EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Need help diagnosing (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/632139-need-help-diagnosing.html)

adams lancer Oct 10, 2012 02:56 PM

Need help diagnosing

Hey, my name is Adam
i recently bought a 2003 lancer, so ill describe the problem as it began.

a few weeks ago i started having problems starting the car afterwork around 330pm having to turn the key a few times, but had no problems in the morning while it was cold out. it wasnt untill last week when it started getting really bad, taking up to a half hour to get it started. but still starting on the first key turn if it was cold out. now it just does not want to seem to start at all, when its warm out except just randomly it will. but if its nice and cold out it still starts on the first key turn.

the check engine light is NOT on. i bought a engine code reader and plugged it into dlc but it found no problems as expected.

ideas ive heard that could be wrong are the electric ignition coil or crankshaft position sensor. but i really have no idea.

any ideas at all would be a huge help. please and thank you.

ImEv0 Oct 10, 2012 03:32 PM

too many variables here.

is your car stock? have you checked your batter or the battery connection? have you made any changes to your car? ie, installed new hu or speakers?

also, wrong forum.

adams lancer Oct 10, 2012 03:36 PM

umm no i have not made any changes. like a i said i just bought the car. it was a private sale. car has 230k on it, and i dont think its the battery like i said it still starts randomly and always starts when its cold. but ill checking the connection anyway.

Ikaika14 Oct 10, 2012 03:42 PM

Test the battery. .. also what does it sound like when you turn the key and it doesnt start?

adams lancer Oct 10, 2012 03:48 PM

battery seems fine. umm there is no sound at all. like nothing is happening.
occasionally it will fire up tho. and runs perfectly fine untill i shut it off again.

TheBlade Oct 10, 2012 04:23 PM

Check your fuses too --- Actually double reading your issues, sometimes fuel pumps die like that.

Takes 4 things to start an engine. Fuel, Spark, Compression and Air.
1. Air - Even if your MAF is unplugged your car *should* start, but doesn't hurt to check to make sure everything looks good with no leaks after the MAF
2. Compression - Quick compression check, or chances are you would of mentioned loss of power and excessive smoke prior to this no-start condition
3. Spark - DVOM or test light check the coilpacks are getting power, and the battery is at 14v without load at least 12v during a load dump. Check plugs.
4. Fuel - check for pump turning on, and injectors are able to fire, and fuel is making it to the rail with pressure. *( I would think when you turn the key to on, you should hear the hum of the pump build pressure prior to turning the key to the start position) *

adams lancer Oct 10, 2012 04:56 PM

is it possible its a spark plug problem?

EvoJutsu Oct 10, 2012 04:59 PM

grounding kit; check wires. Check fuses too.

goevox Oct 11, 2012 10:48 PM

could be a starter if you turn the key and the engine doesnt crank.

adams lancer Oct 14, 2012 06:55 PM

I did end up fixing it, turned out to be the ignition switch.

ugakirk Oct 14, 2012 07:15 PM

^^ haha. That's what I was going to suggest.

Our little lancer at work has trouble starting and that's what it was. I actually didn't replace it though. I took off the covers around the steer wheel column and found the spot that was messed up. There was a loose connection on ours. I zip tied it up and it has worked perfect for about a year now. :)