EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Broken Windshield (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/421672-broken-windshield.html)

ohheyitzjon May 18, 2009 02:00 PM

Broken Windshield

Driving down the 710s behind a few big rig trucks, a rock comes crashing down at my windshield and now I have two cracks running along the bottom of my windshield about 12 inches and the second running from the bottom to the top of the windshield (about 36inches). :crap:

Does anyone know of a good (cheap) place I can take my car to get the windshield replaced around the Long Beach area? The cheapest I've found is 265, but I read of places being in the 130's and 150's.

heel2toe May 18, 2009 02:11 PM

Damn that sucks. Glad I live in MA where windshields are covered under insurance with no deductible. Good luck with that. FYI does anyone know if there is a difference in the glass between a lancer and the evo x because apparently on VIII and IX's the glass is lighter in comparison to a lancer.

macPSU May 18, 2009 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 7073760)
FYI does anyone know if there is a difference in the glass between a lancer and the evo x because apparently on VIII and IX's the glass is lighter in comparison to a lancer.

I'd also like to know this. I've heard both sides of the story but I don't know which is correct.

Xtremist May 18, 2009 06:34 PM

Nope no difference, the base lancer and evo glass are the same, trust me I had to replace mine! I just recently had to have two chips repaired in the new glass as well!!! Check out safelite auto glass.

stikllr13 May 18, 2009 06:41 PM

Wow I just got home from town driving on the I-5 and the same thing happend to me just ten min ago. I know how you feel but luckily windshields are covered with no deductible here in OR. Damn truckers pulling out in front of you..........I'm pissed

ugakirk May 19, 2009 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by macPSU (Post 7074069)
I'd also like to know this. I've heard both sides of the story but I don't know which is correct.

Yea that sucks. Samething happened to me. I had the glass company come out to where I work and replace it and I think it was only like $140.

And on the glass thickness, I think the "OEM" glass might be the same as many people say but the windshield I have now feels almost twice as thick. It may be that some aftermarket windshields that you can get installed for the X's are thicker or something. The difference is pretty crazy though.

DVDee May 19, 2009 12:43 PM

I just ordered the OEM glass for like $300+ I hope that wasn't a mistake. Did you guys have to get the top and bottom moldings for the glass too?

Xtremist May 19, 2009 06:22 PM

Yeap the moldings didn't come with my glass, separate purchase!

SRT4 to Evox May 19, 2009 10:49 PM

dood my window broke the "first" time when a stoopid truck was hauling a ton of rocks and I saw a golf ball size hit me and left a crack that spreaded across my window.

got it replaced for 240$

and THEN GOT ANOTHER CRACK ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY FRONT WINDSHIELD.

location california.

this suxors.

evo windows sucks

ohheyitzjon May 20, 2009 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by SRT4 to Evox (Post 7079850)
dood my window broke the "first" time when a stoopid truck was hauling a ton of rocks and I saw a golf ball size hit me and left a crack that spreaded across my window.

got it replaced for 240$

and THEN GOT ANOTHER CRACK ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY FRONT WINDSHIELD.

location california.

this suxors.

evo windows sucks

Where did you get it replaced for 240? Cheapest I've found is 265. Anyone know any other shops here in the LA- Long Beach area?

SRT4 to Evox May 20, 2009 12:52 AM

hmmm forgot it was last year.

I opened up the yellow book.
look up window replacement//repairs.

called like 5 places looked for the general price. and picked the cheapest one.

then offered him cash and it was 240$ installed he even came to my work and did it within 2 hours I think i forget.

just say window for 08 lancer.

flyguycfi May 20, 2009 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 7073760)
Damn that sucks. Glad I live in MA where windshields are covered under insurance with no deductible. Good luck with that. FYI does anyone know if there is a difference in the glass between a lancer and the evo x because apparently on VIII and IX's the glass is lighter in comparison to a lancer.

They are the same. It was discussed in another thread and some member asked the Safelite guy when he came to repair his X's windshield as well.

DVDee May 20, 2009 10:31 AM

Did the OEM upper and lower moldings fit the aftermarket glass for you guys?

Red Dragon May 20, 2009 01:30 PM

Saskatchewan Insurance (SGI). $50 glass replacement! Haha.

ohheyitzjon May 21, 2009 01:11 PM

Bump for an answer