EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   who does oil changes > 3k intervals? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/726298-who-does-oil-changes-3k-intervals.html)

CaptainCrunch Mar 16, 2016 06:06 AM

who does oil changes > 3k intervals?

I searched the forum many times, read every thread. Not asking the argument of "when should I.." or "whats OK for synthetic..", just if anyone is running longer than the 3k intervals for oil changes. Curious to see. 3k is really soon for a modern car running on synthetic. Thanks.

Buru_EvoX Mar 16, 2016 06:09 AM

I believe the owners manual suggests a 5k interval for our car if stock. I change my oil between the 3-5k window.

Cloud0307 Mar 16, 2016 06:10 AM

I do mine every 3k. On a modified car I think 5k is pushing it.

nvmaddog Mar 16, 2016 06:10 AM

For the most part I've noticed members changing on the 3k interval. Mitsu switched their description from 5k to 3k for the Evo a few years ago, and if I were buying one used I'd want to see that schedule being followed.

.M. Mar 16, 2016 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Buru_EvoX (Post 11590187)
I change my oil between the 3-5k window.

Same here.

PriusRepellent Mar 16, 2016 10:34 AM

I do mine anywhere between 3k - 4k. And to be honest you don't HAVE to do it exactly at 3k, its just a benchmark for "its time to do oil change soon"

However for the longevity of the car, I wouldn't wait till 5k.

hoobastnk90 Mar 16, 2016 10:56 AM

I usually do it when the stupid oil pump thing starts whining....

hydro334 Mar 16, 2016 11:19 AM

I've done 3 in the first 5k miles lol. First to get whatever the factory put in then the last 2 before and after my etune. I was hitting redline every time I was in the car for a while. It's like $25 to do, so why not?

Dandbest Mar 16, 2016 12:07 PM

If you want to have an actual answer, versus opinions pulled out of thin air and unicorns, have oil analysis done. I've been doing this with all my previous evos, and now with the FE I'm doing every one. The first one was at 1100 miles, and the report showed a bunch of aluminum and stuff you'd expect from an engine breaking in. The second one I did at 4800 (so 3700 on the oil) and it came back much better. Blackstone suggested I do 3500 on this oil and send it in. I'm sure the report will come back with a different number of miles for the next oil change. The cost is $38, but well worth it, if you're anal retentive. Go to blackstonelabs.com and they'll send you a sample kit for free. For what it's worth, I'm using castrol 0-30

hoobastnk90 Mar 16, 2016 02:04 PM

Ehh edit it was off topic.

pistolpete69916 Mar 16, 2016 02:30 PM

Ive waited till 5k a few times in the past, usually its pretty dirty by then and you notice it in the changes afterwards as well. I typically do it at 3500-4000.

Biggiesacks Mar 16, 2016 02:36 PM

Depends how you drive it. If you are beating on it pretty hard 3k is probably a good idea. If you are mostly just commuting then 5k should be fine. If you do a track day you probably want to change it before and after.

CaptainCrunch Mar 16, 2016 03:56 PM

Interesting stuff. Thanks everyone. Was curious what you all were doing. I don't drive this thing hard at all, to be honest. I was just interested in knowing real life results you have all had. Its funny to me that Mitsubishi went from 5k intervals with synthetic only, down to 3k intervals on regular oils. I talked to a bunch of techs from other manufacturers and none really dismissed Mitsubishi but they couldn't really rationalize why the short intervals..even with the "why? race car" concept.

CaptainCrunch Mar 16, 2016 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Buru_EvoX (Post 11590187)
I believe the owners manual suggests a 5k interval for our car if stock. I change my oil between the 3-5k window.

Yeah, that was a big part of why I asked. The change in intervals is weird to me.

Originally Posted by Dandbest (Post 11590360)
If you want to have an actual answer, versus opinions pulled out of thin air and unicorns, have oil analysis done. I've been doing this with all my previous evos, and now with the FE I'm doing every one. The first one was at 1100 miles, and the report showed a bunch of aluminum and stuff you'd expect from an engine breaking in. The second one I did at 4800 (so 3700 on the oil) and it came back much better. Blackstone suggested I do 3500 on this oil and send it in. I'm sure the report will come back with a different number of miles for the next oil change. The cost is $38, but well worth it, if you're anal retentive. Go to blackstonelabs.com and they'll send you a sample kit for free. For what it's worth, I'm using castrol 0-30

Can you keep us posted on results please? Thanks. Also, I like unicorns. I am going to check that site out. Thanks for that info.

pistolpete69916 Mar 16, 2016 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch (Post 11590453)
Interesting stuff. Thanks everyone. Was curious what you all were doing. I don't drive this thing hard at all, to be honest. I was just interested in knowing real life results you have all had. Its funny to me that Mitsubishi went from 5k intervals with synthetic only, down to 3k intervals on regular oils. I talked to a bunch of techs from other manufacturers and none really dismissed Mitsubishi but they couldn't really rationalize why the short intervals..even with the "why? race car" concept.

Our motors see much more heat/pressure/wear than your average car. Its a relatively high output in a very small package (2L).

On a 3L turbo car like a 335i, of course you can go a bit longer on the intervals because they dont get anywhere near as hot, and they run less than half of the amount of boost a stock evo does.

Thats why you can go 7000 miles (insane) on mobil 1 with a bone stock 335, and the oil comes out not pitch black. On any evo, if you beat the **** out of it then that oil will be pitch black by 3000 miles. Ive repeated this many times.