Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Back in an Evo X Finally, Not W/O Headaches

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back in an Evo X Finally, Not W/O Headaches

So after about ~4years Evo-less, I've finally put a CZ4A back in my car collection. I picked up this 2007 GSR-SST, intending to replace my Mark II iR-V Fortuna Yamaha Power as my daily driver. It's been so long I forgot how absolutely bonkers and manic the character of the Evo is. A spec sheet comparison of the Mark II iR-V vs the Evo X might make you think the two cars should drive somewhat the same (~300hp, 3300lbs, RWD vs AWD) but that's not true at all, and the Evo's character definitely suits my style better. I'm gonna miss bulletproof Toyota reliability though.....

The good: the interior looks almost-new. Decent after-market headunit (Kenwood), 2-piece front rotors.
The bad: the AWD system could best be described as....."completely knackered".

I ordered the car sight-unseen from a car shop in Saitama, and buying the cheapest black Evo X in Japan I expected some "issues". Since delivery Saturday the car has been throwing the yellow AWC warning light. It also feels like the front-right wheel bearing is shot. -_- The car has a 1yr limited warranty, which as I'm looking through the Japanese-language documentation with Google Translate doesn't seem to cover the AYC Pump, and since it's 11 years old it's JUST outside the 10-year extended AYC Pump warranty. I took it to a shop today and they read the following engine codes.
U0136 AWC CAN TIME OUT
U0121 ABS/ASC TIME OUT
C161E AWC PUMP MALFUNCTION
C161F AWC ACTUATOR PROTECTOR

I have a Mitsubishi stealership appointment Monday, we'll see what sort of wallet damage I might face.

Nothing more JDM than using the wing of your Evo as a counter to eat your ricebowl from Yoshinoya. #riceburner

The Evo should delivery smiles daily while I continue working on my Supra.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 03:10 AM
Evolving Member

They said they would give me a full estimate today, but I didn't get a call by 5pm so I went there myself before they closed. I THINK this is how the conversation went (my Japanese isn't that great).
"Your ACD pump is dead. It's ~$1250, not including labor."
"I can get a rebuild kit online for $80."
"You can't rebuild it because the electrical motor is straight up dead."
"Ok, onto the 2nd problem.....is the wheel hub bad?"
"Oh we haven't even looked at that yet. And it's $80 for the diagnostics we did today on the AYC/ACD pump."

WTF man. -_-.

"Alright, I'm gonna think about what I want you to do. I might just try to fix it myself, so I'm going to take the car home today, and if that doesn't work I'll bring it back for you guys to replace."

But I really don't have the time to deal with this myself. I'm already task-saturated with wiring my Supra and my side-business, not to mention prepping my former DD (the Mark II) for sale ASAP, so I can't afford to have my new daily driver hard parked for too long (and its JCI bi-annual inspection is due in December too). As much as I wanna solve things the Thanos way. ("Fine. I'll do it myself.").....I might have to just throw money at the problem to make it go away.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
THIS IS A WARRANTY ITEM up to 100k
Old Nov 20, 2018, 07:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah sucks you just missed the warranty.
Well considering its only $1250 you should buy and install it yourself.
I'm sure they will charge at least 5hr labor for the job.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like the forum ate my reply....

Short version: will pay the dealer to fix the ACD Pump, replace brakepads, and fix the wheel sound (either an unbalanced wheel or a bad wheel hub). I need the car ready before 19 December when my JCI expires. I will JCI the car myself to save money there (about half the normal JCI cost of $800-$1000), but doing the pump swap in my apartment parking lot is asking for something to go wrong, and I'd have to pay Mitsubishi to do the pump flush afterwards anyway. I'll take the old/dead pump and try to refurbish it, then throw it on Ebay/Yahoo Auctions Japan.

Should be picking up an HKS Silent Hi Power exhaust Sunday from the only other gaijin I know on island with an Evo X.