Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Lightest front mount intercooler and piping?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
Yah, did you use a long screw driver to adjust them? (that was only to point at how much it adds weight to the front). My problem is our car already understeers, adding weight to the front will only make that worse.

Do we know it is a 15lb difference between factory and a 3.5" ETS FMIC?

I used a little 1/4" flex shaft and socket to pull mine around manually. Seemed easier than fighting with a screwdriver - had to pop the overflow out of the way real quick.

Until someone takes theirs off to weigh it we won't. One thing that I do know for a fact is that the stock IC weighs 10lb and according to FedEx my Sheepey weighed 28 to ship which theoretically adds ~18lb to the front - I don't fight any noticeable understeer during weekends at CMS, VIR, or AMP.

Which rear sway bar are you using and how stiff do you have the settings? Weight savings in the right place is important, but for now you might be barking up the wrong tree. Just my thoughts.

-asher
Old Apr 26, 2017, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
The stock Evolution X intercooler is sufficient for modest power levels and/or non-continuous (street) power demands.

Question: cast end tanks are usually heavier aren't they? Would there be any weight saving by cutting off the end tanks off a stock Evo X intercooler and using a welded aluminum plate end tanks? Obviously expensive to have someone else do it but if you can weld maybe there are some weight savings there?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 01:03 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
15# difference in insane. To your point that is also hanging off the front that literally one of the worst places for the extra weight.

As I said prior what youre after is a tube and fin core vs bar and plate. All the intercoolers are made from aluminum. Like I said Im not well versed on what's available for the X's but Im after the same thing on my car. ARC is hard to find especially without breaking the bank. HKS seems available but also very expensive. Blitz makes them for my car and theyre pretty affordable but Im not sure if theyre available for yours. I might pull the trigger on the Plazmaman unit but Im also doing my due diligence to see if I can find something else that'll fit the bill.
I got it now on the design. I didn't realize they were all aluminum. My ETS 3.5 was so heavy I didn't even think about it. But looking at the pics, they are definitely aluminum welds.

Blitz does make them for the X, and I think nengun has them on sale right now.

Originally Posted by static_set
Which rear sway bar are you using and how stiff do you have the settings? Weight savings in the right place is important, but for now you might be barking up the wrong tree. Just my thoughts.

-asher
I may be barking up the wrong tree, but not sure I fully buy adding weight to an already heavy car for a few hp. I've gotten rid of understeer before, but don't see a reason to add to it (though it may be minimal). The only real way to tell a difference is to run a factory FMIC and an aftermarket one back to back and see if there is a handling difference.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I may be barking up the wrong tree, but not sure I fully buy adding weight to an already heavy car for a few hp. I've gotten rid of understeer before, but don't see a reason to add to it (though it may be minimal). The only real way to tell a difference is to run a factory FMIC and an aftermarket one back to back and see if there is a handling difference.

True - seems like the stock intercooler will be hard to beat when it comes to weight though. 9.5-10lb intercooler that can support ~350whp is a feather.

Here's a little tidbit I pulled from the Evo X forums just for some info on ETS:

"It's hard to determine an intercooler design based on weight. Our intercooler I bet weighs in heavier on the core it self and lighter on the end tanks vs our competitors. Our competitors use cast end tanks where we hand fab and triangulate the end tanks. The core we use is very dense.

The 3.0" weighs in at 20lbs
The 3.5" weighs in at 22lbs
The 4.0" weighs in at 24lbs

Hope this helps!

ETS Michael"

-asher
The following users liked this post:
migs647 (Apr 27, 2017)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by static_set
True - seems like the stock intercooler will be hard to beat when it comes to weight though. 9.5-10lb intercooler that can support ~350whp is a feather.

Here's a little tidbit I pulled from the Evo X forums just for some info on ETS:

"It's hard to determine an intercooler design based on weight. Our intercooler I bet weighs in heavier on the core it self and lighter on the end tanks vs our competitors. Our competitors use cast end tanks where we hand fab and triangulate the end tanks. The core we use is very dense.

The 3.0" weighs in at 20lbs
The 3.5" weighs in at 22lbs
The 4.0" weighs in at 24lbs

Hope this helps!

ETS Michael"

-asher

the stock one is good to 350 where the EST 3" is good to 700. If i ever get to that part in my build I don't think im going to worry about 10lbs.... however that's just me!

at the end of the day i would go with ETS...
AMS is also great and they are 5 mins from my house. However its all or nothing with them... meaning if its not all AMS then they wont even look at it or touch it. its all your wallet too!
AEM's is just like AMS's FMCI
Depo seems to be your best bet if you are looking for LB savings over power limits....
Sheepie is also a good rought
Old Apr 28, 2017, 04:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
if you wanna stay light weight you need a tube and fin intercooler instead of the bar and plate most aftermarket intercooler are. I believe Greddy and Cosworth are both tube and fin. no idea on availability or price though.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 08:12 PM
EvoM Community Team

Pretty sure the Greddy is a 4" cooler, can't seem to find weight specs though.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I think you should take the crash bar out of the front end. That would make up for the weight saving.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 09:27 AM
EvoM Community Team

^-- I already went to the JDM crash beam. That dropped a ton of weight. The JDM is feather light.

... smart ***
Old Apr 30, 2017, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
^-- I already went to the JDM crash beam. That dropped a ton of weight. The JDM is feather light.

... smart ***
I'm thinking about getting rid of the front bumper section all together. Maybe 15" wheels too.