Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Praying to the Mitsubishi gods!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Praying to the Mitsubishi gods!

So, about 2 months ago, I was on a weekend getaway to Colorado when my Evo popped out of 5th doing 80 down the freeway. It is still under warranty so I have it towed to the dealership in Ft Collins. They tell me it was the clutch which I thought was weird since I could feel it go into every gear except 5th. They tell me that for $1700 they will put an aftermarket clutch in. I say no thanks and go pick it up with a trailer and bring it home.

I eventually save up enough money to buy a new clutch and flywheel for it. I take it to my local dealership because I know the guys working there and they are the only ones in town I trust. I don't have the tools or a place to do that kind of work myself. I stopped by today to check on the progress to find that it was not the clutch. 5th gear had disintegrated.

Now, my Evo is a 2015 and it only has 18,000 miles on it. The only aftermarket parts on it is a Cobb intake. It is very easy to tell that I take damn good care of this car. They still have to send pictures to Mitsubishi to get approval to cover the transmission under warranty. 🤨 Now, I'm sitting here stressing out if this is going to cost me nothing or thousands to fix.

If there is a God, please let him/her be an Evo fan.

Rant over.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Better sacrifice a 10mm socket just to be safe.
The following 2 users liked this post by Metal_AF:
JDZNate (Sep 26, 2018), Pal215 (Sep 24, 2018)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 07:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal_AF
Better sacrifice a 10mm socket just to be safe.
One of the funniest quotes Ive seen
Old Sep 20, 2018, 08:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
What are you worry about.
They will cover it
Old Sep 20, 2018, 08:51 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
The place that said it was the clutch needs to be put out of business. That's not even how cars work

Good luck, man. It's under warranty, but they will try to get out of it, I'm sure. I don't imagine they can use the intake as a way out of it, so you should be fine.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

I think you'll be fine
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That’s crazy. I really hope everything works out in your favour.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
5th gear going out should be covered, it's not like you would ever have much load on it then, or a reason for it to blow other than material defect.

Good luck, but you should be covered!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 05:15 PM

Sorry for the late response but I have bad news. It turns out that the previous owner apparently tuned the ECU. Who would do a tune with just an air intake I have no idea. The code on the ECU says it has the software of a 2014. Needless to say, they are voiding the warranty and refuse to fix it.

Now, here is my question. How can a tune of the ECU cause 5th gear to explode? The car only had 4000 miles on it when I bought it.

I'm thinking of going to the Fiat dealership I bought it from and see if they can help or advise me on how to get Mitsubishi to cover it.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Where are you in Texas? Just skip all of that if in the Houston area and take it to Kozmic Motorsports and have them sort / fix it properly. You're past them supporting you, just move on and get it resolved. Transmissions aren't cheap if it's a GSR and Kozmic can perfectly tune the car for any other parts you have on there that you may not be aware of. Good luck and hope you're in the Houston area
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That’s weird... and I don’t think a tune would explode your 5th gear
Old Oct 14, 2018, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Where are you in Texas? Just skip all of that if in the Houston area and take it to Kozmic Motorsports and have them sort / fix it properly. You're past them supporting you, just move on and get it resolved. Transmissions aren't cheap if it's a GSR and Kozmic can perfectly tune the car for any other parts you have on there that you may not be aware of. Good luck and hope you're in the Houston area
I'm from Dallas but the car is in South Dakota where I am working. If I can't get them to honor it then I'm thinking of pulling it and sending it to Shep's.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tarry Harper
I'm from Dallas but the car is in South Dakota where I am working. If I can't get them to honor it then I'm thinking of pulling it and sending it to Shep's.
Is it the GSR? Those things are stupid cheap even new, may look into that before weighing out cost of shipping etc.. If you had an MR that's another story, but GSR - I'd just look to swap in a new transmission and call it a day.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
How much is a replacement 5speed? $3-4K?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeweyD
How much is a replacement 5speed? $3-4K?
Looked cheaper than that when I poked around, a lot cheaper.