Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Long Term Storage Multiple CEL Codes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Term Storage Multiple CEL Codes

Hey Evo M community,

I have a 2008 Evo X GSR with (AEM drybox intake, GReddy catback exhaust, Prosport Boost, AFR, oil pressure gauges) with about 48k miles. The car has been in storage for about 6 months and never been turned on since then.

Just started her up earlier this week after replacing the battery and a CEL popped up. Also noticed that my AFR gauge on warmed up idle was hovering 15.9 - 16. This was quite odd because it was normal before at 14.9ish. Took it to a shop to get scanned and numerous codes popped up. I can't recall what the mechanic said correctly but he along the lines of wideband and O2 sensors. He recommended that I change both O2 sensors first because that would regulate and fix the other sensors throwing codes.

I checked for unplugged vacuum lines and possible IC piping becoming loose but everything looks in order.

What I don't understand is how a car has just been sitting there inactive for sometime but the sensors can fail. How should I approach this?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Delete the codes
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:38 AM

Thank you for your reply.

I thought about deleting the codes but that would mean I would just neglect the high AFR my wideband is showing.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Try putting a fresh tank of gas into her, drain the old crap out.... Also there is alot of carbon on the O2s and if you let them sit for that long that carbon hardens like a **** so that too could be the issue.. might just pull them and clean them off and try again....

I had a number of CELs this past winter in Chicago on my front O2 and i just cleared them b/c my W/B was reading that everything was ok. I did this maybe 3 times and it has been 5 months now with no codes..... our cars are just crabby little things sometimes so
Old Jun 14, 2018, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by EVOX84
Try putting a fresh tank of gas into her, drain the old crap out.... Also there is alot of carbon on the O2s and if you let them sit for that long that carbon hardens like a **** so that too could be the issue.. might just pull them and clean them off and try again....

I had a number of CELs this past winter in Chicago on my front O2 and i just cleared them b/c my W/B was reading that everything was ok. I did this maybe 3 times and it has been 5 months now with no codes..... our cars are just crabby little things sometimes so
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately my wideband is not currently reading normal AFR of 14.9. Instead it is showing high 15's - low 16's on idle with operating engine temp.

Also, I borrowed my friends OBDII to get more clarity on the CEL, and the codes are as follows:
  • P0031 - H02S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1
  • P0037 - H02S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 2
  • P0243 - Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A
  • P0098 - Intake Air Temp Sensor 2 Circuit High
  • P0247 - Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid B
Old Jun 14, 2018, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
After sitting and replacing the battery, did you run your wideband through calibration again? If not, start there.

Check your wiring harness too, hopefully you don't have any rodent damage.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gotkamote
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately my wideband is not currently reading normal AFR of 14.9. Instead it is showing high 15's - low 16's on idle with operating engine temp.

Also, I borrowed my friends OBDII to get more clarity on the CEL, and the codes are as follows:
  • P0031 - H02S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1
  • P0037 - H02S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 2
  • P0243 - Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A
  • P0098 - Intake Air Temp Sensor 2 Circuit High
  • P0247 - Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid B
Originally Posted by splattj
After sitting and replacing the battery, did you run your wideband through calibration again? If not, start there.

Check your wiring harness too, hopefully you don't have any rodent damage.

What He said! sounds like you got some friends in the bay...... start tracing wires and see what you find. also pull the fuel relay and give her a shake to make sure she doesn't rattle or anything, if you hear some, time for a new one.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:07 AM

Update:
I lifted the car and did not see any rodent damage or loose wires. I also pulled the fuel relay and that was fine.

The CEL disappeared and my AFR returned to normal. I guess since the car was dead for so long, the car just needed to get driven around for a good while for things to calibrate.

To those that replied with suggestions, thank you for the help and advice.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gotkamote
Update:
I lifted the car and did not see any rodent damage or loose wires. I also pulled the fuel relay and that was fine.

The CEL disappeared and my AFR returned to normal. I guess since the car was dead for so long, the car just needed to get driven around for a good while for things to calibrate.

To those that replied with suggestions, thank you for the help and advice.

Glad to hear it all worked out!