Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AMS Upper Intercooler Piping Question?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question AMS Upper Intercooler Piping Question?

I recently picked up, what seems to be the 'older' style Upper intercooler piping from AMS It looks like what, now comes as a separate silicone elbow, is a welded piece

I was wondering what silicone hose/bends I needed to get this to work on stock turbo/frame setup?

AMS said it looked 'different'

I can remove the hose I put at the end and measure if needed..

Link to what it looks like now, new from AMS

https://www.vividracing.com/ams-uppe...4-p-54367.html

Thanks ahead
Old Jan 10, 2019, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
It looks like it should fit the same way as the new version. I'm guessing they went with silicone for easier install/fitment. I think, in the worst-case scenario, you could contact AMS about getting the silicone piece and then cut and bead-roll the pipe.
I hope you scored a hell of a deal on that piping because it looks ROUGH. Like prototype rough.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by splattj
It looks like it should fit the same way as the new version. I'm guessing they went with silicone for easier install/fitment. I think, in the worst-case scenario, you could contact AMS about getting the silicone piece and then cut and bead-roll the pipe.
I hope you scored a hell of a deal on that piping because it looks ROUGH. Like prototype rough.
It's rough cause it is sand blasted, I own a powder coat company

I wasnt a fan of the 'brown' powder they had on it prior

I literally just found this pic, looks like they had a reducer silcione hose on it....

Old Jan 11, 2019, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_STI_PNW
It's rough cause it is sand blasted, I own a powder coat company

I wasnt a fan of the 'brown' powder they had on it prior

I literally just found this pic, looks like they had a reducer silcione hose on it....
Ah, that makes sense. But even the welds seem a little bit rough for an AMS piece, or maybe I just expect too much! I'm sure they are functional and just look worse in bare metal.

The pipe already necks down a good deal but if you're missing the correct coupler, the OD of the stock turbo outlet is 1.75" so that's what you'll want to reduce down to.