EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Sluggish when pulling out (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/698591-sluggish-when-pulling-out.html)

02modlanceroz Aug 31, 2014 10:26 PM

Sluggish when pulling out

I have been on evom for awhile and just finally bought an evo. I purchased a 2014 Evo GSR. I searched the best I could before creating a thread.

What I noticed is that when pulling out, it seems like I'm never giving it enough gas. Like I have to press the pedal pretty far down to the floor to get a response. This is only in 1st gear. If I spike the gas a few times before pulling out, it's not that bad. But if I don't, when the clutch is fully engaged I can barely get out of my own way til boost kicks in. The car only has 300 miles on it so I haven't beat on it at all yet.

I have a turboed wrx too and it has a lot of throttle response while pulling out. I also have a lancer I turboed and it seems like it has way more response than the Evo. I drove the lancer for the 1st time after a wk and I was tacking the gas way up because I was used to the Evo. I'm just wondering if this is common. The only thing I found was that someone mentioned that in the rom you can set the throttle from 5% to 100% in all the tables and it will be more responsive.

Just want to make sure nothing is wrong with the car b4 I go tuning it and voiding my warranty. Thanks in advanc!

EvilRob Sep 1, 2014 08:29 AM

Sounds normal remember the lancer is only fwd and now you have all 4 wheels to move in a heavier platform, its also heavier than the wrx you had which I believe has a 2.5 l engine so more displacement gives you little bit more torque down low. Its tricky to take off quick but usually if I rev it to around 4k I have no problem getting it going just have to slip the clutch a little bit. Also a tune will def help.

Napalm_Enema Sep 1, 2014 09:29 AM

Coming from an 08 STi I know the feeling. That instant torque is gone with the 2.0 engine. That being said, yes you need to give it more gas than you are used to giving it. Just get used it, then when you add some power later, you'll be happier with the 'feeling' of the car. The ultra-lag still bothers me, as I'm still stock, but I've learned to compensate for it and drive to accommodate it as well.

Enjoy the car, it'll grow on you!!

02modlanceroz Sep 1, 2014 10:33 AM

Thanks I appreciate the comments and that's what I was hoping. Now I can start looking for mods. I'm looking at getting the ETS v2, not sure on which one I want. Little afraid of getting the extreme, my inspection guy may or may not pass it.

I haven't decided if I I'm just going catback or turbo back at first. Really don't want to tune it til I get a few thousand miles on it. Make sure everything is good before I void the warranty.

Are more ppl using the Cobb accessport or ecu flash? I have a Cobb accessport that came with the wrx when I bought it. Not sure if you can use it on more than one car or not. From what I read to have to have Cobb reset it. Anyways, my wife drives the wrx and I can't let her have a faster car than me lol. She just put down 297whp and 317ft/lbs of torque. :-/

Ev0ikon Sep 1, 2014 11:46 AM

If you want that nice grunt from a stop build a higher compression stroker. :}

Napalm_Enema Sep 1, 2014 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz (Post 11291954)
Thanks I appreciate the comments and that's what I was hoping. Now I can start looking for mods. I'm looking at getting the ETS v2, not sure on which one I want. Little afraid of getting the extreme, my inspection guy may or may not pass it.

I haven't decided if I I'm just going catback or turbo back at first. Really don't want to tune it til I get a few thousand miles on it. Make sure everything is good before I void the warranty.

Are more ppl using the Cobb accessport or ecu flash? I have a Cobb accessport that came with the wrx when I bought it. Not sure if you can use it on more than one car or not. From what I read to have to have Cobb reset it. Anyways, my wife drives the wrx and I can't let her have a faster car than me lol. She just put down 297whp and 317ft/lbs of torque. :-/

You should research more, then decide what to do. You're approaching this like a WRX, which it really isn't in a lot of ways when it comes to mods. For instance, you really are only advised to do the downpipe if you have a bigger turbo. Doing it stock isn't the 'first thing' you should do, like it would be with a Subaru.

Most seem to get a test pipe, EBCS, CAI, and tune. Or skip the CAI. Either way, just research, then plan a mod path that is in your budget. There are a lot of great sounding exhausts out there too. I'd check out the Sakura exhaust, I think it sounds better than the V2 personally. Or you can go crazy and get the Akropovic which sounds amazeballs but costs a small fortune.

Enjoy the car!

cravnpup Sep 2, 2014 07:35 AM

This is quite normal and is a result of a combination of things including: a fairly lightweight flywheel, heavy awd platform, small 2.0 liter engine with relatively low compression and a large(ish) stock turbo.

My old wrx was easier to get off the line thanks to the 2.5 liter and a heavier flywheel, but it was slower in every other situation.

shekaar Sep 2, 2014 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz (Post 11291954)

As was said, you can skip the downpipe initially. The install can be a pain, and the gains aren't there for the money on a stock turbo. A test pipe, cat back, intake and tune with a 3 port is the usual first round of performance mods.

You can't use your WRX accessport on the Evo. They're all vehicle specific to my knowledge. Regardless, save the money and get an opensource tune. Unless you have a burning desire to have a hand held tuning device, there isn't much reason to tune on an AP.

02modlanceroz Sep 2, 2014 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by shekaar (Post 11292415)
They're all vehicle specific to my knowledge. Regardless, save the money and get an opensource tune. Unless you have a burning desire to have a hand held tuning device, there isn't much reason to tune on an AP.

That's what I figured. I been using ecu flash and evo scan on my lancer so I'm already familiar with it. Just need to get a tactrix cable for it.

02modlanceroz Sep 2, 2014 08:22 AM

I think the catback and test pipe will be the 1st mod I make. After doing some searching, yeah the downpipe only adds a few hp and depending on what ever turbo upgrade you go with. You may or may not need to replace the downpipe. So I'll cross that when I get to it.

It will probably take some time before I make a move on an exhaust. I been listening to exhaust sounds for the past wk. YouTube just don't do any justice. So hard to hear low tones without distortion. I'll just keep reading reviews.

I'm also going to have to upgrade the shifter and bushings. Way to much slop for my liking. Especially 2nd to 3rd.
All in all, really glad I decided to trade in the coyote mustang on this.

Napalm_Enema Sep 2, 2014 10:50 AM

Listen to the Akropovik so you can drool over them then see the price and go OMGWTF.

jrmck Sep 4, 2014 07:34 PM

I have a 2014 Evo as well and that was my biggest issue. After a few thousand km, the car opened a bit more hut it was still slow off then start and sometimes if it would bog down. My first mod was the hks dry filter and that made a slight but noticeable difference in first gear, but civics still had a car length on me from a stop before my turbo kicked in. My next mod was the Cobb AP and that changed everything drastically. I wasn't getting as much torque off the line as I wanted, but it was better. Then I did a Cobb cat back and Test pipe and still... I still wasn't happy with the lack of torque but it was a huge difference and now with a few blips of the throttle before take off, I'm keeping up or beating cars off the line. I would suggest going the route I did, exhaust and testpipe, filter or intake and Cobb AP or tune. That's all you can do to fix the problem before doing heavy mods.

A3188 Sep 4, 2014 08:26 PM

Thats what she said ....

kosteniuks17 Sep 5, 2014 06:55 AM

hahah thats what I was just about to say when I saw this.

02modlanceroz Sep 5, 2014 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by A3188 (Post 11294526)
Thats what she said ....

Hahaha.. Sorry! I tried to pull out faster :-/