Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Lightest front mount intercooler and piping?

Old Apr 24, 2017, 08:21 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Lightest front mount intercooler and piping?

Hey all, I'm looking for dropping weight on my car. It is important to me not to replace parts that are heavier. Some really well known manufacturers do an amazing job getting more performance out of their parts, but their parts are also a lot heavier than factory OEM parts, namely FMICs are pretty heavy in comparison to our aluminum intercoolers.

Looking for the lightest FMIC out there while still gaining some volume and surface area. Any specs out there? Experiences with quality?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
Hey all, I'm looking for dropping weight on my car. It is important to me not to replace parts that are heavier. Some really well known manufacturers do an amazing job getting more performance out of their parts, but their parts are also a lot heavier than factory OEM parts, namely FMICs are pretty heavy in comparison to our aluminum intercoolers.

Looking for the lightest FMIC out there while still gaining some volume and surface area. Any specs out there? Experiences with quality?
Pretty light with a high power rating.

https://plazmaman.com/shop_itemdetai...id=115&cate=80
The following users liked this post:
migs647 (Apr 25, 2017)
Old Apr 25, 2017, 01:57 PM
EvoM Community Team

Haven't heard of this company... any details?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Man that's a **** ton to pay for a tiny weight saving. Check out Kaizen tuning's intercooler. Looks like a nice quality piece almost half the cost.

http://store.kaizentuning.com/sakura...i-2208430.aspx
Old Apr 25, 2017, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I've been in discussion with Plazmaman regarding an intercooler for the same reason. This would be for my CT9A, so while not looking at the same units however the same concept holds true in that what you're looking to find is a tube and fin core.

Keep in mind that those prices are Australian dollars so its not actually that expensive but still pricey when it comes to an intercooler. I dont have first hand experience but from what I've read they make good quality products and are very active in the WTA scene.

Curious what else you find. It would be nice if we could convince a stateside company to build something that is lighter but seems the ROI isnt in it for them as most folks over here only seem to care about "how much hp the part will make, bro?"

I guess if we keep making a big stink perhaps a vendor will see an opportunity and step up to the plate!? Wishful thinking...
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:35 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Man that's a **** ton to pay for a tiny weight saving. Check out Kaizen tuning's intercooler. Looks like a nice quality piece almost half the cost.

http://store.kaizentuning.com/sakura...i-2208430.aspx
Not sure what that offers in terms of weight savings since they don't mention it?

Testing intercoolers is not easy. It requires a wind tunnel or actual driving to test how they cool and compare.

I know that ARC and HKS both make aluminum cores. Considering going HKS. Wish I knew the actual weight differences.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
For what it's worth I know that Sheepey uses aluminum endtanks and an aluminum core designed, tested, built, and raced by CSF.

I use a Sheepey 4" and a quick look back at the tracking info from FedEx says the entire package weighed 12.6kg... What does the stock one weigh... 4.5kg or something like that right?

-asher
Old Apr 26, 2017, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey guys, I just wanted to give my $.2 here.... Take it of leave it, all up to you!

So going for weight savings on your IC will end up hurting you in the long run and here is why.... The heavier the IC is, the more mass it has. The more mass the IC has, the better it will cool the air passing through it. an object with lager mass will keep cooler longer than an object with less mass when cooled the same way over the same time. The exception to this is an Air to water IC.....

Also in the long run, it will make more sense to strap an ETS or like FMIC to the car for the extra LBs and make hp gainz by keep the air cooled more efficiently.....

Like i said, just my thoughts for you all here on this topic.....
Cflo23 (Apr 26, 2017)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOX84
Hey guys, I just wanted to give my $.2 here.... Take it of leave it, all up to you!

So going for weight savings on your IC will end up hurting you in the long run and here is why.... The heavier the IC is, the more mass it has. The more mass the IC has, the better it will cool the air passing through it. an object with lager mass will keep cooler longer than an object with less mass when cooled the same way over the same time. The exception to this is an Air to water IC.....

Also in the long run, it will make more sense to strap an ETS or like FMIC to the car for the extra LBs and make hp gainz by keep the air cooled more efficiently.....

Like i said, just my thoughts for you all here on this topic.....
Very very valid points.
EVOX84 (Apr 27, 2017)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 08:49 AM
EvoM Community Team

I have had two ETS intercoolers, and while they are absolutely beautiful and get performance, they add WAY too much weight in the front of the car for me. It is enough that my headlights at max setting aren't high enough. It is enough that I question the potential handling characteristics of the car being affected.

"Mass", are you talking surface area or density + surface area? If only talking surface area I think it warrants talking about other materials such as aluminum or titanium.

It is also possible to get intercooler sprayers from japan for under $300 if that serious. I had this on my Evo VIII, helped during long hot days.

Attached Thumbnails Lightest front mount intercooler and piping?-image_from_db.php.jpeg  
Cflo23 (Apr 26, 2017)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ I saw this on japanparts as well.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
I have had two ETS intercoolers, and while they are absolutely beautiful and get performance, they add WAY too much weight in the front of the car for me. It is enough that my headlights at max setting aren't high enough. It is enough that I question the potential handling characteristics of the car being affected.

"Mass", are you talking surface area or density + surface area? If only talking surface area I think it warrants talking about other materials such as aluminum or titanium.

It is also possible to get intercooler sprayers from japan for under $300 if that serious. I had this on my Evo VIII, helped during long hot days.

First of all - thank you for bringing up the intercooler sprayer diagrams. I've been looking all over for that drama. thank you

Secondly, I also had the headlight problem after I lowered mine - turns out you are able to adjust the headlights manually and I used it to sort of "reset" the center position (3) on the height switch. Just seems like if an extra fifteen lbs on the car forward of the front axles affects your lights then there's another issue in play.

I believe the previous poster was talking about mass density + surface area which makes sense.

-asher
EVOX84 (Apr 27, 2017)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:01 AM
EvoM Community Team

Yah, did you use a long screw driver to adjust them? (that was only to point at how much it adds weight to the front). My problem is our car already understeers, adding weight to the front will only make that worse.

Do we know it is a 15lb difference between factory and a 3.5" ETS FMIC?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sprayer doesn't look that great.

I also found this from MRT (regarding water spray benefits):

https://www.mrtperformance.com.au/wa...mission-models
migs647 (Apr 26, 2017)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
15# difference in insane. To your point that is also hanging off the front that literally one of the worst places for the extra weight.

As I said prior what youre after is a tube and fin core vs bar and plate. All the intercoolers are made from aluminum. Like I said Im not well versed on what's available for the X's but Im after the same thing on my car. ARC is hard to find especially without breaking the bank. HKS seems available but also very expensive. Blitz makes them for my car and theyre pretty affordable but Im not sure if theyre available for yours. I might pull the trigger on the Plazmaman unit but Im also doing my due diligence to see if I can find something else that'll fit the bill.
migs647 (Apr 26, 2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lightest front mount intercooler and piping?