EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   What S-AWC to use...? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/368614-what-s-awc-use.html)

Aseller Sep 10, 2008 01:08 PM

What S-AWC to use...?

I am going to be running my car for the first time tonight and was wondering if the S-AWC settings (Tarmac, Gravel, Snow) makes a difference, or if one is better to have it set at.

shyong Sep 10, 2008 01:13 PM

Well, what do you think? I'm sure you already know.

STi2EvoX Sep 10, 2008 01:29 PM

Tarmac has the most aggressive rear torque split, which is best for acceleration. Also, disable the ASC in both stages. When you launch it, make sure that you bounce it off of the artificial rev limiter for at least a second or two to build a tiny bit of boost and then let the clutch out quickly but smoothly. Good luck and be sure to post your times.

Aseller Sep 10, 2008 01:32 PM

Well I'm sure I would leave it on tarmac. But I wasn't sure since "the system manages several component systems to regulate drive torque and braking force at each wheel, reading and reflecting driver intent in real time over a wide range of situations."

Aseller Sep 10, 2008 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX (Post 6101839)
Tarmac has the most aggressive rear torque split, which is best for acceleration. Also, disable the ASC in both stages. When you launch it, make sure that you bounce it off of the artificial rev limiter for at least a second or two to build a tiny bit of boost and then let the clutch out quickly but smoothly. Good luck and be sure to post your times.

Thanks! Yeah I pretty much always have ASC disabled. I appreciate the input! I'm a little nervous because I haven't launched this car at the track yet so we'll see...

goofygrin Sep 10, 2008 01:36 PM

Are you pressing the ASC button, or holding it 4-5 seconds until the ! comes up on the HUD?

Big difference.

Aseller Sep 10, 2008 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by goofygrin (Post 6101864)
Are you pressing the ASC button, or holding it 4-5 seconds until the ! comes up on the HUD?

Big difference.

Wow, didn't even know about that... What does holding it down vs. just pressing the button do? Sorry aparently I am out of the loop a little bit.

goofygrin Sep 10, 2008 01:57 PM

there's lots of discussion as to what it really does (search for it), but basically in one setting, it still will use the brakes to control skid, but not cut the engine and in the other setting it will not use either brakes or engine to control skid.

Since you will be causing some slip when going down the track at max power, then you don't want the computer messing with things.

Aseller Sep 10, 2008 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by goofygrin (Post 6101959)
there's lots of discussion as to what it really does (search for it), but basically in one setting, it still will use the brakes to control skid, but not cut the engine and in the other setting it will not use either brakes or engine to control skid.

Since you will be causing some slip when going down the track at max power, then you don't want the computer messing with things.

Just read the other thread that you had put your 2 cents in. Very informative! Thanks a bunch! I had no idea I wasn't completely disabling the ASC... {thumbup}{thumbup} {thumbup}

dek0026 Sep 10, 2008 03:10 PM

for drag racing i would disable the whole damn thing. no real need for onboard nanny driving a straight line and you want all that power down without the computer applying a brake somewhere.

Joe's Evo X Sep 10, 2008 09:04 PM

Wow i didnt know about the second stage of the ASC. That is awesome info. I am going to have to play with this on the way home from work tonight.

dek0026 Sep 11, 2008 03:25 AM

read your manuals

Aseller Sep 11, 2008 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX (Post 6101839)
...be sure to post your times.

13.1 Not to bad but I need to work on my launch a bit. My r/t wasn't very good.

Thanks again for your help and input!