Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

WTK: can an 'unmarried' cobb ap for gtr r35 be used to read diagnostic codes on my X

Old Aug 28, 2015, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTK: can an 'unmarried' cobb ap for gtr r35 be used to read diagnostic codes on my X

Ok so probably really stupid question but as the title states can i use a gtr r35 cobb ap (JDM) to read trouble codes on my evo x(UKDM gsr fq 300)?

Specifically codes for the SST/ASC/ACD/ABS/4WD?
Scenario: while driving at cruising speed asc off, abs light, along with asc and abs warning/service needed and 4wd warning/service needed(each in yellow) on centre screen on instrument panel came on last night.

Can't get access to a proper diagnostic tool til late next week but from reading through these forums it seems like it may just be a defective wheel speed sensor but need to know which one asap (need the car properly functioning as it's my only mode of transportation for the moment and if it is just a wheel speed sensor i can get the sensor changed within a day) and as i have my bro's gtr cobb was wondering if i can use it to pull the codes without messing up anything on the cobb or vehicle.

My bro has only used the cobb once just to check a CEL code and didn't 'marry' it to the car yet.
So can it be done to read the trouble codes or should i not risk it and wait?

P.S. did a complete fluid change on oil, tranny, transfer case and rear differential gear oil...also installed an ARK DTS dual exhaust and AEM wideband also accidentally drained the battery (VARTA blue dynamic) but recharged it and voltage from the battery has been reading normal(or at least i think so...getting 12.09 volts with car off and reading around 13.9v car on and all lights on) last week...could this be the problem?have a new red top optima battery would swapping them out solve the problem?

Last edited by trinibt65; Aug 28, 2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
no it is made to work for the car model it was made for.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 09:27 PM

God damn it figured as much!
made a few calls tho and got into contact with a shop with the proper equipment...so now for a couple more noob or probably just stupid questions lol

Well my dad is gonna have to drive it there since i'm on a 24 hr shift at work but the thing is it's about a 30 - 45 min drive and i don't have the underpanel on right now so stupid question time now would it be ok for him to drive without it on?mostly gonna be highway driving and should it even be driven there?or towed on a flatbed?
the car is driving normally even with the lights and warnings on
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds like it is your AYC pump going out, but I wouldn't risk it and would probably tow it to be safe. Mitsubishi does warranty that pump for 100k though so they may cover the repair.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 05:12 PM

how do you unmarry the cobb ap?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by stuart2994
how do you unmarry the cobb ap?
Are you trying to buy one that’s married? I wouldn’t bother, if it’s a newer one I think you could send it in and have it done. Cobb no longer works on the first gen I believe.