EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Almost traded my Evo in, needed gut check (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/631473-almost-traded-my-evo-needed-gut-check.html)

Noize Oct 5, 2012 07:42 PM

Almost traded my Evo in, needed gut check

I have an 08 GSR modded just the way I want it, clean, only 36k miles, that I recently paid off. I had been considering heavily trading it in the past couple of months.

I have had a couple things at work against me.

First of all, commuting has gotten loud due to the tires, but they only have 12,000 miles on them and have plenty of tread left. More on that in a minute.

Second of all, and this is the big one, I have started road cycling heavily (for me) this year, and I have my bike in my car a lot. There's a hitch on my wife's car and we have a phenomenal rack, but she can't/won't drive my car since it's a manual and too loud for her, so unless we're going on a family ride, I don't have access to the bike rack.

I'm not putting a hitch on the Evo, and don't even think they make one. I'm not putting on a crappy trunk rack like the Saris Bones, I don't want to scratch up my trunk and bike. And I'm sure as heck not putting a roof rack on an aluminum roof car.

This leaves me of pulling out child seats and removing the front wheel. It's a pain, and orienting the pedals, watching the chainrings on the interior, watching the pedals on the seats... You get the picture.

I borrowed a friend's Golf one day, and was able to throw my road bike in the back of that fully assembled, drama free. This, coupled with loud commute, and crummy gas mileage, had me thinking seriously about selling my car and getting almost enough to pay cash for a new GTI.

I've been down this road before with Evos, three other times to be exact, and have come crawling and slithering back every time I sold one. I've had this one 3 and a half years, so longer than any other Evo I've owned.

I have a close buddy that just got some Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in a larger size. I don't really want to roll my fenders, but I drove his car today and followed him in my car. This led me to learn two things: My car looks freaking wicked driving down the road and I would be an idiot to trade it, and I must get these POS Nitto NT05 tires off my car post haste.

I get it that cars wear tires and we run performance rubber, but when they get wear that starts to make a lot of noise, they suck. I hated the NT05s from the day I mounted them new, and the fact they are loud now just amplifies that hatred substantially. They're coming off ASAP!

Cliff's Notes: Sorry for my uneven rants that were all over the place. My purpose in making this thread is that if you are ever thinking of selling your car, get someone else to drive it and take a few hard looks at it first. You'll be glad you did. :)

ugakirk Oct 5, 2012 07:53 PM

Haha. I've really thought about trading in my car/selling it, and there is actually a guy coming this week to check it out and perhaps buy it.. This is what worries me.. Sellers remorse. I know I'll regret it, but I really do need the extra space/better gas mileage/nicer interior/quieter ride..

Funny thing is I'm actually thinking about moving to a loaded TDI or maybe GTI as well.. :lol: hopefully I'll be back in an Evo a few years down the road, I just can't afford it right now.. :( I love Evos and have DD'd them everyday for almost 6 years now..

Edit: And, I have NT05s too.. :lol:

3BEEPS Oct 5, 2012 07:56 PM

glad you came to your senses

golgo13 Oct 5, 2012 08:03 PM

Great thread, Seth. Would read again.

:lol:

2x4 Oct 5, 2012 08:07 PM

My oem tires are really loud and I'm interested in the super sports. What's your take / detailed assessments of the super sports?

jojipoji Oct 5, 2012 08:09 PM

Buy another car. Your car is paid off. That's what I did. That's why I have three cars.

Mistaken Oct 5, 2012 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by jojipoji (Post 10438602)
Buy another car. Your car is paid off. That's what I did. That's why I have three cars.

Not a bad idea. Get a better everyday car and have the evo for non biking days and spirited driving.

Noize Oct 5, 2012 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by jojipoji (Post 10438602)

I bought my wife a new car instead. I don't want more than one car payment. This car is great, paid for, and only has 36k on it. I just need a bicycle teleporter and some tires that don't suck.

cla2000 Oct 5, 2012 08:24 PM

I have a cheap trunk rack from wallmart and my bike fits great on it. No damage to trunk or bike. Just put some tape on the hooks and youll be ok. The gti is a nice smooth car but performance wise is a joke compared to a moded evo. Wake up and forget abot a trade in.
I also have super sports on my car and love them. Sticky and lower noise than stock yokohamas. Those yokos lasted me about 11000 miles and they got so loud that I just could not stand them anymore.

Noize Oct 5, 2012 08:55 PM

I have a carbon bike that set me back a pretty penny, I just can't do it. Our main rack is a Thule T2, and it secures the bike by the tires, not the frame. I'll just keep pulling the wheel off. ;)

wjamyers Oct 5, 2012 09:34 PM

I put pilot super sports on my IX. they are simply telepathic never had such confidence inspiring tires in the wet and the dry.

iamblue03 Oct 5, 2012 09:53 PM

I would sell it.. Utility plays a big role in life. I will be on the same boat if my wife's pregnant. We'll be getting a big car and a medium size sedan.

MaximumYin Oct 5, 2012 10:08 PM

GTIs are fantastic DD cars for people who like cars. Evos decimate them in every performance category and are for people who love driving. I don't think you'd be happy in the long run.

Alpha X Oct 5, 2012 10:46 PM

Thanks for the advice! I wanted to get rid of my car before and I'm glad I didn't.

thegoodservant Oct 5, 2012 11:24 PM

There a few people whom put roof racks on Evos.