Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Rock chips on hood scoop

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rock chips on hood scoop

Is the best way to rectify this to buy a touch up paint marker?: https://stmtuned.com/products/touch-...=1633822539785
There are threads on various forums on this, but they're 6-8 years old. I'm wondering if there's a solution I'm not thinking of.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
I'd see if you could pop out that whole piece, and get it repainted properly. I think touch up paint will stand out a lot on that piece. But it may not, may just try that then go from there.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
My Mercury Grey Pearl scoop has the EXACT same defect. That's not rock chips but paint failure. Pulling and repainting the whole thing is going to look best. Aftermarket scoops are another option, if you want to change the look up. I'm thinking about trying this technique out on mine when I put the Evo away for the Winter:

Old Aug 8, 2018, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I just did DR colorchip and it came out pretty well. Will have to see how it holds up - has only been a few weeks.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JimGVT
I just did DR colorchip and it came out pretty well. Will have to see how it holds up - has only been a few weeks.
I saw another company Touch Up Direct offers a similar product.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
After getting that scoop painted 3 times on the X I used to have, we finally just had it vinyl wrapped satin black. On a mercury gray car, it looked clean and no more chipping issues.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Mine looks just like that! I gave up on the car looking good however.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
This is a known defect with the paint. take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it... the have fixed them here is chicago
Old Aug 10, 2018, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOX84
This is a known defect with the paint. take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it... the have fixed them here is chicago
Yeah, I'm gathering that. My car's drivetrain warranty is ending later this month. Wouldnt the paint be covered in the basic 3 year warranty? Too late for that for me
The only other protection aside from the AWC pump extended warranty I recall is for rust perforation on the exterior.
What exactly is the explanation you've given to the dealership, to convince average dude that answers the phone at the dealership that they should rectify this for free? Out of warranty
Old Aug 13, 2018, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaEvoPusha
Yeah, I'm gathering that. My car's drivetrain warranty is ending later this month. Wouldnt the paint be covered in the basic 3 year warranty? Too late for that for me
The only other protection aside from the AWC pump extended warranty I recall is for rust perforation on the exterior.
What exactly is the explanation you've given to the dealership, to convince average dude that answers the phone at the dealership that they should rectify this for free? Out of warranty

I have not taken mine in b/c i have a WW and i dont nothing is but its there for sure... Alot of my buddies have taken them in and the dealer has fixed it. Im not 100% sure what you say to them.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOX84
I have not taken mine in b/c i have a WW and i dont nothing is but its there for sure... Alot of my buddies have taken them in and the dealer has fixed it. Im not 100% sure what you say to them.
I'll probably give the dealer a call at some point- see what they say
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaEvoPusha
I'll probably give the dealer a call at some point- see what they say

seeing how you are in the upper midwest, i would also tell you to crawl under the rear of the car and look at the metal pinch welds behind your bumper.... i live in chicago and my 2015 is rusting already.... I need to take it in but if yours is too might just have them look at it while they look at the hood scoop
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I painted my hood scoop black on my WW