EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Hydroplaned Bad outcome (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/405164-hydroplaned-bad-outcome.html)

WickedX1 Mar 8, 2009 11:02 AM

Hydroplaned Bad outcome

Hi, just wanted to share my story last night was probably the saddest nights in my life. It was raining pretty hard here in chicago, and i wanted to get home quickly. Dont get me wrong here i was not flying thru gears or anything neither was i going fast last glance at the speed i was around 50 -60mph. I proceed to get into the left lane from the on ramp to I-90hwy. One car passed me and i was in 5 gear turn my blinker on and all of a sudden cars back end just gets away from me i quickly notice what was going on so i went neutral (dont know if this helped or not) , i gently started to apply steering but by that time the car was literally 90 degrees sideways.. it wipped around to the right then left and i notice i was getting dead close to the wall i counterlock it again it did help, but the outcome was drivers side headlight, bumper , lip kit, foglight housing and tiny bend in the fender corner have all kissed the concrete barrier.. Car has 3500miles brand new wicked white x . Now my question is did i cause this to happen , are the tires not meant to rain, sorry for my long story its just damn sad for me atleast.
Airbags did not deploy and damage is from what i came see is just cosmetic.
Any replys would be appreciated

JoeyM3 Mar 8, 2009 11:11 AM

sorry to hear, you want to avoid the fast/slow lanes when it rains hard since the water collects on the sides of the freeway. but the tires are performance tires, not meant for heavy rain.

Stop&TurnFreak Mar 8, 2009 11:12 AM

Never take the power off, but don't worry about it, the car can be fixed, it did it's job, protecting you.

atombomb33 Mar 8, 2009 11:15 AM

Sorry to hear what happened. Good thing is that you aren't hurt and nobody else was hurt. The car will get fixed by your insurance company. Your rates will likely go up unless you have accident forgiveness.

To your question about did you cause this...it sounds like it was driver error and not having a full understanding of the car's capabilities in wet conditions. Not trying to be harsh or anything, but it's best that you realize this happened because of your driving ability. Learn from this and you'll be a better, safer driver. If you ever get the chance, try to do a safe-driver course or a high-performance driver education day at a racetrack. They'll teach all about vehicle dynamics and how to handle a car better in emergency situations.

Good luck with the insurance. You're X will be good as new.

FLOW1 Mar 8, 2009 11:17 AM

Sorry to hear.

falcon007 Mar 8, 2009 11:23 AM

put it in neutral was a fatal error since you pretty much just dessactive the AWD so no more system to put you in the right way... Good luck with the repair!

AviKM Mar 8, 2009 11:24 AM

had a similar thing happen to me in my 9, bald tires + cold floor = rip evo. **** happens, just gotta move forward and learn from it.

Blitz Mar 8, 2009 11:31 AM

Sorry to hear that man. I was at my girl's house last night when it seemed like the worst of it was falling. I strongly considered driving home anyway but ended up spending the night. You just never know.

ZWingerRyRy Mar 8, 2009 11:38 AM

Yea s-awd wont kick in if no power is given.

Smike Mar 8, 2009 11:40 AM

Too fast for conditions. Too quick of a lane change. Improper save attempt.

cleanIX Mar 8, 2009 11:42 AM

Messed up my ix in the rain, smashed into a wall of rocks. Tires just not meant to be in the heavy rain. Live and you learn, that god for insurance. Good luck with the fix, hope it's not out of your hands for too long.

TheBlueBlur Mar 8, 2009 11:49 AM

Sorry to hear. Putting the car in neutral was a bad idea though, because you cant correct anything and the car cant put its AWD to use.

BocaShula Mar 8, 2009 11:51 AM

stock tires are poo poo

xPRimNT Mar 8, 2009 01:02 PM

Sorry to hear.

At least you're fine! And car doesn't seem too bad.

PS - If you need a new (non-SSS) Driver's side headlight, I just happen to have one!

hcope316 Mar 8, 2009 01:18 PM

it could have been worse