for someone not at all connected to the machine.
A good gearbox for the cell phone zombies.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by DGS
Most of the car writers hate the CVT as a transmission for someone not at all connected to the machine.
A good gearbox for the cell phone zombies.
Whathever you say, it's just another way to be connected to your machine! It's a very special transmission indeed. You need some time to learn how to use it correctly... But now that I drive it for some time I DO feel connected to my machine and to the way it works and I LOVE IT!
Now if you're only concerned about pure performance, I doubt the CVT will be as performant as other gearboxes... But I can only compare to my old primera!

By the way, do you feel connected to your machine when you drive the super advanced AWD system of the Lancer Evo X that does everything for you? You get my point

Last edited by Mutorcs; Jun 15, 2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 06:43 PM
Account Disabled

The FRS is boring slow!!
I can't emphasis how much slower the FRS is. I feel like I can run faster.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:16 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

... Now if you're only concerned about pure performance, I doubt the CVT will be as performant as other gearboxes... But I can only compare to my old primera!
A motor vehicle is designed to go, stop, and turn. That's the connection.

Can a CVT downshift to set the suspension for a turn? (That's also why I always use the twin clutch in manual mode.)
(And you can override a downshift with the paddles even in "automatic" mode, on the Getrag. Which is why the Getrag was the first paddle shifter I'd buy.)

But that's the whole manual vs automatic debate.
Although even the old slushboxes could be forced into a lower gear for cornering (especially the old Mopar pushbutton automatics ).

Looking around DC area traffic, I sometimes wish we could ban automatic gearboxes.
Those not paying enough attention to actually *drive* the vehicle should just take the bus, rather than dithering in the way of those who are paying attention.

"Drive" is a verb, not a gear.

But then, there are people who like the Tesla or the Prius, too.
There's no accounting for taste.

But "learning how to use" a CVT isn't a matter of learning a CVT, but one particular *model* of CVT, since they're all built differently.
They haven't reached the point of "general consensus and running code", yet.

Some will be better than others, since they're so different.
So far, the ones we've seen in the US are like GM cars: designed for people who shouldn't be behind the wheel.

By the way, do you feel connected to your machine when you drive the super advanced AWD system of the Lancer Evo X that does everything for you? You get my point
The EVO's AWC does it right. It'll help in high speed corners, but I can still kick the back end around at low speeds. (Although it does complain about it on the HUD. )

Quick Reply: Evo X Automatic? (Questions & Questions)