EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Ok ok please forgive my ignorance but, (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/596391-ok-ok-please-forgive-my-ignorance-but.html)

ahayes04 Feb 3, 2012 01:25 PM

Ok ok please forgive my ignorance but,

I'm going to get an evo soon and I hate sounding like 99% of people who want one but I am interested in Rally. Now I am not trying to do it to become pro, I'm fine with the Air Force as my career, but amateur sounds like a fun hobby along with working with an Evo itself. I do know that rally requires a two liter four cylinder for engine size among other things. My questions are should I buy the Rally sport and replace the minor parts with Evo parts or buy an evo and swap the v6? Also is this goal even semi realistic?

blk-majik Feb 3, 2012 01:32 PM

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com/.a...ecb8970c-320wi

NFSLancerRA Feb 3, 2012 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ahayes04 (Post 9938899)
or buy an evo and swap the v6?

WTF?

I'm not sure that I would buy an X for Rally. It also seems like you have a lot of research to do before getting started with this.

wjamyers Feb 3, 2012 01:45 PM

so you wanna RallyX? I did it once way back with my '02 WRX. Alot of fun. my all seasons were not up to the dirt AT ALL. VERY nearly crashed my baby, couldn't put my power down, or negotiate curves, got smoked by people driving "POS"es that knew what they were doing ha ha ha ha.

Knowing that, I'd get any old beater for it nowadays (or maybe put some decent tires on my old WRX since my new baby is the Evo, LOL), perhaps a beater with rally heritage like a hyundai accent or a mazda 323. go through your initial learning curve with a dirt cheap beater and THEN once you know what you are doing, get your "expensive" rally monster.

I beat the living snot out of my WRX, jumped it, bashed it up a little, drove it on gravel, knocked my stock wheels out of true. I won't do that to my Evo.

Oh My Evo X Feb 3, 2012 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA (Post 9938928)
WTF?

I'm not sure that I would buy an X for Rally. It also seems like you have a lot of research to do before getting started with this.

^^This.. what in gods name.. v6 swap?

BCOZEVO Feb 3, 2012 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Oh My Evo X (Post 9938971)

I was kind of thinking the same thing, what is an evo V6 swap?

an2ny Feb 3, 2012 01:55 PM

LOL, what are you talking about the V6?
1) Professional rally WRC rules do not apply to you, unless you are going to race there.
2) Google “rally-cross” and find some around your area, also you can rally-cross ANY car that you have. You don’t need an AWD car specially an new or expensive car since it will get damaged and abused. After participating in some Rally-cross event you will get the idea on what to do or where to go from there.

NFSLancerRA Feb 3, 2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Oh My Evo X (Post 9938971)

I equate this to when I get asked by dumb kids at gas stations whether or not my car is twin-turbo. Idiots.

Evolution Z Feb 3, 2012 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by blk-majik (Post 9938924)

this man knows his trolls.

0/10 troll fail

Iowa999 Feb 3, 2012 03:18 PM

I was tempted to say that you posted in the wrong forum - that you want to be in the forum for Evo 8s and 9s, instead of Xs - but after reading the previous replies, it's clear that even wouldn't be enough of a change. Google "DirtyEvo." Talk to you again soon.

TheBlade Feb 3, 2012 03:20 PM

I'm thinking, troll too HOWEVER, just because good commenting is good commenting:

Guy I knew got into regional amateur rally. His car of choice, 80's Audi. Thing was BADASS (probably hard to find parts for now a days), but the car he started with was a salvaged title beater.

Step 1:
I say find a beat-to-hell suabaru (even like a loyale or something).

Step 2:
For mods...drop the weight, add no power.

Step 3:
Makes sure you safety equipment is great.

Step 4:
Spend a lot of timing improving the driver mod.

Step Elebenty Million:
Get sponsor to buy your EvoX to Rally

mct9891 Feb 3, 2012 03:26 PM

V6...???
http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/imag...ackie-chan.jpg

ahayes04 Feb 4, 2012 12:40 AM

Look I'm not even going to attempt to deny this. I know very very little about cars. The only one that's ever stood out to me is the Evo. I assure you I'm not trolling you. Please don't try to insult my intelligence, by no chance am I stupid. As I've said I know almost nothing about cars. I can drive manual, change my own, spark plugs and tires that's it. Nothing that's worth using in building a nice car. I was told forums are a great way to find such things out. I was just about to do something so I registered this account and posted this in a rush. Any actual help as far as research or information would be highly appreciated.

Phantom09 Feb 4, 2012 06:11 AM

i never knew my evo had a v6! thats why she so fast!

TheBlade Feb 4, 2012 06:16 AM

:( I was trying to give an honest response. I only suggested an old Subie because I'm sure no one on here would want to see an Evo 8 or 9 get wrecked, but if it was a Subie, they would be cheering inside a little.