Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What can you upgrade safely without a tune?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What can you upgrade safely without a tune?

Hello Evo X comrades. Based on my forum research, it seems just about everything nowadays requires a custom tune. I live in rural Vermont and the closest (good) tuner is 4 hours away, so i don't want to make the trip until i have everything else installed and ready to rock--this could be a year or more. What performance mods can i SAFELY install without a tune? I don't want to install anything that might jeopardize the life of the vehicle in any way, especially as my warranty just expired. It seems only a catback and maybe intake? Can i install a boost controller? Anything else? I know this topic is probably exhausted, but any help is appreciated!
Old May 2, 2018, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Catback and intake should be fine.

Don't do a test pipe or even a boost controller without tuning it. If you really want a tune, you can do an etune with many of the tuners across the country. you will have to do your own logging to send them data but it can be done.
Old May 2, 2018, 08:30 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
you can always ditch weight out of the car. So maybe a light weight battery setup. You can do brake lines, brake pads, short throw shifter, wheels/tires, suspension upgrades. You could upgrade the stereo. I get the feeling you where thinking more along the lines of HP upgrades, but there are a ton of other things you could upgrade on the car.
Old May 3, 2018, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Old May 4, 2018, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Save up the mods, install them altogether and then get the tune. Intake, test pipe, and EBC then the tune.
Old May 5, 2018, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I was in VT before moving out west - and it is a drive to a good tuner. I went to Ivey in NJ, but installed most of the parts myself and was very careful to stay out of boost on the drive down. The EBCS I installed after I got there - definitely wouldn't recommend driving very far on the stock tune with EBCS installed.

It is worth the drive to get a good tune - makes a big difference.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
With just CB exhaust.. can you add just an intake/filter without needing a tune?
Old May 6, 2018, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are you worried about a tune? Seriously even a completely stock evo x, a tune gets rid of the falling on it face effect after 5k rpm. Forget the warranty.
Old May 8, 2018, 04:37 PM

Probably because of the drive, as he stated. I know the closest shop to me is 4 hours away also, and it really is a killer for the excitement. It really kills the want to modify. If I install all these things, I then have to risk a four hour drive to get it running safely and properly? It feels like a huge risk. Wonder if they wouldn't mind me installing the stuff in their parking lot.
Old May 8, 2018, 04:39 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
there are e-tuners who can work with you remotely to tune your car.
Old May 8, 2018, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Honestly you could probably install a lot on the car if your plan was to drive it straight to get tuned. Especially if you are just talking bolt ons. Think about what it takes to damage or destroy an engine. A massive torque spike that bends a rod. Tons of heat from running lean and melting the piston at high rpm WOT. Over revving the motor and smacking the piston into the valves. You just aren't going to create these conditions at idle or gentle cruising speeds. I wouldn't be that scared of sticking an intake and full exhaust on and driving it to the shop. Heck even a bigger turbo. Now I would probably wait to do fuel systems stuff until I was there so the car doesn't drive like complete crap. A 3port EBCS could also be installed in the parking lot.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Mbrovt,

Another option for ya. Select your tuner first. This means you email them about what you want your car to become. They will offer you their experience and advice on a few performance packages. Again, I’ll use English Racing(Aaron from ER tuned my Evo) and CBRD as an example. You can buy the parts from them, they install and tune and dyno tune your car. You could buy the parts and ship it to their garage. Call tuner first to arrange obviously. In both cases, all you have to do is drive your car to the tuner and pay them. Sit back, chill and watch them work their magic.
Old May 22, 2018, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by donny_utah
Mbrovt,

Another option for ya. Select your tuner first. This means you email them about what you want your car to become. They will offer you their experience and advice on a few performance packages. Again, I’ll use English Racing(Aaron from ER tuned my Evo) and CBRD as an example. You can buy the parts from them, they install and tune and dyno tune your car. You could buy the parts and ship it to their garage. Call tuner first to arrange obviously. In both cases, all you have to do is drive your car to the tuner and pay them. Sit back, chill and watch them work their magic.
I too would recommend Aaron for Evo X tuning.