Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

overall evo x reliability?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question overall evo x reliability?

Hello, I'm new to Mitsubishi and evos in general and have been considering buying a evo x. The one I am looking at right now has 68k, is stock, looks clean, ect. I KNOW, you guys cant tell me exactly what that exact car is going to be like but in general what can I expect? YES, I have searched and have found a few things like the timing chain stretching, sometimes short clutch and tire life, and a few other issues, but not much. Anyways what is the general consensuses on reliability. Feel free to mention personal issues you have had as well as additional ones. Thanks, appreciate it.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire life depends on the tires you buy, so not mainly a problem with the evo x just be smart with the tires you buy. Be aware of the ayc pump failing, but with you not being at 100k miles you are ok. The pump has extended warranty 10yr/100k miles. Be careful of the clutch, yes the car is stock but you never know how the previous owner drove it. There's also issues with paint chipping, im sure the one you're looking at has some paint chips. The paint on the evo x is extremely thin, and it doesn't bother many of us if it's just a little bit of it. Other than that just makes sure everything is ok, drives alright, shifts ok, also make sure there is no transfer case wrong. When you test drive it, don't go completely easy on the shifting. Shift kind of hard and fast because sometimes grinds happen when you shif fast only.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 07:12 PM

Thanks, so not too many engine issues then? Are there that many high mileage evo x out there?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by 09 rex
Thanks, so not too many engine issues then? Are there that many high mileage evo x out there?
engine itself is good. It comes from the factory with a bad tune. If you want to keep it stock, I would at least run an off the shelf tune from Cobb to keep it even more reliable.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New to evos, good to know. Keep the tips coming! TIA
Old Mar 10, 2015, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

I'm at 70k miles on a 2012 GSR I bought new. Started modding at around 10k miles. Car hasn't been back to Mitsu except under the CMC recal. It has started everyone I turned the key. It has about 5 hard track days and tons of hard canyon runs. Still running strong.

Be careful searching "Evo problems" because that's exactly what you will find. The SMALL percentage of owners that had problems. It doesn't account for the majority that have never had a problem. People that are happy with something go on living happy, people that have problems with something go online and post it.

I also had a Mitsubishi TV that last 20 years. Actually it never broke but I got rid of it. Lol
Old Mar 10, 2015, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
very reliable car.
even for racing. def. over engineered for daily driving.

but a same time very costly daily driver compere the same price range cars.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
50400 miles on mine. Only issue I had was some codes popping up for intake/exhaust cam sensors but it turned out to be nothing. Did change my timing chain because of it though before I knew there were TSBs for it (thanks all NOT knowing Mitsu dealership!)

I did break off a spark plug but that was totally my dumbass fault...boy was that an expensive mistake.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 08:42 AM

Be prepared...

to replace the ACD pump after 70k, dealing with annoying clunking noises from the front end "rally" suspension, paint chips galore, failing blower components, etc etc etc.
Save your $$
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Too bad there isn't a thread on happy Evo owners lol seems the bad threads out weigh it.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
yes usually this type of thread fills up with almost a same people lol
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
yes usually this type of thread fills up with almost a same people lol
If then car well chain tainted and tuned properly with quality parts, you should not have an issue for the most part in my experience.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
And every forum has gripes about 'thin paint/chips easily'...

Seriously. Shoot a rock at 80 MPH at the front of any car. It will chip. It is just paint, people! If the same rock can chip or crack glass...
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:49 AM

Very reliable if you take care of it. I bought mine in May 2013 and already have 30k. I've been tuned with full bolt ons since around 10k making 353 lb-ft. Not a single issue.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Veronica
And every forum has gripes about 'thin paint/chips easily'...

Seriously. Shoot a rock at 80 MPH at the front of any car. It will chip. It is just paint, people! If the same rock can chip or crack glass...
Yup. Go look at the subaru forums, even the new 2015 sti is a paint chipping nightmare. Thats comig from a company thats "supposed" to be of better quality than mitsu.

Quick Reply: overall evo x reliability?