Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Clutch or tune

Old Mar 22, 2017, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch or tune

Hey guys, here again my evo x is acting a bit weird its showing symptoms of the clutch going out 3rd- 5th it acts like its slipping either in down shift or trying to catch speed but in not sure, it grabs like new at the very top ive put it in fifth and popped the clutch and it dies and didnt bog so im unsure if its either its presure plate, fork, or just the clutch. Its been tuned at RRE 330whp. my friend says i might need a retune. What do you guys think? Car only has 86xxx miles i don't rape it and its my daily.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Clutch
Old Mar 23, 2017, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Is that 86k on the factory clutch? Regardless thats clutch slipping symptoms, but pretty good life on a factory clutch.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
It's simple to test. Get on the highway, say 50-55MPH, shift to 4th, and put your foot through the radiator. If the car comes on boost hard, and starts to pull and you can feel it as you see the RPM's climb you should have some more life in it. If it comes on boost, RPM's jump up almost as if it's a CVT or simply revving in neutral for a second before it grabs and starts to physically pull, it's on it's way out.

The key is to do it in a high gear at lower RPM so you have the torque spike shocking the clutch. I don't recommend doing this sub 3500RPM or in 5th gear for the sake of the rods. Mine was a dead giveaway of the clutch slipping when I was doing this in 4th. And it gets exponentially worse with time, to the point it would slip if I tried it in second gear too. Only time it would hold is if I started the pull in first gear, it would hold through the gears.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
You know when you are tightening down a bolt and you are just about done - and all of a sudden the resistance goes away? You know you snapped it but you pretend it didn't happen because it sucks.

I think slipping clutches are like that.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 09:00 PM

its the clutch, i just had mine done, do the same as mentioned above, but i would use 5th to put the clutch under more load. start at 2500rpm and floor it, it will slip fairly quickly if its the clutch and you have 330whp. for you i hope its not. i just spent 2k doing it.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldnt gun it in 5th from 2500 rpm. Asking for trouble.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Yeah... these aren't sturdy solid 6 bolt 4G63 rods you have in your GVR4. These are wet pool noodles with a piston on one end and a crank on the other, hammer down from 2500rpm is a bad idea in anything but the first couple gears. If it's evident enough like he said in 3rd he really doesn't need to go down to 2500rpm in 5th to see if its slipping.

And 2k, holy.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by six40
It's simple to test. Get on the highway, say 50-55MPH, shift to 4th, and put your foot through the radiator. If the car comes on boost hard, and starts to pull and you can feel it as you see the RPM's climb you should have some more life in it. If it comes on boost, RPM's jump up almost as if it's a CVT or simply revving in neutral for a second before it grabs and starts to physically pull, it's on it's way out.

The key is to do it in a high gear at lower RPM so you have the torque spike shocking the clutch. I don't recommend doing this sub 3500RPM or in 5th gear for the sake of the rods. Mine was a dead giveaway of the clutch slipping when I was doing this in 4th. And it gets exponentially worse with time, to the point it would slip if I tried it in second gear too. Only time it would hold is if I started the pull in first gear, it would hold through the gears.
If you do this and the clutch slips at all, you're going to glaze it so badly that if it wasn't bad before, it will be now.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 09:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
I wouldnt gun it in 5th from 2500 rpm. Asking for trouble.
Originally Posted by six40
Yeah... these aren't sturdy solid 6 bolt 4G63 rods you have in your GVR4. These are wet pool noodles with a piston on one end and a crank on the other, hammer down from 2500rpm is a bad idea in anything but the first couple gears. If it's evident enough like he said in 3rd he really doesn't need to go down to 2500rpm in 5th to see if its slipping.

And 2k, holy.
Neither of you know what you're talking about.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:10 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
bring to rre to have them check for you so you don't have to tow it there if you try one of those suggestions above.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 03:33 AM

Thanks guys yeah im not trying to gun it low rpms in high gears @@ but thank you. What i meant was when i would be in 3rd 4th or 5th the acceleration would slip in the rpms. If i were try to push the pedal "through the radiator" gain speed before redline it would slip. im to far for RRE I have to go english racing im in WA and in that part to check with them and redo the tune i need the name of the 2nd owner of the car who had all the work done to it all i know is his first name was David and i need his last name and grey evo x on work emotions there was a socalevos sticker on it im the 4th owner 3rd owner Cody couldnt find any of the old papar work with Davids full name.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 03:48 AM

What kind of clutch should i get I've been looking at clutchmaster single disk and twin, competition stage two spring kit(i hear closest to stock feel but more hp capable) and twin, or the exeddy twin disk? i havent found any good full good reviews , they go back and fourth, and with all the twin disk its mainly the chatter in neutral i have full bolt on with the tune ive been told i just want it to handle 4ishmax i'm in no possition to do full build right know i just want durability. Ignore bac
Old Mar 27, 2017, 03:52 AM

Clutch

Originally Posted by Turbophein
its the clutch, i just had mine done, do the same as mentioned above, but i would use 5th to put the clutch under more load. start at 2500rpm and floor it, it will slip fairly quickly if its the clutch and you have 330whp. for you i hope its not. i just spent 2k doing it.
Turbophein,

Hey what kind of clutch did you go with? How much can it hold? Anything diffrent? I couldnt get a clear answer when i would look it up in the forums.

thanks Christian
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Neither of you know what you're talking about.
Ok

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch or tune