Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Recaro Cross Sportster CS w/ airbag : help with sensors/mounting

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recaro Cross Sportster CS w/ airbag : help with sensors/mounting

Hello,

Just received my Planted brackets + rail + Recaro Cross Sportster CS and before installation i need some help I explain :

1) My car came stock with very basic seats and when I look closer the yellow airbag cable is unplugged (normal) but there is no resistor on it, also, the black cable (weight sensor I assume) is unplugged (see pic).

I assume that after mounting the seats and plugging the yellow cable to the seat (that comes with lateral airbags), i will have to wether activate the airbag with my dealer or with Evoscan if possible ?

As for the weight sensor, is it mean't to ring when belt not secured or is it meant also to activate the airbag or anything else ? I guess it is not needed to activate it..

2) With each seat I received some parts and cables (see pic), but no installation manual, what's their purpose ?

3) Trying to mount the Recaro Slider to the seat, but at a point (see arrow) if I tighten the screw the slider will damage the seat, what to do ? is that normal ?

Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails Recaro Cross Sportster CS w/ airbag : help with sensors/mounting-stock.jpg   Recaro Cross Sportster CS w/ airbag : help with sensors/mounting-recaro.jpg   Recaro Cross Sportster CS w/ airbag : help with sensors/mounting-recaro2.jpg   Recaro Cross Sportster CS w/ airbag : help with sensors/mounting-recaro3.jpg   Recaro Cross Sportster CS w/ airbag : help with sensors/mounting-recaro4.jpg  

Old May 15, 2016, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribing!
Old May 16, 2016, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Ok, so I can't help with the airbag issue. But just remember that only the passenger seat has weight sensors on it, and they are very noticeable due to the little computer/module that is bolted up under the seat for the airbag signals.

If you're car didn't come standard with seat airbags (I thought they all did?) then you wouldn't need the yellow cables plugged in since you don't have seat airbags. If you're car didn't have seat bags to begin with, I would not hook up the ones in your new recaros since it might confuse the car. Someone with more knowledge on the earlier X's will need to chime in and help with that.

Also, that black cable is for the optional seat heaters so you won't need it.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Epyon
Ok, so I can't help with the airbag issue. But just remember that only the passenger seat has weight sensors on it, and they are very noticeable due to the little computer/module that is bolted up under the seat for the airbag signals.

If you're car didn't come standard with seat airbags (I thought they all did?) then you wouldn't need the yellow cables plugged in since you don't have seat airbags. If you're car didn't have seat bags to begin with, I would not hook up the ones in your new recaros since it might confuse the car. Someone with more knowledge on the earlier X's will need to chime in and help with that.

Also, that black cable is for the optional seat heaters so you won't need it.
No weight sensor on driver seat ? you mean passenger seat ?

in fact our local dealer ordered this car for customer that wanted to prepare it for rallys so he asked the car with no spare tire and no airbags in seats.

Last edited by tiesto14; May 16, 2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

The driver sea does not have a weight sensor in it. I said that only the passenger seat has one.
The driver seat airbags are alwasy on, because obvsiously the car can't get in a crash if there isn't a driver in it so why have weight sensors to check?

And idk what the dealer/previous owner told you, but you can't just order a car without the standard airbags in it. I'm sure the dealer could just take the spare tire out of the car for you, but you can't just buy a car from Mitsu and tell them to make one special car without any airbags in the seats. They aren't going to have recaro make a single pair of seats special for one customer.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:29 PM

The seats they put are not Recaro seats, they are "normal" fabric seats, and I can assure you there is no airbag in the seat, only steering and front passenger airbag.
Old May 16, 2016, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Then the dealer reprogrammed the ECU to recognize not having airbags, which means in order for the airbags in your new seats to work you would have to go back to a dealer and get the ECU reprogrammed to the original configuration.

I still don't think a dealer would remove seats with airbags, as that is probably illegal for them to do since the car was certified for safety while having all of it's airbags functional. So I would therefore call into question the reputation of said dealer but that's not the issue.

Swap the seats and have a dealer reprogram them. It should be a complete plug-n-play with airbags, you need to swap the weight sensor on the passenger side or de-activate it somehow, as well as swap out the seat belt buckles from the current seats onto the new ones so the car recognizes the belts are being used.
Old May 16, 2016, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Epyon
Then the dealer reprogrammed the ECU to recognize not having airbags, which means in order for the airbags in your new seats to work you would have to go back to a dealer and get the ECU reprogrammed to the original configuration.

I still don't think a dealer would remove seats with airbags, as that is probably illegal for them to do since the car was certified for safety while having all of it's airbags functional. So I would therefore call into question the reputation of said dealer but that's not the issue.

Swap the seats and have a dealer reprogram them. It should be a complete plug-n-play with airbags, you need to swap the weight sensor on the passenger side or de-activate it somehow, as well as swap out the seat belt buckles from the current seats onto the new ones so the car recognizes the belts are being used.
Could all these things be done with evoscan or ecuflash ? (activate airbags, deactivate passenger weight sensor)
Old May 17, 2016, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

I doubt it, when people have airbag lights come on, the experts here direct them to the dealer. If it was possible to fix with our own software they would've found it already.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:16 PM

Look what i found (see pic attached), I looked seriously under my seats, and 100% there is no weight sensor on the passenger seat, but in the driver seat there is a cable plugged on a metallic part of the seat. What is this ?

Currently, in the ECU the 2 seats airbags are OFF, what to do next :

- Activate the airbags at my dealer’s (so airbag light will come on), then unplug the battery, plug the airbag cables with the new seats, then plug on the battery.
OR
- Install the new seats and plug the airbags (after battery unplugged), then go to my dealer’s to activate them.

2)
Apparently, there are no weight sensor plugged in the passenger seat, and in the driver seat there isthis black cable plugged (see pic attached), what is that ? I will unplug it so put the new seats and on the new seats there is nothing to plug this cable to. So what to do ? There might be an alert light when i’ll unplug it I guess..

3)
With no sensor on the passenger side and this cable unplugged from the driver side, will the passenger airbag and steering airbag still work or there don't depend of the weight sensor ?
Attached Thumbnails Recaro Cross Sportster CS w/ airbag : help with sensors/mounting-evo1.jpg  
Old May 17, 2016, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

1) Just have the dealer activate airbags before mounting the seats, when you unplug the battery and mount the seats. The light will turn off when it recognizes the airbags hooked up.

2) I've never seen them not have weight sensors, but maybe the earlier X's didn't have them. Idk. The plug that you are seeing should be on both seats, it's for the seat belt buckle. You need to unbolt that from your current seat and put it on the new seats so your car recognizes that you are wearing a seat belt. That wire/plug is important.

3) The steering airbag is unaffected by the weight sensors on the passenger side, but I'm unsure whether it would affect the passenger airbag in the dash. That's something you'll have to do research on, you might have to source some weight sensors and ecu module and have them programmed for your car. The dealer can do the re-programming.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:42 PM

Yes better thing to do is to contact them ..

Thanks !
Old May 17, 2016, 01:49 PM

Question : I have no OCM in the passenger seat but passenger airbag seems to work, can I deactivate the OCM on driver side without deactivating the ability of the car to engage steering airbag in case of an accident ?

How to move the sensor from the old seat to the new recaro seat ?
Old May 18, 2016, 06:13 AM

Well, by looking at the pictures, I am not sure it is the weight sensors, by looking closer this black cable is attached to the bottom of the seat but then go to the seatbelt receptor, so I gues it is just meant for the seatbelt indicator light, but how could it be possible there is no weight sensor in this car ?

Could this cable be both as weight sensor and seatbelt sensor ? I don't see any electronic unit.

I'm lost
Attached Thumbnails Recaro Cross Sportster CS w/ airbag : help with sensors/mounting-photo-18-05-2016-12-42-21.jpg   Recaro Cross Sportster CS w/ airbag : help with sensors/mounting-photo-18-05-2016-12-42-15.jpg  
Old May 18, 2016, 07:31 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I wonder if this is car is considered the Evo X RS. Only a few countries got them. They were specifically for rally. No fog lights, basic brakes, basic interior options.

** point being: I believe the factory disabled these connections.

Quick Reply: Recaro Cross Sportster CS w/ airbag : help with sensors/mounting