Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

In the market for a Subaru STI or Mitsubishi EVO.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Angel9163vo
I'm in the same boat looking to what should I get. currently I have a 2015 subaru wrx it's great daily driver but for power is meh I thought of getting the STI but were I live everyone has one I'm leaning towards the 2014 Evo GSR something different thought of getting the 2015 Evo but no recaros idk how difficult would it be to change just the drivers seat
Get a 14 you will have a hard time finding a seat especially just one.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd say If you're shopping new for new, and even if you aren't, test drive both. Bring a mechanic friend with you.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I bought my Evo when I was still a bachelor with full intention of building it for 600+ HP.

Now that I'm married and bought a house, those dreams are long gone and it's my daily now.

Do I wish it had a 6th gear? sure. Is it absolutely necessary? nope.

Do I wish I bought a STi over the Evo? Hells to the no.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bought a home and still have your evo. That's all you need
Old Sep 7, 2017, 07:31 AM

Evo - better looks, handling, engine, fewer of them on the road

STI - more functional trunk
Old Sep 9, 2017, 08:52 AM

I have owned a 08 Subaru sti. I have owned a 2012 gsr and a 08 gsr also! The STI i personally believe is a better car for daily driving. It definitely had a lot more low end power and better for traffic and ect, but an STI is like 15k to make 400whp correctly and they blow up. The EVO looks way better, it is just as efficient, it may have a tad bit more lag, but the power band is incredible and just keeps pulling and pulling.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Funny enough what you are referring to is "jerk" in physics. That is the rate of change of acceleration. Acceleration can be meaures in m/s^2 and jerk is m/s^3. If you were looking at a torque plot, the height for the curve would determine acceleration. How quickly the curve slopes upward would represent the jerk.

I think large increases in rates of acceleration definitely give the impression of speed, even if ultimately you don't actually accelerate that quickly. Even an electric golf cart feels quick for a split second lol.

The Evo and STi both display this behavior because compared to most modern cars they have a large amount of turbo lag. This gives you the sudden woosh feeling that wears off pretty quickly.

Your brain adjusts pretty quickly to constant acceleration. That's why I think linear power band cars can feel underwhelming in comparison.

As to which is better at producing jerk I'm not 100% sure. My guess is the STi but look at some stock torque plots and see who's graph has the larger sudden increase in torque.

Shifting to get the RPMs just below spool up will probably produce the woosh sensation you are after. Down shifting to 5,000rpms in second gear doesn't seem as fast because you are missing out on that spoolup sensation.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
stis always felt underwhelming to me acceleration-wise, which tells me by butt-dyno that evos probably have more jerk, though i guess i could be wrong
Old Sep 26, 2017, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had both and prefer the Evo
Old Sep 27, 2017, 05:35 PM

I owned both and let me tell you, when you mod an STI reliability goes out the window, pistons are like glass and tend to go out even on stock tunes. Got an evo with 140k miles and its beat on alot still runs strong.
Not only that aftermarket parts are rediculously expensive for an STI compared to an evo.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by six40
My friend with a RHD Evo 1 was looking for a daily, I let him drive my X... loved it, but wanted something more forgiving so he got himself a 2013 STi (which he's got all sorts of stupid issues with )

Update:

Same dude I mentioned, just grenaded his stock EJ257 in his mild bolt on STi with maybe 70k miles. We're talking full exhaust and an intake.

Last edited by six40; Sep 28, 2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by eddieinotayev
Before you tell me to read other forms about this topic please read this form about before you Pre-judge it.

I Previously owned a 2013 f30 335i with JB4, intake, down pipe about 350-360 whp 400 wtq. Loved the car. Reason i sold it is because it was a luxury car it was fast but it certainly didn't feel fast. It got old so i sold it.

Side Note i have only driven an sti with cobb stage 2 and a stock version never driven the Evo.

I have done research on both these cars, So i wont be asking what handles better, which one is faster, which looks better, which sounds better, which has better tune capability, etc... i already know all of this.

Before i give you my questions, i would prefer the people to answer my question that have driven both of these cars.

For me its all about the butt dyno not the actual dyno itself if you know what im talking about. GTI with apr stage 2 have great dyno numbers, infiniti , the golf r, bmw 335i, just lots of cars with great dyno numbers but when you sit and drive it the butt dyno does not feel the same.

When i drove my buddies sti (stock) it felt fast i was like going 40 and it felt like i went up to 100 after going through 2 gears. i love how the whole car jerks every time you shift a gear. it was just a blast.

And i know what you thinking, Just get a mustang blah blah blah. I have my reasons why i cant have a 2 door coupe thats rwd.

I hear alot of good things about the evo and most of the time it is better than the sti.
So really my question is if both were stock which would feel more static and have that nice jerk feel everytime you switch gears?

Would also like to hear any other cars that have the same feel, any other car recommendations, very serious in buying a car pretty soon. Like The ford Focus RS for example, never driven it has anyone have?

Sorry it took so long to ask my question, just wanted to make sure everyone understood my situation.

Would really appreciate anyone reply's or feedback, thank you very much.

I have driven both in stock trim and with exhaust/ testpipe and loved both just about equally only to an extent. The subie has been aroundddddd for a long while and its a tried and true car but it hasnt really changed much throughout the years. I am pretty sure some parts from an 01 and a 16 are pretty interchangeable. That can be both good and bad. I mean aftermarket support is phenomenal there is a ton of parts.

Then you come to an evo. 4G63 up until the 4B11T in the x. They changed things up and when they did in my opinion the X Turned out to be a wonderful change. Yes curb weight is 3500 lbs give or take, and the subie makes a bit more power but it will not walk away from an x stock to stock. Either will and RS. There are peeps who dislike the 5 speed but I personally love the way the car is just in range of boost. Yes of course there is some lag but its not that much and thats the best part of it. The car just feels raw... its the type of feedback that a GTR should have and give the driver. Its a true drivers car and the traction control is not too intrusive even if left on. Turning into turns feels precise, as if the car is edging you to give it more in a turn. It almost begs you to keep the throttle pinned and to drive harder. My butt dyno loves the car and thats why I bought it.

I have owned mine for about 1.5 months now and yes its got a “stiff” ride but first of all its not a luxury car, amost all the youtube tests have used the mr with the 6spd as a comparison, in that case it isnt a very good comparison and the drivers opinions are usually biased or paid for. The car really just feels planted more than anything else. Even though it may have a “stiff” suspension its just smooth. ONLY downfall is its a bit noisy. If you purchase dont get a 15 the recaros were yanked out and those seats are comfortable. Something you wont get in a STI LOL.

It does tend to run out of gears a bit quickly if you on the throttle but that is what makes it fun.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:12 AM

I own Evo X GSR. I drove my buddy's STI stick shift once. To be honest it "felt" lot similar to my evo power wise, but I felt evo just has that kick that i couldn't feel in STI. Again i only drove STI once so not sure i can help much. Also on different topic he had issues with overheating on track.