Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Any tips on how to prevent "car jerks" while shifting?

Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any tips on how to prevent "car jerks" while shifting?

I bought a new evo x a couple days ago and have trouble with the car jerking while changing gears, I can take off smoothly and stop smoothly but when shifting up gears 1-5 it jerks pretty bad. I assume this is bad for the transmission or the clutch? (no clutch smell for a couple days, although it did smell like something was burning the day I got it, maybe cause I drove it off the lot with 0 miles?) I have money set aside just in case. I shift around 3-3.5k, is there anything I'm doing wrong? Should I start to give it gas right before I fully let off the clutch? so that way it's Gas>foot off gas> clutch>shift 2nd gear> some gas before fully let off clutch? Car is completely stock
Old Aug 12, 2016, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You really shouldn't be driving it that radically with the shifting to stop 'jerking'. It's a brand new car, so you will have to break in the clutch, etc. Your shifting point seems good for driving around, so that's not a problem. Overall the transmission is notchy, which can be helped by swapping out the fluid.

Other than that.. it's an Evo.. a crude, rude, rough, ground-hugging machine. Enjoy!
Old Aug 12, 2016, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
It could be you're shifting too slowly and the RPMs drop too much for a smooth re-engagement. The jerking is typically caused by the difference in engine speed and transmission speed after you release the clutch.

Watch the tach next time you drive. If you see the RPM jumping up when you let the clutch out, that's your cause. You shouldn't have to tip in the throttle if you're shifting in a timely manner to be smooth.

If you want to shift super slow; yes you can add a tiny bit of throttle to get the revs back up before you release the clutch but I think faster foot/hand work is a better solution.

On downshifts, blipping the throttle with the clutch out in neutral to rev-match (google double-clutching) can make for super smooth gear changes but, strictly speaking isn't necessary unless you're on the edge of adhesion and need to worry about upsetting the chassis.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by splattj
It could be you're shifting too slowly and the RPMs drop too much for a smooth re-engagement. The jerking is typically caused by the difference in engine speed and transmission speed after you release the clutch.

Watch the tach next time you drive. If you see the RPM jumping up when you let the clutch out, that's your cause. You shouldn't have to tip in the throttle if you're shifting in a timely manner to be smooth.

If you want to shift super slow; yes you can add a tiny bit of throttle to get the revs back up before you release the clutch but I think faster foot/hand work is a better solution.

On downshifts, blipping the throttle with the clutch out in neutral to rev-match (google double-clutching) can make for super smooth gear changes but, strictly speaking isn't necessary unless you're on the edge of adhesion and need to worry about upsetting the chassis.

Good info here ^. I bought mine brand new as well. Transmission is notchy from 1-4. I changed my transmission fluid after 6500km and the only gear that is notchy now is 3. However like stated above, I tried shifting slowly into third and I find it was actually worse doing that. Shifting faster worked. Hand positioning seems to make a difference as well. Again, its an Evo. Evos has notchy, rough, tough transmissions. It is what it is.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by splattj
I shift pretty slow, I took the car out today and I've start giving it gas when I only have like 15% left of the clutch to release when shifting, it's been better. 3rd to 4rth gear is smooth, 1st to 2nd is still a bit rough. The car also bogs down and shakes when I shift down a gear, so you think putting it in neutral, revving a little and then putting it in gear is the solution? and my 2nd question is when I am approaching a red light I usually just leave it in gear (2,3,4,5) and just put it in neutral before I completely stop and the car stalls, that should be ok too right?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:56 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Just learn, drive and enjoy the car. You'll get the hang of it. Don't over think it. Like others have said, these cars are rough in general. Not as forgiving/smooth as say a honda, nissan, toyota etc....
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
learn your car and what it likes and how it likes to be driven. how long have you been driving manual?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 01:03 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Virtual
I shift pretty slow, I took the car out today and I've start giving it gas when I only have like 15% left of the clutch to release when shifting, it's been better. 3rd to 4rth gear is smooth, 1st to 2nd is still a bit rough. The car also bogs down and shakes when I shift down a gear, so you think putting it in neutral, revving a little and then putting it in gear is the solution? and my 2nd question is when I am approaching a red light I usually just leave it in gear (2,3,4,5) and just put it in neutral before I completely stop and the car stalls, that should be ok too right?
No its not ok to let the car stall. you can leave it in gear while decelerating but you need to clutch in before the rpms drop below like 1k or so. If the car is bogging and shaking it means you are lugging the engine, you need to downshift into a lower gear so that the rpms are higher and the engine has a better torque advantage.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 01:07 PM

You will learn with experience how to rev match your shifts so they are smoother. It takes time to learn the car and what RPM's are right for the speed you are going and what gear you are shifting into. So when you shift you want the clutch to have to do as little work as possible to have the engine match the speed the transmission is spinning for the gear you are going into. Notice what RPM your engine is at for a given gear/speed and try and be around that rpm when you are shifting into that gear. This is for smooth shifting, if you are "power shifting" then different rules apply, but those aren't going to be smooth anyway.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
No its not ok to let the car stall. you can leave it in gear while decelerating but you need to clutch in before the rpms drop below like 1k or so. If the car is bogging and shaking it means you are lugging the engine, you need to downshift into a lower gear so that the rpms are higher and the engine has a better torque advantage.
Yea around 1k is when I put it in neutral and let it roll while applying the brakes
Old Aug 12, 2016, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
learn your car and what it likes and how it likes to be driven. how long have you been driving manual?
Not that long, I learned on a corolla 5 months ago, and just got my evo like 4 days ago
Old Aug 12, 2016, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Virtual
Yea around 1k is when I put it in neutral and let it roll while applying the brakes
thats kinda strange, but try doing it at like 1500 then and see if that helps. You don't want the engine stalling though.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's a tough car to drive smooth. You need to make sure you press in the clutch as you take it out of gear, you need to wait for the revs and trans to synchronization in order for you to insert it into gear and be quick/smooth letting it out. If you are into boost some the car is extremely easy to shift but poodle around town is otherwise a difficult task. Having a background in driving a semi helped me a lot when I got my first manual Evolution, my first was an SST
Old Aug 13, 2016, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I assume you know how to reasonably drive a manual trans. Maybe you are running into turbo surge. Read up on it a little and modify your throttle inputs?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 07:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well when i shift i usually take my time and that pisses off everyone behind me lol but thats only on 1-2nd gears.. but usually for me i notice at 3200-3500 thats where all my shifts are smooth too