Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car is being used in a movie and director wants upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car is being used in a movie and director wants upgrades

BACKGROUND INFO
Ok guys, here's the lowdown. We bought a 2013 Evo X MR because we were hired to be in a major Hollywood movie (think scifi Fast and Furious) and use the car. The technician that checked the car out was colluding with the dealership we bought it from, and he was....less than honest. New z-rated tires, Brembo brake pads and rotors, completely replaced interior, and an EBC to replace the MBC later....there's not a lot left to our budget, and we are facing a very-close deadline.
The car needs to be around 400hp, and currently it is low 300s with a tune. (the tuner said 345hp/355tq, but every other place it town says that is way high) The car did come with a rather impressive exhaust and an open-air intake when we bought it, but it has a nasty problem of running REALLY hot.

GOALS
To run 400-450hp without exploding or overheating. We won't be racing it on the track, but it will be getting driven in the movie.

PLAN
Replace Fuel Injectors with FIC 1100s and the OEM pump with a Walbro 255 (I was originally wanting to just get the MAP Fuel Upgrade Kit, but hoping to just do injectors and tank for budget reasons.)
3" ETS Intercooler only (I'm also looking at the MAP 3.5" Intercooler, how does that compare?
Dodson SST Sump (This is the biggest part of the upgrade, but I'm told it is what is going to make my clutch from just slipping all over. It already is a bit.)
MAP AFPR AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator Kit because I'm getting the fuel injectors
Titanium Exhaust Wrap tocut down on ambient heat

Is there any critically-important thing I'm missing?
I see all these cool cars being sponsored, man...I need to get in on that
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
pump, injectors, and you'll already be over 400whp if tuner knows what he's doing.
The following users liked this post:
Valerie Strong (Oct 17, 2016)
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:52 PM

The rest is to reduce heat, especially since it's already running really hot and we're on stock clutch. The tuner I went to before here in Albuquerque didn't do a good job, and I've since been told to avoid them cause they have a history of blowing up engines. The one we're going to be going to is the only guy in the state that knows his stuff about MRs.
If I'm at 400hp with stock clutch, rods, etc, aren't I going to have problems?

Last edited by Valerie Strong; Oct 17, 2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Valerie Strong

PLAN
Replace Fuel Injectors with FIC 1100s
3" ETS Intercooler only (I'm also looking at the MAP 3.5" Intercooler, how does that compare?
Dodson SST Sump (This is the biggest part of the upgrade, but I'm told it is what is going to make my clutch from just slipping all over. It already is a bit.)
Replace that 255 with this https://www.maperformance.com/produc...pump-f90000267

There is not much difference between 3 and 3.5" intercoolers.

What you have plus http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/E...-Pipe-Kit.html
plus
https://www.amsperformance.com/cart/...turbo-kit.html
plus
E85 and you will overshoot your power goals

Also saying the car runs hot is kind of weird. Most 4 cylinder turbos run hot. Have you been logging the temps?

Alternatively, if you just get injectors, fuel pump, run E85 and UICP you might find the Evo to be fast enough.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:18 PM

Yeah...it's running really hot, like "still hot after being parked for an hour" hot. We're getting out COBB tuner in the mail in two days, so hopefully I can update the OP with some hard numbers then.
The Walbro 255 says it can achieve 500hp in some applications, so I'd think 400-450hp should be no problem.

This is so much more complex than when I used to race wheelchairs. I love it
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
That's actually normal for Evo Xs. It takes a long time to cool down. Try popping the hood open.

It's because of the engine design. The turbo is located in the rear of the engine bay which forms a pocket of hot air. There is not enough ventilation in that area for the hot air to escape therefore they run hot.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:56 PM

It sounds like an intercooler is really needed to help keep the engine from overheating. The evo X engine should be able to handle the stress of 450hp without mechanical reinforcement though right?
Would getting a fog light delete to increase air flow help?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
You need to be very careful with your torque in the MR as going over 350 can make very expensive things go boom. The transmission in the MR is around 12k to replace so choose your tuner carefully. Getting an Accessport might end up being a waste of money as you can't run any tune they provide for free that will support the level of modifications you may already have / plan on adding.

You should get in touch with a shop like kozmic motorsports or 5150 in CA to see what they would recommend for an e-tune and parts based on your platform. There are HORROR stories about people that improperly modified an EVO, nevermind incorrectly modified an EVO MR. These are not Mustangs, they can make you pay from your wallet very quickly with a mistake.

So choose a tuner first off, then work with them to achieve your goals. Anything else especially if you are new to the platform and under a time crunch will more than likely end up biting you in the ***...

Good luck!
Old Oct 18, 2016, 05:05 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
That's actually normal for Evo Xs. It takes a long time to cool down. Try popping the hood open.
​​​This. Or is the car actually overheating?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by .M.
​​​This. Or is the car actually overheating?
Ditto. Running hot is not unusual but overheating is more of a concern.

Is the rad (and fan) both in good working order? Checked that the fan is kicking on? Bled the cooling system for air? Coolant levels ok?

Check the basic maintenance items before throwing good money after bad.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:58 AM

We took it to Mitsubishi for it's regular service, and everything was fine-ish. Then we took it to another shop to get new rotors put on, and we found them oohing and aahing under the hood and fidgeting with stuff. Ever since, it's been running very very hot. We're hoping the didn't turn the boost up thinking "ooh, what's this?"
I'll ask my friend (car partner) to check those maintenance things. I use a wheelchair and can't check myself.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
You can't just turn up the boost with a shifting spanner. You can only impact that with direct reprogramming of the ECU.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Maybe you guys should just use cgi to make it look faster! Would be way cheaper!
Old Oct 18, 2016, 03:20 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Where does the needle sit on the temp gauge when fully warmed up?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Maybe you guys should just use cgi to make it look faster! Would be way cheaper!

Never really thought the cars were REALLY modded anyways

zeRep

Quick Reply: Car is being used in a movie and director wants upgrades