Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

who does oil changes > 3k intervals?

Old Dec 4, 2018, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I usually start paying attention at 3k (buy oil and filter if needed) and then don't actually get around to changing it until 4-5k. If you aren't revving the crap out of it I'm not sure why you would need to change it at 3k, not if you are using a high quality synthetic.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
What about cars more comparable, like the CLA45 AMG? 2.0L turbo, making bigger power. Long intervals for them.
It has nothing to do with the size of the engine, etc. It's the machining precision. Oil can withstand 9k miles before you need to change it, that's what Mobil 1 states on the jug.

The real reason to follow the manual intervals is because every engine is built differently and around 3k miles oil is contaminated with 3% gas from blow by, whic his not the case on BMW and AMG due to tighter seals or whatever else their engine design is the culprit.

So mitsubishi engines get oil dirty. Period. No knowledgeable person would tell you "modern cars" and "syntetic oil" in one phrase.

So stick to schedule.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeweyD
I usually start paying attention at 3k (buy oil and filter if needed) and then don't actually get around to changing it until 4-5k. If you aren't revving the crap out of it I'm not sure why you would need to change it at 3k, not if you are using a high quality synthetic.
Same as above - you can run unicorn tears there but if your oil contains 3% gas it's lubricating properties are severely diminished.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeweyD
That's a perfect interval but I'd swap it out if I was going to HPDE or autox or had let my car sit for more than a month with a lot of temperature fluctuations.