Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Life After Evos

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life After Evos

I can't believe this day is coming to a reality but since I was legally able to drive I've been a loyal Mitsubishi owner. In that time I've spent 13 of those years in Evos. My first was an Evo VIII and now my Evo X is up for sale. I feel like once you drive an Evo your choices after that are pretty limited. You get so much bang for your buck with an evo! I have been tossing around the idea of getting a Porsche 996 turbo or a newer Porsche Cayman S.

I like the 996 turbo because let's be real... I love me some boost and AWD! The Cayman S lacks power but handles like a dream and the fancy interior sure does feel nice. What have you guys considered to replace your evo at some point? Which Porsche would you pick? Or should I just complete my legacy and get an Evo 9 (just kidding, not happening!) I'd be interested to know everyones opinion. Thanks!
Old May 16, 2016, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I didn't really replace the Evo, just put it in the garage. I dd an Abarth 500 which does great in the city. Much better in traffic than my Evo.

I love the 996 Turbo. One of my favorite cars. But the new Cayman S is one of the best sports cars you can buy. It would be a tough choice but I'd go with the 996 Turbo.
Old May 16, 2016, 11:10 AM

Ats v or cla45

Last edited by SSMCL9; May 16, 2016 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 16, 2016, 12:03 PM

I think my gut is going towards the 996 turbo. My only fear is getting into a car that old. I'm afraid of what problems might surface with that. I guess if I find one that has been well cared for and I properly service the car when needed I should be fine. The Cayman S is a fantastic car but my options for getting more power out of it are not realistic. Some say I won't feel the need to get more power out of it but who knows.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i went from evo to s2000 back to evo.
i dont have deep pockets like you but u should definitely take a test drive in the new cayman S!
i noticed that i love the torque and feel nekkid without it, hence y im back.
i think if i had the money i would do cayman S or look towards a gtr. but thats just me. it'll never happen though lol. billz
Old May 16, 2016, 02:00 PM

I'm gonna be selling my Evo too unfortunately Going to miss the power.
Old May 16, 2016, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I was in my 2004 Evo X for 11 years and then lost her. I had money, their was no other car i wanted. I HATED the look of the X. I really hated the X. Now i own a X because their just was no other car i wanted.. and now i like the X and think it looks better than the 8 and 9 even though i hated it before. lol
The following users liked this post:
akemi27 (May 17, 2016)
Old May 16, 2016, 04:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
I was in my 2004 Evo X for 11 years and then lost her. I had money, their was no other car i wanted. I HATED the look of the X. I really hated the X. Now i own a X because their just was no other car i wanted.. and now i like the X and think it looks better than the 8 and 9 even though i hated it before. lol
Personally I think the X looks the best than the rest of them, looks real aggressive from the front, they nailed it with the headlights and grill and the spoiler in the back is easily the best spoiler (with that height) I've seen on a car, doesn't look tacky or just added on. And a nice diffuser to finish it off. The IX's looked to boy racer for me, somehow the X didn't.
Old May 16, 2016, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I had a 996 turbo from new. You should think long and hard, because it was not reliable and repairs... some were painfully expensive.
Old May 16, 2016, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

I would look into getting an R32 GTR as a weekend car if I were you.
Old May 17, 2016, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting...my path was similar to yours in that I've owned mostly Evos for the past decade or so...The Evo checked off every box as far as what I was looking for in a fun daily...Last couple of years, I did venture off to Subarus and tried the WRX and STi...honestly, those would be better daily driven cars with comfortability, and slightly better mpg...but just wasn't the same...Needless to say, ended up with another Evo this year. Even before getting the Subarus, I looked high and low for something similar performance wise, price range, maintenance costs, etc...Evo was my way of settling...Good luck on your search post Evo
Old May 17, 2016, 08:11 AM

If newer Cayman as in 981, why not go for a 997 turbo. Same amount of money.
Old May 17, 2016, 06:33 PM

I have heard some nightmare stories about expenses on Porsches. My budget is to stay under $60k with tax, title and all that other fun stuff. I really feel like Evos have set the bar really high for me. However, I can't see myself getting into a third evo. I need a change!
Old May 18, 2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by YBUYSTI
I have heard some nightmare stories about expenses on Porsches. My budget is to stay under $60k with tax, title and all that other fun stuff. I really feel like Evos have set the bar really high for me. However, I can't see myself getting into a third evo. I need a change!
They just require normal maintenance. Labor costs are expensive so you'll save a lot if you do work your self. I'm not familiar with 996tt, but the mezger is a very strong and reliable motor. Aside from a ppi, a DME overrev readout is the most important thing to do when buying a manual Porsche. I believe for 996 cars, range 1 is hitting the rev limiter and range 2 is a miss shift (mechanically revving past the limiter)
Old May 19, 2016, 05:46 AM

If it was me I would probably go with the 996 but i have heard nightmares about expenses as well. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Quick Reply: Life After Evos