Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Trying to get my first evo!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to get my first evo!

Hello guys as the title states am trying to get into my first evo . I really wanted an evo 9 but an x sounds more practical. Ok so I been searching around and it's really hard to find one around my area with the exact option I want. I found one that got my attention except the color on it. It's a 2012 gsr for 29k with 32k miles. Does the price sound right? It has a few mods already. The question is it worth getting an evo with mods done to it or should I keep searching for one with out ? What would you choose if you can do it all over again? Also will the warrant be voided?

Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 for 29k? You can get a brand new one for 32! Get a new one unless you really want the used one. Get a good inspection done by an evo shop. Price sounds way too high unless it has 600hp already lol...
Old Jan 5, 2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by AngryEvo
2012 for 29k? You can get a brand new one for 32! Get a new one unless you really want the used one. Get a good inspection done by an evo shop. Price sounds way too high unless it has 600hp already lol...
Really? Good that I asked then what would be a good price for it then? Just trying to get a feeler on what these car actual value are.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 06:02 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you need to finance remember a brand new car has better APR and of course full warrantee and no history. Just a note that 2015 doesn't have recaro seat if you didn't already know. Older evo 8 & 9 also have airbag recall issue or something.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by staumo79
It's a 2012 gsr for 29k with 32k miles. Does the price sound right? It has a few mods already. The question is it worth getting an evo with mods done to it or should I keep searching for one with out ? What would you choose if you can do it all over again? Also will the warrant be voided?

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum. I will try to address you question in two parts. First the search for any Evo is a game of patience for the most part but arming yourself with as much knowledge about them is equally important. And of course timing and bit luck doesn't hurt. The X is a bit easier to find given that it has been produced in far more numbers than the 8 and 9. I imagine you have already looked on cars.com and autotrader. Be prepared to take a road trip for the right car once you do find one. With that said, do not disregard ones that may appear to be overpriced as it doesn't hurt to speak to dealers over the phone and see if they will budge on pricing. Low ball them... worse thing they can say is no..
Decide on color and since you want a GSR, the good news there are plenty of them out there. The safest approach I recommend is you stick to finding one that is stock to nearly stock and with at least the power train warranty (5 year 60k miles) on it and has not been in any car accidents. You may also find one here on the forum on the cars for sale section. Lots of folks here take good care of their Evos and usually it shows by how clean the car they are selling is. Buying one with bolt-ons isn't a necessarily a bad thing if the owner has taken good care of the car.

The second part about the 2012 with 32k miles... the price is high for that year but I don't know what other options are on the car and history of it. Also, what mods? To me mods don't necessarily add value to the car with the exception of maybe a nice set of wheels or a a major build on the car but I would never buy an Evo that has been extensively modded and I do not recommend it to anyone that is new to these cars... and if it is from a dealer... I definitely DO NOT add any value to the car since that is irrelevant to a dealer. For 29k you can buy a 2014 with low miles (under 15k) easy. Hell you can get a new 2015 GSR for 32-33k.

I bought my 2013 MR with 9k miles, leather, sunroof, Nav for $33k about 2 months ago. Is it the deal of the century? No... I think I did ok as it was the color I wanted, options, and best of all was unmolested. I also found it at a Toyota dealership... first owner had traded it in for a family car... my IX MR I bought back in 2009... same thing... also from a Toyota dealer... and also traded it in by first owner.

I recommend you browse this forum and get to know the car as much as possible and read the threads... some folks here have a vast amount of knowledge. I learned quite a bit since I joined and still learning. Good luck but be patient. If you come across any cars you are interested in, throw up a link and I am sure some folks will chime in and give your their advice.

A brief check list and maybe others can add to this..

Decide on color of car - you have to be sure this. You will hate yourself later if you don't

History of car- How many owners? Mods if any..
Mileage- for obvious reasons..
Carfax does help... at least to answer the above question and car accidents.

If you buy from private owner ask about maintenance history.

If it is from a dealer... don't be afraid to lowball them... who cares about them... you want the best deal for you.

Last thing... don't be afraid to walk away from a car if you think something is not right with it. There will be others.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 06:31 PM

Thank you so much for the reply and yes answered most of my questions. The mods on it were
Ets intake
Ets intercooler
Ams downpipe
Aluminum drive shaft
Gerodisc front and rear
Couple other little things
And a tune by kozmic
Am definitely gonna pass on the car am really not into the exterior color. I did ask about the price no budge . I shall keep searching I waited 4 years so far so a little longer won't hurt.

I will definitely look into the classifieds and yes I am preparing myself to take the drive for the right one.

Thanks again and the search continues.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want to get an X, just get a 2008-2012. Those things are pretty common and go for 18-25k.

Here is as 2013 w/46k for only 25.5k.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5366736422.html

If you're spending 30k on an Evo, I would go for one with little to no mods since dealerships may refuse warranty on Evos with a aftermarket tune.
If its already out of warranty, get one with minimal bolt ons.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 04:00 AM

Thanks for the option am really looking to stay under 30k miles. Price wise under 33k is ideal I seen new ones but just base models so that's a bummer.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks for the option am really looking to stay under 30k miles. Price wise under 33k is ideal I seen new ones but just base models so that's a bummer.
What upgrades from the base model are you really looking for? Most can be purchased reasonably after you buy the car.

Personally, I didn't want navigation or leather, so I bought my base GSR new and just added the OEM HID's which I bought from a forum member.

I'd stay away from used Evo's myself, if you can afford 33k for a new base GSR just buy that and add what options you want later.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
If it was tuned by Kozmic you might be in great shape. I live in Houston and was tuned by them, great shop.

Where is the car located? Could try and test drive it with my wife sometime for you if it wasn't crazy far away. (wouldn't have to meet or anything, could just give you my opinion after driving it)
Old Jan 6, 2016, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Welcome, and best of luck with your search for an Evo! You made a great choice! Keep us updated. You plan on keeping it stock, or modding along the way?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 07:29 AM

comes on a car fourms sayz "imma girl" adds no pictures. =(

and yes most of us are that shallow.

get the color you want...wasteful to get a wrap of whatever later.

look for a good deal on a 15, they have been pretty desperate to sell these, since we are collectively stupid and think since it does not have the Recaros over look it completely. there are good deals there.

please don't plasti dip anything pink.

the EVO is a dick magnet so, I hope your ready for all that.....WELCOME TO EVO ownership!!!

Last edited by jiGGypiGGy; Jan 6, 2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The evo is just as much a dick magnet as it is a ***** magnet...its not.
It is a cop magnet though. And don't listen to anyone about how to make the car your own. Plastidip the whole damn thing in pink if you want. Guys get bitter because of the never ending battle to not seem so ricer as a community.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thank you so much for the reply and yes answered most of my questions. The mods on it were
Ets intake
Ets intercooler
Ams downpipe
Aluminum drive shaft
Gerodisc front and rear
Couple other little things
And a tune by kozmic
Am definitely gonna pass on the car am really not into the exterior color. I did ask about the price no budge . I shall keep searching I waited 4 years so far so a little longer won't hurt.

I will definitely look into the classifieds and yes I am preparing myself to take the drive for the right one.

Thanks again and the search continues.
This sounds like a very tastefully modified evo.

I'm going to be contrary to everyone else on here:

1) The evo has proven to be damn reliable. I've had an X for 6 years now and modified it quite a bit and driven hard on it without any major issues. So if you, like most evo owners, are going to end up modifying it, then buying a vehicle with mods you want already installed can be a great way to save money.

2) Girodisc rotors is a $2k set to upgrade to (with new brake pads), all that piping is at least another $1500 to purchase, and the downpipe is $$$ to install if you don't do it yourself (which is a royal pita). Kozmic is very reputable. Call them and ask them about the car if they know anything about the owner and if it's a good deal. KBB on that car is probably ~26k, you could probably talk the dealership down to ~$27.5k which would make it a great deal for those mods.

3) With the added power and that mileage, I'm going to guess that the car needs a new clutch and might be why the owner is ditching it. This isn't bad though, you can make a choice in clutch that you want and then have a good performing car for the money. (again this is a good negotiating point, new clutch with install will run you at least $2k).

4) An evo is MUCH higher maintenance (modded or not, but more so when modded) than other vehicles. Make sure you budget that in.

5) I would absolutely NOT buy a car if it isn't the color you want/like. You will regret it. Be patient and search for a good deal on one that is a color you like.

In summary. I would not hesitate to buy a modified one. In fact, if I could do it again, I would buy a modified used evo with lower mileage (around 30k or less) to save a lot of money on the beginner mods that everyone does. This car has in addition to all that the girodisc brakes which are a nice upgrade.

You can and should request any dealership selling the vehicle perform a compression and leakdown test and provide you the results before you purchase the car (post the results here and ask if it looks ok). Also always test drive the car. If you have a friend who drives one, have them test drive it (they'll be able to feel anything fishy).

If you don't have a friend nearby, ask on here. If the vehicle were near me I'd go test drive it for you, and I'm sure many others on here would volunteer to help with that.

Anyway, use the forum. Keep asking questions. People on here might know who's car that it was and whether it's a good deal or not. Post the link to the car sale. Nobody is going to "sweep it up" from under you (well, probably not).

Last edited by ddawg1130; Jan 6, 2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the side of picking the right evo - DON'T settle. Youre gonna regret it hard if you settle whether it be for price, color, options, etc. You've waited this long to get an evo so we are all sure you can wait some more until the right one comes along. Yes good deals can come along now and then but make sure you take a step back and think if its BEST deal you can get or if there is another cleaner evo somewhere else. Take into serious consideration what everyone else has said on this thread or on this forum!
Also don't let the stealership try and make you pay for more than what the car is worth! Stay strong and walk away from shady salesmen/managers.

Good luck with your search and make sure you post pictures when you get your evo!

Quick Reply: Trying to get my first evo!