Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

blown oil filters

Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy blown oil filters

anybody have any clue what could be happening? this is a buschur built and sleeved block with there head and gsc s2. have hks reloaded intake, synapse bov, forge actuator, ams front mount, hks hard pipe kit, megan o2, perrin dp, hks high power exhaust, exedy twin hd. the problem is it will start and run fine but on 2 wix filters blew out the seal and lost the oil. put on a moble 1 filter and this 1 blew the casing apart. someone thought it was excessive crank case pressure but everything i've seen about that people are blowing out their dipsticks and i am not? only found 1 post about a faulty filter from the dealer. please help... for the life of me i cant figure this out any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The first thing I would try are OEM Mitsu filters. Also, are you trying to run a really heavy oil?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have oil pressure? Not the obvious question--what I am asking is there oil pressure in the head and block. Sounds to me like something is blocked and causing excessive pressure at the filter and thus not oiling someplace else. I have seen a filter blow off--the filter wasnt made for the car and when the pressure hit rose it blew off. What is the oil pressure reading at idle? What RPM is the filter cutting loose? Use a mitsu filter--they are not that expensive and report back.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:51 PM

not running a heavy oil. currently running a 30 weight valvoline oil for break in. will know oil pressure tonight when my buddy brings over his tester. my gauge still hasn't arrived so i don't know for sure. and they all have failed at or near idle rpm.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:34 PM

ok so installed oil pressure gauge and at start up it hits 80 psi and once warm it idles around 26ish psi. i believe that to be in the norm so i guess i'm gonna get some mitsu oil filters and try those. i'm just so scared to drive it, i dont want to blow another filter and possibly fry my new motor
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Oil pressure seems to be in the right range. With it really cold like now mine idles at 100psi until it warms up. Sorry - can't help the problem. I've been using Wix filters and haven't had a problem.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I know in the Chevys there was an oil check valve or something inside the engine and sometimes it would get stuck and this would happen. I don't know if that would happen on the 4B11 though.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
why not check with buschur?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by beetle_orange
why not check with buschur?
+1 would definately call bashur first!!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:31 AM

i will call buschur i was busy finishing other things on the car friday and its now the weekend. thanks
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:12 AM

so for anyone that possibly runs into this issue. mine was caused by the check valve in the oil pump sticking and not allowing over pressure to recirculate in the pump.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:23 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Thanks for the follow up! good to know
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:10 PM

no problem i figured anyone that would run into this issue would be in the same boat as me and have no clue... if this helps 1 person it was worth it...
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:17 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrdc2
no problem i figured anyone that would run into this issue would be in the same boat as me and have no clue... if this helps 1 person it was worth it...
5 years down the road, some frustrated guy will find this thread with Google, and you will have made his day
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

i just bought an Evo 8 last month.it is an AMS 2.3 with a GT37R turbo and either the boost or the vibration from the 2.3 caused my oil filter to back off enough to leak.

i just did an oil change to Motul 300V and used the purple HKS filters as i heard they were good.my idle oil pressure is actually a little low,right at 14-15 pounds.but pressure is good everywhere else.

and yes the filter was one very tight.i saw a clamp made for these cars with high boost or high rpms that locks the oil filter down.might buy ine,but first thought i would try the OEM filter.

i also blow the dipstick under high boost,seems like any pulls over 20lbs of boost will blow it,so i added a 2 catch can system and it still does it.bought a throttle spring at AutoZone and locked it down.

anyway,you aren't alone,though i was thinking mine was vibrating out,i guess it could be high pressure to.i hit 27psi a couple times the night before it backed out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blown oil filters