EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Sound Proofing for Engine/Road Noise... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/400950-sound-proofing-engine-road-noise.html)

dcgsr Feb 17, 2009 09:19 PM

Sound Proofing for Engine/Road Noise...

My GSR is pretty noisy when cruising above 75mph...and I'm looking for ways to cut down the engine/road noise a little.

I've used Dynamat in previous cars...which is expensive and tricky to apply in some places. I just learned about FatMat. (looks like Dynamat but cheaper)

But painting on something like eDead seems like a much easier way to cut down noise (if it really works). Has anybody tried painting on eDead v3? Did it work?

Any suggestions on where to start? Doors? Floor?

Cpt. Picard Feb 18, 2009 04:37 AM

I'm actually looking into this myself because I have the same complaint. I took a 2300 mile round road trip and the noise is just crazy at that speed, lol. I had to keep it at 70mph-75mph for it to be tolerable.

How well did Dynamat work on your previous cars? I've heard a couple good things about FatMat but I've never heard of eDead v3.

If anyone has any experience please help, lol. I don't have any experience in this.

Cpt. Picard Feb 18, 2009 04:49 AM

I just looked at the FatMat site and I think I'm going to give that a try. You really can't beat that price compared to the Dynamat.

jasonrp15 Feb 18, 2009 05:08 AM

I know this might be a stupid question but where would you place the material to make the road noise quiter?

Cpt. Picard Feb 18, 2009 05:31 AM

I would assume the firewall/floor mainly. Also underneath the back seat and trunk area.

Violat0rX Feb 18, 2009 06:20 PM

I sound deadened my X about 2 weeks after I bought it. I used the stuff from secondskinaudio called damplifier (which is like dynamat), Overkill, and Luxury Liner.

Basically I put the damplifier mat on the bare metal all over the car (from the trunk to bottom of firewall) then used the OverKill in the trunk and anywhere the luxury liner was too thick for. Then I laid luxury liner under all the carpet and back seats. I also did the doors with the mat, overkill, and pieces of luxury liner. Overall it made a difference, it's not like a real luxury car, but I didn't expect it to be. Before I did the install, it sounded like there was no insulation at all...especially through the floor. I could hear everything thru the floor and the wheel wells.

I wish I could have gotten to the firewall easier...but I really didn't want to take the dash apart. And yes, it did add weight to the already heavy X, but it's my daily and not a track monster. I'll make up for it with a some horsepower :)

Here are some pics of the stuff:

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...d%20Deadening/

dcgsr Feb 18, 2009 07:33 PM

What about the hood

Originally Posted by Violat0rX (Post 6710643)
I sound deadened my X about 2 weeks after I bought it. I used the stuff from secondskinaudio called damplifier (which is like dynamat), Overkill, and Luxury Liner.

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...d%20Deadening/

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Without a decibel meter -- it's hard to compare notes. But my stock GSR Radio needs to be set around 28-30 just to hear the music above the noise of the car at 75mph. Do you have an idea of how much less radio volume you need to hear the music above the car at 75mph? (i'm trying to quantify the amount of improvement you got out of your install)

Did you consider insulating the hood too? I see that they have hood liner kits which shouldn't be too hard to install. Supposedly that's a good way to lower the engine noise too.

pltek Feb 18, 2009 08:03 PM

Holy sound deadening, i think that most of the noise is coming in from engine, you would probably have to remove dash and insulate the there and floor boards driver and passenger side

Violat0rX Feb 18, 2009 09:06 PM

Well with the SSS radio, on the highway traveling between 75-80 mph I would have the volume anywhere between 20-24. It's not the greatest way to measure the level of sound deadening because everyone has difference preferences / noise tolerances. I could still kind of hear the engine and stuff at these levels but it was loud enough to hear clearly especially CDs.

I have thought about the hood liner...but I would tackle the firewall before I did that...and who knows if I will ever do the firewall. Unfortunately, the engine is the loudest part so I still get that coming thru the cabin. I'm used to it...but would like to quite it down a bit if possible.

SLO-EVO Feb 18, 2009 09:36 PM

One more thought, it makes the cab louder, but the engine whine gets taken over, is add an exhaust. i know you want to silence the engine noise, but a nice exhaust will over ride the noises that are bothersome.

DarwinX Feb 19, 2009 06:44 AM

I have noticed that the Evo in stock form does get a little "boomy" at about 4000 rpm.

:eek:

Violat0rX Feb 19, 2009 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by *constant_boost (Post 6711428)
One more thought, it makes the cab louder, but the engine whine gets taken over, is add an exhaust. i know you want to silence the engine noise, but a nice exhaust will over ride the noises that are bothersome.

I've actually thought of that. I'll do exhaust eventually, but I want a quiet one...hopefully it will turn the engine whine into a nice deep rumble.

gizmotoy Feb 20, 2009 07:26 AM

My main noise complaint is wind noise. It's at an incredible level. I don't know if it's because of the dumbo-like side mirrors or the design of the door itself or the window seals, but it's pretty bad. It makes my Civic sound like a Lexus inside at highway speeds.

Methodical4u Feb 20, 2009 10:27 AM

I sort of like the noise...coming from an RS it's pretty quiet :)

germanracing Feb 20, 2009 10:53 AM

Somebody buying a Evo and then complaining about road noise! That's priceless! Hillarious! :D

Sell the Evo and buy a bmw/audi/vw whatever...