Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

LED Bulbs and Load Resistors

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Bulbs and Load Resistors

I bought and installed these LED daytime running lights last night. I didn't install load resistors, and no issues yet, but now I'm thinking about upgrading other bulbs to LEDs.

I've been trying to research when and where load resistors are needed, but can't find a concise answer. Is there a reason the load resistors aren't being built into the bulb itself, why is it a separate component?
Old May 16, 2018, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dis3as3d
I bought and installed these LED daytime running lights last night. I didn't install load resistors, and no issues yet, but now I'm thinking about upgrading other bulbs to LEDs.

I've been trying to research when and where load resistors are needed, but can't find a concise answer. Is there a reason the load resistors aren't being built into the bulb itself, why is it a separate component?

The short answer is they are too big and get too hot to be an all in one system like that.

The simple answer to the load resistors is as follows..... if you get flickering, a hyper flash on turn lights or bulb out warnings/errors then add them in line with the bulb. LEDs don't pull nearly as much power as regular bulbs do so some times you get a "no response" issue and the computer freaks.....

I had to add them to my reverse lights, but not my DRL or any of the interior lights....
Old May 19, 2018, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to add load resistors to my front turn signals due to hyper flashing.