Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Common 4b11t issues

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Common 4b11t issues

I’ve made the decision to buy an evo X, but I’d like to here some common issues with major drivetrain components(engine trans transfer case etc). Also what regular maintenance I’d be getting into, what parts parts I need for longevity as it will mostly be a daily and driven often. I’ve heard some things about head baskets blowing often, and piston ring gaps being to small. So any input on common issues/longevity mods will be much appreciated!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Those problems sound more like Subarus to me. Lol

I've had a couple X's. For the most the part, the 4B11 is very reliable IMO as long as you don't continually beat on it and keep up with maintenance. One of the more expensive thing people run in to is replacing the clutch on DD's. But thats mainly because of driver error or launching too much.

For a DD, you will probably need to change all the drivetrain fluids about once a year. Oil changes about every 3k miles. You can do them yourself and if you have a GSR, it will cost about $90 or so. The MR's are more expensive because of the tranny. Tires can get expensive depending on the kind you get.

As far as mods go, you can do most boltons and be fine with a tune. Intake, intercooler and piping, exhaust, etc.

The Evo X really isn't that bad to DD. Gas gets kind of expensive since you usually see 16-17mpgs depending on where and how you drive. But it is a fun DD that can be very reliable.

Last edited by ugakirk; Jan 18, 2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Try and get 2012 + but not 2015 so you get the Recaros and the improved timing chain. Solid car if you find a good one don't be overly concerned and head gaskets are a Subaru issue.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 02:18 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys
Old Jan 20, 2019, 08:03 AM
AJV

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Make sure you check your fuel pump relay that it has the updated version. Ziptie the vacuum line going to the factory fuel pressure regulator.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 02:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Fuel pump relay, and the recal on the serpentine belt are about it. The timing stretches, but that's ONLY for 2008's, and there is an updated chain available. Though by now, most cars will have had that taken care of. Other than that, no real issues with the 4b11. Change the oil on time with good synthetic and you'll be fine.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:26 PM

Did the zip tie on the vacuum line. Other than that, I ran my car for 75,000 miles before selling. Had bolt-ons and ran a Cobb Stage 2 tune. Mix of street/occasional track day. As reliable as any other car I've owned.