Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Oil Coming From Bov ???

Old Jul 13, 2018, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Coming From Bov ???

Hi guys
So i just installed my GFB Deceptor Pro II Bov Yesterday and Today i have noticed that my Bov has a lil amount of oil sticking where vent is ( please see the attacment )
Bov is fully venting to Atmospheric mode !
So my question is it bad for having oil sticking out from the Bov ???
Car is pretty stock and sitting on just 2000 miles on the odo 😞
Any help would be appreciated !

Last edited by Sl33p3rEvo; Jul 13, 2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Could just be assembly lube from when it was built. However it could also just being some from the valve cover vent.... The back side of the valve cover is vented into the intake and you get vapor and some oil that vents back into the intake....emissions bullsh*t, My thought is that b/c you are VTA that some of it is getting pushed out the BOV when it opens. If that is the case, you can correct this with some catch cans like Driven Fab or Radium cans... (I run the Radium sealed dual setup on my EVO)

I would wipe the oil away and see if it continues.
Sidenote, not sure if you are aware but our cars don't really like VTAs without a tune of some sort.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 04:12 PM

If it’s a blow by oil coming from/to the intake then how about if i put back the stock bov on ? Does it still have blow-by oil inside the system ? Does it bad if i run it without the oil catch can ? If like that then pretty much it’s a factory manufacture’s defects to not having a oil catch can in the setup of the car ?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 05:12 PM

From what i have read from the manual instructions , there will be a lil amount of oil that passing the intake from the Crankcase or Rocker-cover oil vapor , so would it be those kind of oil that coming from my bov ?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sl33p3rEvo

From what i have read from the manual instructions , there will be a lil amount of oil that passing the intake from the Crankcase or Rocker-cover oil vapor , so would it be those kind of oil that coming from my bov ?
Yes this is what i was talking about. Totally normal for these cars so nothing to worry about with that. I was just giving you some ideas of what it could be.... you can keep your car the way it is, i just recommend you get a tune with the VTA. our cars are mapped for recalculation so you may want to do some research about people who run them on the EVOs and see what they have to say about it.

People run catch cans on most turbo cars and are now starting to run them on NA cars too.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by EVOX84
Yes this is what i was talking about. Totally normal for these cars so nothing to worry about with that. I was just giving you some ideas of what it could be.... you can keep your car the way it is, i just recommend you get a tune with the VTA. our cars are mapped for recalculation so you may want to do some research about people who run them on the EVOs and see what they have to say about it.

People run catch cans on most turbo cars and are now starting to run them on NA cars too.
Ok thanks for the helpful answer and i think you probably right , i did wiped the oil off and tested it for 2 days .
- First day was ok with normal driving under 4k rpm and i don’t see anything coming out of the bov .
- Second day with some hard pull and i noticed that there still a liltle amount of oil sticking out of my bov .

So now i’m sure it is not from the assemble of the bov . If this is a blow by then do you think it will make the car damage in a long run w/o a catch can , or it will be fine w/o a catch can setup ? Also what happen even if i putting back the stock bov on the car ? Is it still having blow-by within inside the system which i couldn’t see or it will go back to normal function with full recirculating bov ?

by the way any chance of Bad turbo causing the oil venting out of the bov ?

Last edited by Sl33p3rEvo; Jul 17, 2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sl33p3rEvo

Ok thanks for the helpful answer and i think you probably right , i did wiped the oil off and tested it for 2 days .
- First day was ok with normal driving under 4k rpm and i don’t see anything coming out of the bov .
- Second day with some hard pull and i noticed that there still a liltle amount of oil sticking out of my bov .

So now i’m sure it is not from the assemble of the bov . If this is a blow by then do you think it will make the car damage in a long run w/o a catch can , or it will be fine w/o a catch can setup ? Also what happen even if i putting back the stock bov on the car ? Is it still having blow-by within inside the system which i couldn’t see or it will go back to normal function with full recirculating bov ?

by the way any chance of Bad turbo causing the oil venting out of the bov ?

it should be fine without the catch-can
put it back to stock it will still happen you just wont see it
Not likely with the bad turbo b/c i think you would see alot more oil in alot more places on the car...

Everything should be okay as far as the blow by goes as its normal for these cars to do it. youre just seeing it now b.c of the VTA.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 02:47 PM

Ok thanks you set my mind at peace now , everything makes sense now , it’s good to chat with the expert , thanks Champ 👍