Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

15 evo x gsr 30k mile warped rotors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove about 500 miles, dealer says rotors are warped, no scorching he said. I dont know why they would say warped rotors if its pad buildup...couldnt they tell? I don't do track events I'm still unemployed unfortunately so I'm very careful with the car. I'm stuck with oem parts so they can warranty it again.

edit: new rotors have been ordered, again lol. Said they are going to "check the runout of the hubs", what does that mean? Car goes in Nov 1st.

Last edited by Evn2rzn; Oct 18, 2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
They put a dial indicator on the car and measure the runout (variance). The rotors are supposed to be relatively flat as the rotate. Pad buildup in spots will cause there to be an uneven surface which causes the brake shudder you feel.

They want to make sure you don't have a wheel bearing gone bad so they are going to put that same indicator on the hub instead of the brakes to see if your play/runout is coming from there instead, which is unlikely but good to eliminate nonetheless.

Odds are the dealership tech you're talking with doesn't really understand brakes and uses the term warped because it's what they've heard before. It's commonly used but definitely a misnomer.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 02:33 PM

Update: It's fixed again on 2nd set of new rotors. No more warranty, on my own now because I "brake too hard" and 'warp' rotors in a week daily driving on snows in the rain. Done with this dealer in concord, next closest is Nashua, 1.5 hour drive from Plymouth for warranty work. I'm just praying things don't go bad again in a week.

I don't know how to be more forceful with this service dept without making a scene, it sucks because I've been very cooperative and polite, being lovingly bold, while getting laughed at when i repeat their "improper storage at the factory" excuse, along with the braking comment today, kind of upset with the treatment, but life goes on and I'll just need to try another dealer.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:29 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
No such thing as warped rotors these days, unless you are getting them red hot and immediately driving through water.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 05:06 AM

Thanks again for the feedback. I wish i could understand what happened. I'm having a hard time picturing such an extreme shudder from a rotor surface that looks clean and smooth if it isn't warped. I mean, it was bad!

I was trying my best to imagine how this could happen at all in 500 mile daily driving, whether its warped or pad build up or whatever it really is. **** doesn't even seem possible. I feel like it's just going to happen again because we're counting on blind faith at this point instead of knowing what went wrong and how to prevent it again.

At least the representative from Mitsubishi was very nice, I told her to wish me luck. I wasn't going to leave the dealership yesterday without another warranty but I did. I was going to tell them to call the police to remove me from the premises, so I'm obviously pretty peeved at this scenario.

The ongoing insistence in this thread about no warping being possible is good to have if this happens a 3rd time and I'm out $1k. I can bring this advice to Mitsubishi and another dealer for troubleshooting. For now let's all hope it's fixed right this time and this thread can die.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 08:45 AM
kaj

I sometimes get it with my track pads. If so ,I repeat the bed-in process. I'm not sure that works with street pads, though. A light sand paper usually does the trick, though.
For next time, any way.
Unless you are doing some serious canyon carving ,it's odd that you are consistently having this problem.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
If it happens again, might be better to find a reputable independent shop. Dealers don't always hire the best people, and they might be more prone to the "replace everything" mentality, which begets assigning a root cause without really investigating.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 09:29 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I had a reoccurring high speed, low brake force steering wheel judder that turned out to be because i was failing to do this
Old Nov 6, 2018, 06:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I've never put grease on any of my brake pads in almost 30 years of driving.

That stuff goes away as soon as the brakes see real heat anyway.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab

lucky you, it was screwing up my brakes, and its clearly part of the FSM.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 07:16 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by fafaforza
If it happens again, might be better to find a reputable independent shop. Dealers don't always hire the best people, and they might be more prone to the "replace everything" mentality, which begets assigning a root cause without really investigating.
Replace = less liability. I don't think any modern dealership would clean up an old set of rotors.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 07:19 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by razorlab

I do it for daily pads. Obviously not going to work on track pads, though. Probably not even the copper stuff.. ?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 07:27 AM

It could have something to do with the kind of miles i drive, or how I drive them, but lack of greasing the pads was 100% causing my issue. I know because i did everything to try and fix it, new rotors, pads, rebuilt calipers, bought tools to measure rotor thickness and run out, checked wheel bearings, even replaced a wheel that had a little bend in the lip, problem kept coming back. Did research, found that lack of lubrication is a cause of my described issue. I lubed the pads and guide pins and the problem went away on its own and didn't return.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Replace = less liability. I don't think any modern dealership would clean up an old set of rotors.
I would expect them to at least diagnose the issue, let you decide how to proceed. Otherwise what other unnecessary "fixes" do they push on people.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 08:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
No, a lot of dealers have brake lathes.

But you are right in that most dealers don't really have "technicians" anymore. They might have 1 or 2 guys that are really capable of diagnosing a complex problem, and the rest are basically R&I guys that can follow instructions (sort of) and do basic diag to fix OBD2 codes.

Quick Reply: 15 evo x gsr 30k mile warped rotors