Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

opinions/advice: buying new vs used parts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
opinions/advice: buying new vs used parts

have been working on making a plan for mods and I think im just about done. With that being said, I ran into an Evo X owner near me that said he was gonna start parting out his car soon. Just wanted to know peoples opinions or tips with buying new vs used parts really. what parts, if any should be taken with a grain of salt. the car has a lot of goodies, full bolt ons, nice wheels, among other things. really nice car.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Buy used it's the best if you can find the parts you want. Most are re-usable. Just bump this with what you are considering and we can weigh in.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 03:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Internal engine parts, turbochargers, and fuel injectors are things I generally wouldn't buy used. Wheels (after checking they're straight), exhaust stuff, intake, intercoolers and piping, etc are all fine to buy used.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It really depends on what you're trying to purchase. Bolt-on parts, wheels, etc. are all pretty good if in good condition. I personally wouldn't purchase used wear/tear items like brake pads. I see them all the time, but would rather just buy new pads that I can bed to match my rotors. Inspect everything you plan on purchasing. Are there any harsh bends/cracks? That may be something to look out for. Did you have an idea specifically what kind of parts you were trying to purchase?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

thank you all for your help. the guy said he would send me a list of parts the car had.. off the top of my head though all ETS intake, test pipe, V2 exhaust. boost controller and boos/uego afr gauge. should be fine right?

Last edited by Blue_Lion; Jul 21, 2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_Lion
thank you all for your help. the guy said he would send me a list of parts the car had.. off the top of my head though all ETS intake, test pipe, V2 exhaust. boost controller and boos/uego afr gauge. should be fine right?
These should all be fine, just check the condition of them. Look for any bends, tampering, etc. and ask if all parts will be included. You don't want to have to buy an intake and not have a MAF sensor or some hose fittings, or buy gauges without proper sensors/wiring, etc.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoxkng
These should all be fine, just check the condition of them. Look for any bends, tampering, etc. and ask if all parts will be included. You don't want to have to buy an intake and not have a MAF sensor or some hose fittings, or buy gauges without proper sensors/wiring, etc.
thank you!!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 01:55 PM

I always buy new, except used wheels are ok. I have bought used parts in the past and it always seems like some small piece is missing.